[2.4] Thor's Thunderblunt Mjölner Discharge (Uber & Shaper Viable)

Disclaimer: This guide is still under construction construction.

Hey everyone, I'm Ren and I am about to show you the secret of Thor's power.
Special thanks to my close friend Grievous for helping me constantly theory craft around Mjölner.

Get ready as these flashy lights will get you as high as Thor.
Mjölner Discharge isn't just a build, its an art.

Pros:
  • High damage & fast map clear.
  • Ability to face-tank nearly anything.
  • Can clear all end game content.
  • Immune to physical and elemental reflect.
  • Permanent Immortal Call.
  • Permanent Flask Up-time.
  • Infinite sustain due to Kingsguard.

Cons:
  • Expensive for new players due to Voll's Devotion.
  • Hard to put together in temporary leagues.
  • Requires the use of many unique items.

How does it work?

Every time we attack with Molten Strike we are very unlikely to critical strike due to a low base critical strike chance. This means we gain a Power Charge from Romira's Banquet and these charges not only provide our Discharge with damage, but also a higher chance to critical strike.

Since our Molten Strike fires 7 projectiles every hit; the Mjölner has a 100% chance to cast all socketed lightning spells for each projectile of Molten Strike with a trigger restriction of 100 milliseconds. This will then cast our Discharge and Ball Lightning consuming the Power Charges and dealing massive damage.

When those Power Charges are consumed, our Voll's Devotion grants us an Endurance Charge for each Power Charge which has a 25% chance to grant us maximum Endurance Charge due to Unrelenting which is very often due to the sheer amount of Power Charges that get consumed or lost. All these charges go into casting our next Discharge. The loop continues to produce infinite Discharges dealing very large amounts damage.

Mjölner has an internal cooldown of 100 milliseconds, meaning its unique mechanic can only trigger each socketed spell every tenth of a second. Concluding with Discharge being cast 10 times a second.

Why not take Resoluate Technique?

Although Resolute Technique is a very attractive keystone for accuracy and synergy with Romira's Banquet, it simply cannot outweigh the positives provided from being able to critical strike. Ever since the heavy damage reduction to Discharge we need every bit of damage we can get, so being able to critical strike with a high critical strike multiplier increases our damage drastically.

Additionally, having the ability to land critical strikes allows the use of Surgeon's Flasks, and due to the frequency of our attacks and Discharge casts we can sustain all our flask effects nearly 100% of the time.

Ascendancy:

In terms of our Ascendancy class, we use Juggernaut. This option allows us to have a 25% chance to gain maximum Endurance Charges each time we gain Endurance Charge due to Unrelenting. Unflinching also grants us an additional Endurance Charge and a 20% to gain one when hit - this has perfect synergy with Scold's Bridle as an additional source of Endurance Charges. On another positive note movement speed is great, and +1000 to accuracy rating helps significantly considering we do not take Resolute Technique.

Bandits:
  • Normal Difficulty: Help Oak
  • Cruel Difficulty: Kill All
  • Merciless Difficulty: Help Oak

Character Stats:

Discharge
[i]This content will be added shortly.[/i]
Discharge (Righteous Fire)

Ball Lightning
Ball Lightning (Righteous Fire)

Molten Strike
Defences
Defences (Granite Flask)

Gear:

My Gear & Gem Setup

Mjölner, Voll's Devotion, and Romira's Banquet are the bread and butter for this build, and without them this build will not function. Please refer to the explanation near the beginning of this guide for more information.

Kingsguard is the best possible body armor we can use. For every single Endurance Charge that is consumed by our Discharges, we gain 100 life. We discharge 10 times every second each time consuming many Endurance Charges, paired with the maximum charges gained from Unrelenting - in a perfect scenario we can sustain up to 10,000 life gain per second.

Saffel's Frame is an amazing choice for an offhand since dual wielding won't make a difference. This shield is an amazing defensive option as it grants you resistances, increased maximum resistances which is very important for endgame content, and some additional spell damage. The block chance applied to spells is also a great bonus for running Uber Atziri and other end game content.

Scold's Bridle may now be the best helmet for this build. Since Mjölner can only trigger one spell at a time every 100 milliseconds, and Discharge deals 35% less multiplicative damage when triggered we need a way to make up for the lost damage. Scold's Bridle gives us an insane amount of spell damage, and more importantly can trigger Unflinching for additional Endurance Charge generation since you get damaged every time you cast any skill which counts as being hit.

