Lightning strike projectile dps help needed

I'm doing a LS build where I scale the projectile damage Build link

I have 137% increased projectile damage. My tooltip says I have 13.000 dps which is just the melee part.
To get the projectile dps I used the following formula:

Tooltip dps x (1 + increased projectile damage) x 0.75
13.000 x ( 1 + 137% ) x 0.75 = 23.107

Assuming that that is correct I should be seeing a big difference in melee dps and ranged dps. but when I test it it seems roughly the same. But when testing it with physical projectile dps and slower projectiles I do see an increase in damage even though I calculate that that should only give me about 20.000 dps. Which is worse than my normal setup (multistrike, weapon elemental and crit damage).

So to me it feels like increased projectile damage from the tree doesn't work but more multipliers from gems do. Can anyone confirm this or tell me where I'm wrong?

Last bumped on Jan 4, 2017, 2:20:24 PM
all applicable increased damage modifiers stack into one multiplier

you most likely have increased damage modifiers that:

1) apply to only melee part (melee)
2) apply only to projectile part (projectile attack)
3) apply to both (damage with weapons, generic physical damage, lightning damage, etc)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Dec 23, 2015, 12:09:19 PM
"
Ludvator wrote:
all applicable increased damage modifiers stack into one multiplier

you most likely have increased damage modifiers that:

1) apply to only melee part (melee)
2) apply only to projectile part (projectile attack)
3) apply to both (damage with weapons, generic physical damage, lightning damage, etc)

I know but for some reason I'm not noticing a difference in my melee dps and my projectile dps. It doesn't seem right when I have 137% increased projectile damage.
So I got rid of my projectile damage nodes and put them into sword nodes bringing my tooltip dps to 17.200 up from the 13.000. And even though its less than the 23.107 projectile dps that I calculated it feels like I'm clearing faster.
So is my math wrong or is there something funky going on with lightning strike?
There's a lot wrong with multiplying DPS of all things with Projectile Damage; that theoretical 23k DPS is crap. First of all, the DPS display is trash garbage.

More importantly:
The Projectiles are calculated entirely separately from the Melee strike. Any Melee-specific modifier (such as 'Increased Melee Physical Damage' from Strength) will not apply to your Projectile Damage. Damage modifiers that depend on your weapon type, such as Increased Damage with Swords, will apply - the Projectile Damage is still based on your Sword.

If you want to calculate your Damage per Hit on your Projectiles, you have to start from the very beginning: determine Base Damage, applicable modifiers, multiply. If you want your DPS (for whatever reason), multiply Damage per Hit by chance to hit, crit chance and mult, and attack speed.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
There's a lot wrong with multiplying DPS of all things with Projectile Damage; that theoretical 23k DPS is crap. First of all, the DPS display is trash garbage.

More importantly:
The Projectiles are calculated entirely separately from the Melee strike. Any Melee-specific modifier (such as 'Increased Melee Physical Damage' from Strength) will not apply to your Projectile Damage. Damage modifiers that depend on your weapon type, such as Increased Damage with Swords, will apply - the Projectile Damage is still based on your Sword.

If you want to calculate your Damage per Hit on your Projectiles, you have to start from the very beginning: determine Base Damage, applicable modifiers, multiply. If you want your DPS (for whatever reason), multiply Damage per Hit by chance to hit, crit chance and mult, and attack speed.

Ah, I see. The way it was worded on the gem made me think it worked like I tried to calculate it.
Thanks for clearing it up for me!
You can use molten strike dps calculator for this if you aren't confident of doing it by hand.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7_jqIx4zJa5Z2t6MkVnMkV5VnM/view?usp=sharing

- You would first need to input 0,7 as enemy radius to get one hit per use which makes it compatible with LS.
- Then you input your dps, what you see on the tooltip
- Then the sum of all your 'increased attack damage' which are all the bonuses that affect both parts of the attack, you would include damage with a weapon type here, also inc weapon elemental damage if you're using it (if half of your damage is elemental, input only half the value)
- Then provide the sum of 'melee attack damage' bonuses, which would be those that affect only the initial hit. If you don't have iron grip this is where you should put strength bonus, if you do, it should go in 'increased attack damage'
- After than you should take care of increases that affect only the projectile portion, those are usually just projectile damage bonuses
- Then you include any melee damage multipliers, like MPD or projectile ones like, GMP, PPAD or Slow Proj, multipliers that affect the whole attack, like Multistrike are already included in dps value and have no further bearing on the calculation
- Set the 'point blank' value to 'no', that multiplier is calculated specifically for MS to provide the average boost you get for it, it's meaningless for LS and you probably aren't even using it besides
- Of course, ignore any AoE bonuses

Ok, that should give you a good general idea of your projectile dps output which will be listed under 'area dps'.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Vipermagi wrote:

More importantly:

came here because someone posted in one of my threads about LS damage and wanted to make sure i understood it.

the way i understood it was as follows:

- tooltip dps is your melee dps
- aside from phys-to-lightning conversion, only other thing is projectiles deal 25% less damage

so if your melee dps is 1000, does that mean that each projectile dps is 750?

or is it not that cut and dry?
The post you quoted already explains why that is wrong. Read the post.

Also, the Conversion is the same between the melee strike and the Projectiles. Not sure what you meant by that?
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 4, 2017, 1:40:14 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The post you quoted already explains why that is wrong. Read the post.

Also, the Conversion is the same between the melee strike and the Projectiles. Not sure what you meant by that?

Realized that after I posted =/

On the same page with the conversion...

In the LS description, it says "25% less projectile damage" and my interpretation was that it would just be 25% less than the melee damage (as if it would be basing its damage from the melee damage), which is what I thought the tooltip showed.

I guess it is just makes less sense to me that the projectile damage doesn't completely scale with the melee strike.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info