[2.1] Crit Buzzsaw - Dagger Version (Ele Crit ST Guide) 40k+ GMP dps with Lightning Pen

Hey guys,
this is my version of the Elemental Crit Buzzsaw build.

Basics & Idea behind the Build:

Spoiler
This build revolves around Spectral Throw as it's main skill and utilizes extremely fast Whirling Blades attacks for great mobility and some defense (very easy to dodge alot of the incoming attacks.) Our main skill mainly gets its damage from stacking as much lightning damage as possible, through jewels, wrath, herald of thunder and gear. This is important, because this allows us to use Lightning Penetration which bypasses a downside of alot of elemental attack builds, which is fighting against highly resistant mobs. It also works as a great damage multiplier against monsters with little to no resistance.

Sidenote: This build is sort of just a dagger version of Mathils sword crit buzzsaw, which he killed Uber Atziri with.

Why should i play this build? What are the pros and cons?

Pros

- Very high mobility
- Spectral Throw hits a large portion of the screen
(- both of the previous points result in high clearspeed)
- Fun to play, since it's such a fast playstyle
- can do most content in the game (Uber Atziri included)
- very safe if you keep your distance

Cons

- not very tanky, you can not facetank things that well
- no single target skill, so tanky bosses take somewhat long to kill (compared to blast rain etc)
- somewhat high entry cost to get an actually good character running
- cannot handle reflect very well (Reflect maps are impossible, and if you're unlucky you will die to reflect mobs on -max maps unless you have a really high life pool.

Skilltree:

Spoiler

Complete Skill tree at level 91: poeurl.com/vfJ
For a lower level version (lvl 87) you have three options depending on what content you want to do: Drop frenzy charges or ranger life nodes or the nodes after acrobatics

Leveling:

Spoiler

Leveling works best if you have some leveling gear. First of all you want Elreon Rings with as much - to cost of skills as possible so you can use your skills for free. Pick up a wanderlust and some other leveling uniques of your choice and youre good to go.
For the first levels Stormcloud is a very good option, since you will only pick up general crit/speed/dmg nodes. (Your tree will look something like this: poeurl.com/vfK) Pick up the nodes at the ranger start and then head towards the Scion area as soon as possible, to grab the Jewel socket for Static electricity, which greatly increases your dmg in early levels.) At level 10 you can equip a "Night's Hold" Talisman with a green socket. Put a rain of arrows in there and you will be oneshotting packs for a good while. (Feel free to try other skills too, for example Blast Rain at lvl 28)

After you picked up the nodes in thetree shown above, it's pretty much up to you where to go. You can decide to go towards the Dagger nodes in the Shadow area if you have a good dagger to level with, otherwise you can go towards the Duelist to pick up more defense, general damage nodes and some sustain. Duelist might be better but it's up to you.

When you have a decent life pool + regen and your 5L/6L you should swap to Spectral Throw if you haven't yet.

Bandits:

Spoiler
Normal - Oak (40 Life)
Cruel - Kraityn (8% Attack speed)
Merciless - Alira (+1 Power Charge) [You can also choose Kraityn here if you want]

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Offence without Charges

Offence with Charges + Bloodrage

Offence with Charges + Bloodrage + Vaal Haste + Atziri's Promise

Defense

Gear & Gem Links

General Gear Tips

Helmet
Rat's Nest is pretty much the best choice here, highest dps, best mobility. Alternatively you can use Alpha's Howl as it's much cheaper.

Body Armour
Your best three options are probably these three unique body armours:
-Belly of the Beast (This helps with your somewhat low life pool, but doesnt give alot of evasion. I will be using this in my build since i need life to not get oneshot by Uber Atziri's Spears.)

-Daresso's Defiance (Some more dodge chance, an okay amount of life, decent evasion and most importantly: Free endurance charges and Onslaught. Overall pretty solid choice.)

Lightning Coil (Helps alot against physical damage, but it will be harder to cap resists so this will probably lower your DPS by a bit, unless you have insane gear.)

If you can't afford a 6L of either of those, feel free to use a Rare chest with life + high evasion + resists, it'S also a viable option (I'm still using one right now)

Gloves
With gloves you have 3 options. Either Maligaro's Virtuosity, Facebreakers or rare gloves. In my opinion Facebreakers are the best option, because they're not very expensive but still give comparable (or higher?) dps to Maligaro's. If you have a pair of Maligaro's feel free to use them tho.
Only use Rare gloves if you're having trouble capping resists (for example when using Lightning Coil). The stats you're looking for are: Life, accuracy, attackspeed & resists (ele dmg prefix is a bonus)

Weapon
As a weapon you're gonna be using a standard Ele Dagger. Best bases are: Imperial Skean & Ambusher. Slaughter Knife & Ezomite Dagger are viable options.

