[2.1] The Dual Wield Double Strike Poacher

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!!

Note: This is my first time publishing a build in the forums, id be really glad to hear about suggestions both for the build itself and the forum post.

Intro: This was my first character on the new Talisman softcore league, and was a joy to play, so I thought I would share this build to get the public opinion. This build can be played with duelist and marauder with pretty much the same tree, only the starting five passives change.

Overview:

My aim with this build was to utilize one of my favorite, and possibly the most underrated curse in the game by the best way I can.

This curse is the dynamo of this build, due to the following reasons:

-Frenzy charge on kill helps us to maintain our frenzy charges along blood rage. Thanks to this, this build is able to run snakebite gloves at 6 frenzy charges without issue.
-Reducing enemy evasion is a significant help, this build is unable to get RT, unlike most non crit melee.
-%100 more flask charges. Constant uptime of granite and Atziri's Promise flasks becomes so easy. Keep in mind that this is a modifier on the enemy, and therefore is multiplicative to the increased flask charges gained passives in the tree.
-Life and mana on hit. With the usage of double strike + multistrike, we get high hits per second, which translates to high hp and mana sustain from this curse.

Pros:

-Good sustain by combining LGoH from poacher's mark and life leech from tree.
-Easy to achieve %100 uptime of utility flasks.
-Iron reflexes for reliable phys mitigation.
-Psuedo dual-wield with beneficial offhand for dps and block boosts.(Double Strike uses main hand.)
-Fast attack speed for moving around.

Cons:

-Not the best clear speed, melee splash is still somewhat inferior to built-in AoE skills.
-Single target + splash cannot ground target, so you have to walk towards an enemy when there is none within melee range.
-Hexproof maps. Even with mana leech from gear it will be a drop to your survivability.
-Without inc. AoE, cannot stop minions at atziri twerk phase. which is the most shameful moment of my life.

Screenshots:
Spoiler
non buffed double strike dps (5L)
double strike dps with flasks + 6 frenzy + blood rage (5L)
non flask defences
defences with flasks

Passive Skill Tree:

Bandits: Oak(N), Kraityn(C), Kraityn(M)

Spoiler
Current Tree (Level 87):

Finished Tree:

Ranger:

Duelist:

Marauder:

Class choice: For me, marauder feels like the best option so far, then duelist, then ranger. The build uses iron reflexes, and the evasion+life nodes on the ranger start do not use their full potential if your gear is not all pure evasion gear. We need a good amount of red sockets, so full evasion gear is not optimal.

The reason i started ranger was because most of the dps nodes are on the ranger side of the tree. Duelist wouldn't struggle much, but marauder is too far from the ranger tree, and i thought marauder leveling would either be slow, or would level in a different way and then respec. I wanted newither of these.

By an endgame perspective, the choice between duelist and marauder is about squeezing a little more dps(Duelist) or a little more life(Marauder). Class doesn't matter a lot, I said ranger was the worst in endgame, yet I play a ranger and its more than good enough.

As a last note, if you are the type of guy that sticks to his/her toon for a long time and try this build, you should probably pick duelist. By choosing the gladiator subclass when ascendancy arrives, this build finally gets spell block. It is too early to say this though, things may change with the introduction of the unannounced subclasses.

Skills:

Spoiler
Double Strike + Melee Splash + Multistrike + Melee Phys + (5L)Inc. AoE + (6L)?added fire,fortify?

Our AoE and single target skill of choice is double strike. A single usage hits twice, this means twice the life-mana gain from poachers mark. With multistrike, a single use hits 6 times, in the case of a single target. This is more than enough to sustain double strike. Double Strike uses only the main hand weapon, so we are free to use a benefical offhand(More on this later.)

Leap Slam + Whirling Blades + Fortify + Blood Magic

Movement skills, I like to have both available at all times. Blood magic so that we fly around as free as a bird. Fortify so...fortify.

Riposte + Melee Splash + Inc AoE + Blind

Being a block build, i felt like using ripsote. It is helpful damage-wise, although nothing special. With melee splash every mob that riposte hits gets a sword in the face, which is a joy to see :P finally, we have IR, but no unwavering stance, so we have a %5 evade chance. Therefore blind works wonders. Look up blind at the wiki if you do not understand this.

Summon Flame Golem + Blind + ?Culling Strike?

