[2.1] Vortex`n`relax | up to 220k DPS per target

Hey guys,

just wanted to share with you my Vortex Blade build. When I first saw Blade Vortex I was sure that this would be an amazing skill with an interesting gameplay and what should I say: I was right :D

If you want to play a funny build that doesn`t need epic gear and can be played with a budget of less than 20c, consider this :)

Short Overview
Spoiler
Main Skill: Blade Vortex with 5L Armor, no crit
Defense: Endu Charges, ES, Block, Life Leech converted to ES, high life pool, massive life on hit with Cybils Paw, Immortal Call, Enduring cry, Fortify
Movement: Whirling Blades

General Idea & Playstyle
Spoiler
Blade Vortex is a skill that lasts for several seconds after you cast it. With every cast you create blades that whirl around you. The damage comes automatically, therefore you can concentrate on your defense, e.g. cast enduring cry. To get more blades we really need nodes that increase skill duration. With enough mana you can cast up to 50 blades, killing everything in a splitsecond.

To make this build viable we combine several nice mechanics, gems and ideas of this game. We use Cybils Paw to gain life on every hit of the blades. We use the new Blasphemy gem to cast Warlords Mark on every mob we attack. We use Ghost Reaver to let the leech fill up our ES and we use the Endurance Charges from Warlords mark to cast Immortal Call, linked to Cast when Damage Taken.

To move between the mob groups we use Whirling Blades, linked to Faster Attacks and Fortify. This way we can be very fast and get additional defense.

At the start of a zone we just cast as much Blades as possible, then we start whirling around and at every mob group we do two or three casts, killing the group in a split second and moving to the next group.

Passive Tree
Spoiler
This is the "final" tree I suggest for around level 83:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAACGeTOhW4vSfIWxg8GFaWMvnogsdBhyj6Hb63PlfJuJMzh_4KDXwc3APu2L3r7o8aNZIy0XyDtfJFRxEtbqrAZiycSsg8BQSzK3g_J5_f73yiAB_HX5jwHy2LWW1o8m0ZzzIRUJf0IvQ1uVJTbAunKx1Pl5U9X5MnTLN_xu-IBAcRlvk3g9sOSAce189Vxl3ylS5JsTpYKwrw1REvj_pJUetj0NBcQLVINj1falS91EKdqhXthG9sjJaLdf1irNW5Fr8mlWHiVUu1BOQiGmz3wdWm

The important details:
+150 to Strength
+110 to Dexterity
+295 to Intelligence

+2 Jewel Socket

+523.5 to maximum Mana
+1123 to maximum Life
144% increased maximum Life
141% increased maximum Energy Shield

+40 to maximum Energy Shield
2% of Life Regenerated per Second
Life Leech applies to Energy Shield instead of Life
Life Regeneration applies to Energy Shield instead of Life

+5 Life gained on Kill
80% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
24% increased maximum Mana
+23% to all Elemental Resistances
55% chance to Avoid interruption from Stuns while Casting
20% increased Energy Shield Recharge Rate
5% increased Movement Speed
59% increased maximum Energy Shield from Intelligence

90% increased Skill Effect Duration
60% increased Area Damage
40% increased Radius of Area Skills
57% increased Spell Damage
5% increased Attack and Cast Speed
14% increased Cast Speed
127% increased Physical Damage
30% increased Chaos Damage
Gain 5% of Physical Damage as Extra Chaos Damage

Gems / Links
Spoiler

Those are the most important links:

5L / 6L: Blade Vortex - Spell Echo - Controlled Destruction - Poison - Added Fire Damage/Faster Casting
4L: CwDT - Immortal Call - Tempest Shield - Increased Duration (if you dont manage to get 3R on an ES item, you can drop Tempest Shield or ID)
3L: Whirling Blades - Fortify - Faster Attacks

You also need:
Hatred (no links needed)
Blasphemy - Warlords Mark
Minion - Minion Life (and damage if you like)
Enduring Cry

I also use another CwDT combination: CwDT - Summon Skeletons - Bladefall - Controlled destruction

Gear
Spoiler
Iam level 75 now and I spend 1C on every Item but the chest. I bought a 5L white chest for 2C and rolled till it was okayish (spend <10 alchs/scourings). Since you also dont need much links (1x 3L, 1x 4L, 1x 5L) you dont have to spend much currency on fuse/jewellers.

There is just one item that you really have to have: Cybils Paw. It costs 1C, so this shouldnt be much of a problem.

Try to get high ES and life, max your resistances and then try to get some nice caster bonus (spell damage, cast speed, talisman with +% phys damage). Please note that flat damage bonus to attacks does NOT help for blade vortex.

Defense
Spoiler
Although this build doesnt use any evasion or armor, it is still pretty tanky.
- max resists (75%)
- 25% reduced damage from fortify
- 12% reduced phys damage from 3 endu charges
- 2 seconds immunity every few seconds from immortal call
- 4k+ HP / 2k+ ES with low/mid gear (1c per item, except armor)
- 2% life leech applied to ES
- 2% ES regeneration per second
- 20%+ Block chance

The worst thing that can happen is you get a single big hit, but even bosses dont hit me for more than like 5.000hp so far, what triggers CWDT and gives more than enough time to get full ES/hp again.

Problems / weak spots of this build
Spoiler
So far I finished all quests of the game including merc Act 4. I died only to Shavronne, her lightning thorns are nasty because you hit a lot with the blades. Besides act 4 I played maps up to Tier 4 and didnt have any problems so far. You should avoid curse immune maps, reflect maps shouldnt be a problem.

My Stats & Progress
Spoiler
Right now I have 4.350 DPS per Blade and can cast the maximum of 50 blades on bosses or groups (but usually they die before). With 50 blades youll get ~220k DPS per target which makes it a very viable build damage-wise.

I made it to level 81 and played a lot of Tier 1 to Tier 6 maps. Right now I play Tier 5 and 6, didnt manage to get Tier 7 yet.

I now have ~4.500hp and ~3.000ES, on big hits the CwDT triggers and Iam immune for 2 seconds. In this 2 seconds I can trigger enduring cry and my ES leech fills my ES.

So far I didn`t stumble upon anything that would have had a chance to kill me.

Feel free to ask any questions :)
Last edited by raggapaul on Dec 28, 2015, 11:10:37 AM
Update - 15/12/28

Clearing maps until Tier 6 is easy. Got a 6L chest and now use Vortex - Spell Echo - Controlled Destruction - Faster Casting - Added Fire Damage.

Facetanked the Kole-like Boss on the Tier 6 map and a full hit didnt even take my ES away. Not sure about Crits though, but I guess they wont kill me :) Works fine so far.

Died once from level 70 to 81 to a group of otherwordly on a phys reflect map.
Last edited by raggapaul on Dec 28, 2015, 2:24:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info