Priority in stats is: Critical strike chance (30+) > attack speed (20+) > critical strike multiplier & flat lightning dmg / WED > flat cold dmg > flat fire damage

Shield
Very simple: Life & high evasion + resists as you need them

Boots
Life & resists. Movespeed optional because you will mainly be moving with Whirling Blades

Rings
Prefered base: Diamond Rings if you can cap resists, if not use resist bases.
Stats you're looking for:
-WED / flat lightning damage (other flat damage is alright too)
-Life
-Accuracy on at least one of the rings
-Resists as you need them
-Intelligence if you need it
- optional and very hard to get: attack speed

Amulet

Stats you're looking for:
-Crit multiplier (very important)
-Life
-flat lightning damage / Weapon elemental Damage
-Crit chance and/or accuracy
-Intelligence is probably a good idea here, since you can get alot of it in this slot

Belt
Also very simple: WED + life + resists (preferably on a Leather belt)

My Gear & Links:

Spoiler

Important! - Notes on using a 5L / Sustaining on Mana:

Spoiler
If you can only use a 5L, drop herald of thunder, drop the blood magic gem & spec into the 0.4% life leech + 0.4% mana leech node in the duelist leech cluster.
Using the 5L you can actually sustain Spectral Throw on mana (even 0.4% mana leech will make you hit the mana leeched/sec cap).
On a 6L i haven't succeeded to sustain it on mana yet, when i tried to sustain on mana i ran out of mana on single target after a little bit, which is a big problem. There might be ways to make it work with setups that are a little but different, so i would recommend trying out out yourself if you have a tabula/chest that isnt hard to color.

Jewels:

Spoiler
My jewels are: 2x Static Electricity + 1 Rare Jewel.
Stats youre looking for on the Rare Jewel (buy one with 3 or more of these):
Crit multi
attack speed
life
projectile damage
lightning damage

Positions for Static Electricity

Is this build Uber Atziri viable?

Spoiler

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: You can definitly do Uber Atziri with this build once you're well geared. But it won't be easy, you will have to be quick with your Whirling Blades to avoid damage. I recommend using LMP for the Uber Atziri Zone. If you want to see how Uber Atziri is done with this Build (or a very similar one at least), look up Mathils Uber Atziri run on his Darkshrines Spectral Throw character.
His build inspired alot of parts in this build.

F.A.Q:

Spoiler

Q: Is this build cheap? Should i play it without having alot of currency?
A: It's not cheap. If you want an actually good ST char, you're gonna have to invest alot (probably around 7 Ex, more if you want quality gems etc)

Q: Hey didn't you just steal that Frenzy utility setup from Mathil?!
A: Well ... yeah i did. This build takes alot of inspiration from Mathils sword version.

Q: Swords vs Daggers?
A: Daggers provide more crit, swords are better for attackspeed. In the end im not sure which one is better with similar gear, but i don't think they're very far apart. If you want to check out the Sword Version, check Mathils guide here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1112278

Q: How good exactly is this build?
A: In my opinion it's not a weak build, but it's not as strong as some of the FotM builds like Poison & Bow builds. It is definitly strong enough to be worth playing, but you will not be facerolling as hard as Voltaxic or Firestorm etc.

Q: Why Blood Magic?
A: Read the newest section called "Important! - Notes on using a 5L / Sustaining on Mana:"

Thanks for reading my guide!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me ingame @SpookyScaryThrow.

Feedback is always appreaciated.
Last edited by ShellShoal on Dec 31, 2015, 8:05:00 PM
reserved
Last edited by ShellShoal on Dec 31, 2015, 5:42:55 PM
my lowlife version does less dmg.. bloodrage opie for lifebased
@_inQontrol lvl 100 Ambush
gear, tree: http://poebuilder.com/#builds/inqontrol-inq001
or http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/797034
I'm trying this build out. Respecced my lvl 76 ranger today.
here's my gear ATM

Farmed dried lake till level 80 and it's pretty fun. I'll update on my progress once I begin mapping
"
HIJKLMNOPQ wrote:
I'm trying this build out. Respecced my lvl 76 ranger today.
here's my gear ATM

Farmed dried lake till level 80 and it's pretty fun. I'll update on my progress once I begin mapping

Seems like pretty decent gear, just needs some gem levels
-
-
rip?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info