I prefered the dps boost to the phys reduction of chaos golem, its a personal choice. Blind is used here as well, because riposte isn't enough. They aren't enough together either. I might consider adding a minion life into the mixture, golems die quickly.

Poacher's Mark + Blasphemy

Finally applying curses is a breeze, and the build enabling aspects of the poacher's mark can be used in a non clunky af way. Makes sure every enemy you hit are cursed.

Frenzy: for sustaining frenzy charges at long boss fights.

Blood Rage: leech + attack speed + frenzy charges on kill <3

Grace: Half my armor comes from this aura

Enduring Cry: Cast it when you think there are hard hitters around, %12 phys reduction can be life saving.

Gear:
Spoiler

My choice of offhand, it gives %8 block chance and %36 attack speed. The melee splash corruption doesn't serve any purpose, it is just something i got while vaaling some prismatic eclipses. It is a dirt cheap and common unique, so currently im trying to hit a block chance implicit corruption.

Other offhand i can think of:

Culling from Relentless fury could be effective even in blue packs, since this build hits small amounts of damage a lot of times. Laviagnas is a weaker choice in my opinion, although i never tried either of these weapons.

With the recent changes to poison, poison is basically a more multiplier for a pure physical damage build. These gloves give further attack speed per frenzy charge, and enables us to poison on every hit. Poison doesn't make much of a difference against squishy mobs, but the effect is clear when it comes to tougher types and bosses.

An option if you feel like blocking. The armor bonus is sweet, the movement penalty is irrelevant due to leap+whirling, attack speed penalty doesn't hurt much.

Other than these, rares with resistances and life should be chosen. Armour-evasion is nice, try to stack it. This build struggles to get intelligence, so try to get enough intelligence from rares. For main hand, do not only look at the pDPS, check if the weapon has good base attack speed as well. A high attack speed increases the sustenance provided by poacher's mark, and movement skills become better. Rapiers are slightly more optimal due to bigger weapon range, thought this is not a big issue. Buy boots with no movement speed to save lots of currency.

Edit: turns out flat phys is a considerable boost to dps in this build, try to get them from jewelry. I might even consider dropping snakebites.

My Gear:
Spoiler

Collecting this gear should have costed around 1ex in the talisman sc league, im not really sure. The main hand costed me 20c, i bought the chest for a surprisingly cheap price and crafted the 5L myself, i got it in a lucky 100ish jewelers and 40 fuses. I got the atziri flask myself from an atziri run. Other gear are either self found, or bought for 1-5c.

Atziri:

I run atziri twice with this build, first was a fail, second was a success. I'm not experienced at all with atziri runs, the successful run was my second ever atziri kill actually. So let me share a few tips i learned from these runs.

-Vaal duo was a cakewalk, thanks to high mobility and block-armor vs. minions. Not much to say here.
-Trio is the real challenge, be patient and sink in 1-2 double strikes at a time to tittybitch. It is ok to don't care about frenzy charges while all 3 are alive, or switch snakebites with a rare. dont waste hp flasks for smaller losses of hp, hitting the titbitch a couple times recovers enough life.
-After tittybitch, it is easy to maintain frenzy charges, kill the dual striker. Stop hitting when he goes on fire, that is firethorns, which reflects a fixed fire damage for every hit he receiveces. We hit alot.
-There should be lots of minions around for cycloner. Keep %100 staunching granite flask uptime and you should be able to tank.
-PURE SPLASH AOE ISNT ENOUGH!!! At least with this builds dps, I couldn't keep the minions at the twerk phase away from atziri. That's why i failed my first run, i had only a 4L.
-Simply attack atziri at twerk phase, this should be enough to kill mobs with a inc AoE.
-You have high mobility, be careful and even the split phase should be easy. I died once at trio and once at atziri on my second run, both are due to my inexperience imo.

Quick Mention:

I just wanted to mention that Ghudda's dual wield ground slammer was a great inspiration for the development of this build. Great guy with great understanding of game mechanics. You can check out the ground slammers build here, but it is heavily outdated.

To Do List:
Spoiler
-Screenshots of offense and defense, with-without flasks.(DONE)
-Prettier post layout
-Map videos
-Open a YouTube channel for videos
Last edited by Emrico on Dec 28, 2015, 5:54:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info