Slow/CC/freeze on bosses?

Hi,
Curious how effective, if at all, are "crowd control" mechanics and abilities on bosses such as Domninus, Kaom, Daresso, Malachai, etc. Example: How effective is cold damage's freeze mechanic(if you are able to do any freezing)? Or how effective would a tempest shield debuf be on, for example, malachai? Is it a reduced effectiveness, or full?

To freeze boss, you will need to deal at least 5% maximum life of that boss. So, it will be hard to reach that level, but some can do it (ice spear and freeze pulse, and perhaps cold snap?). Crowd control mechanics on bosses require some passive points to make them able to do so. So, if you do not built around those skill, then it is better to get other distraction (i.e. skeleton brotem). Only exception I can think of is Arctic breath, which guarantee to apply chilled.
I believe chill is less effective against bosses, however.

I've heard some anecdotal accounts that if you dedicate your build on freezing bosses, you can reliably do so up till tier 12 or so maps. At that point they simply have too much life.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Well, aside from just chill...what about tempest shield?

Is it safe to say that these CC mechanics are good for everything but bosses(when you really need it?)
Tempest Shield is a self buff, so it always applies no matter who you are fighting.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with Temporal Chains?

Temporal Chains is a curse, and as such bosses have a 60% resistance to them. Without any investment, that brings TC to somewhere less than 20% slow, which isn't all that much. With 20/20 gem and 40% increased effectiveness from support gems and tree though, you can keep it at a respectable 32%, which isn't so bad.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Im sorry I meant temporal chains!

brain fart
Slow can be applied with arctic breath spell totem for perma slow, maybe with chain and increased duration:

Arctic Breath (level 1 or higher) - Spell Totem - Incrased Duration - Chain

Temporal chains (and curses in genereal) have 60% reduced effects.
So with +40% effects bonus, it will become only 20% reduced effects.

With enough preparation, you can get 52% temporal chains slow unmodified. At 80% effectivity it would be 44,8% slow.

Chil is something about 30% or 33% slow. I dont know if it is modiefied by Bosses.

Since you need 300ms to freeze and each percent of damage done to boss gives 60ms, you need 5% as single hit to the boss to freeze it.

Last edited by Fumina on Jan 11, 2016, 4:48:23 AM
If you want to Freeze bosses, Freeze Duration is pretty crucial; it effectively reduces the amount of Damage you need to deal to hit the 300ms theshold.
I consider the most reliable cc on bosses to be a stun. When investing hard in stun threshold (~140%+) the damage needed per hit can be drastically reduced.. and it is generally easier to deal big hits to the bosses with phys than with elemental damage

also, when you stun, the duration is fixed an can be greatly increased. some bosses may have some increased stun recovery though
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Jan 11, 2016, 11:15:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info