Alternatively, we can stil use Devoto's Devotion - the original meta helmet for this build. We receive a huge buff to attack speed and movement speed, chaos resistances which is always welcome, dexterity to help meet the requirements for our support gems and Blood Rage, with no drawbacks since our build does not revolve around physical damage.

Repentance gives us way too much damage to pass up. These gloves provide us with a global Iron Will, which means the damage bonus from strength now applies to spells - this is an insane damage modifier since our build will always have a minimum of 412 strength. Not only do these gloves free up a gem slot in our Mjölner, but their insane attribute requirement is already met since our build is designed to weild Mjölner.

One of the best boots we can use is Death's Door, not only do these boots provide good basic movement speed and resistances, but they provide us with an additional Endurance Charge which means more damage and sustain as well as a high amount of strength that greatly helps toward getting the attributes required for the build. To top things off; these boots make us immune to bleed, this alone is an amazing unique mechanic since it allows us to drop a remove bleed flask and completely ignore the heavy bleed damage found in end game content.

The Magnate is a great belt option when running Uber Atziri or other difficult boss fights. Not only does the magnate provide a very high amount of strength, but the additional flask charges gained helps greatly with sustaining our Surgeon's Flasks. On a side note, since The Magnate is very cheap you can easily obtain a +1 Endurance Charge corruption. However aside from Uber Atziri, I recommend using a rare belt with +1 Endurance Charge corruption.

Jewels:

Important modifiers to look for are +% Increased Maximum Life, +% Increased Attack Speed and additionally any attributes or resistances you may need.

In order to reach the required amount of Intelligence, we use Brute Force Solution. I find it most optimal to place it in the jewel socket next to Stamina near the Marauder starting area.

Mjölner Gem Setup:

Since Mjölner has an internal cooldown of 100 milliseconds for each socketed lightning spell, meaning each socketed spell can be cast 10 times a second. The most optimal setup would be Discharge paired with Ball Lightning. Since Ball Lightning hits so many times, it ensures we always gain flask charges due to its ability to consistently critically strike. An alternative to Ball Lightning is Arc since it can offer a faster clear speed.

In terms of our support gem we use Elemental Focus as it grants us a very large multiplicative damage boost which helps mitigate the 35% multiplicative damage reduction that Discharge has when it is triggered, without losing critical strike chance with the use of Controlled Destruction.

We then buff our damage even further through the use of Righteous Fire during boss fights, recommended to be accompanied by a flask to remove ignite.

Monster resistance is then easily taken care of by using Blasphemy and Elemental Weakness. Although, a curse immune flask is recommended when facing bosses that reflect curses such as Uber Atziri.

Passive Trees:

Level 90 - Juggernaut
Level 100 - Juggernaut

Build Videos:

This content will be added shortly.

Thank you for checking out my build guide, I hope you find it useful.
Have fun with all the explosions!
Sincerely,
Ren
Uber Atziri & Mirror Service: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1187517
Spectral Throw Guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1692620
Mjolner Guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1519485
Last edited by Mazxn on Oct 31, 2016, 11:48:34 PM
Last bumped on Nov 30, 2016, 1:07:21 PM
Outdated Versions

Disclaimer: This guide is still under construction, more information and videos will be added.

Hey everyone, I'm Ren and I am about to show you the secret of Thor's power.
Get ready as these flashy lights will get you as high as Thor.
Mjölner Discharge isn't just a build, its an art.

Pros:
  • Massive DPS.
  • Fast map clear.
  • Ability to face-tank.
  • Atziri & Uber viable.
  • Immune to physical and elemental reflect.
  • Reasonable budget for its strength.
  • Easily carry a full party.
  • Quite addictive.
  • Can be done on all classes.

Cons:
  • Expensive for new players due to Voll's Devotion.
  • Hard to put together in temporary leagues.
  • Considered a "lag" build.
  • Your friends won't want to play with you.
  • You need a good computer to handle it.

How does it work?

Every time we attack with Molten Strike we are very unlikely to critical strike at a critical strike chance of <10%. This means we gain a Power Charge from Romira's Banquet.

Since our Molten Strike fires 9 projectiles every hit; the Mjölner has a 50% chance (30% for non-legacy) to cast all socketed lightning spells for each projectile of Molten Strike. This will then cast our Discharge and Arc consuming the Power Charges and deal massive damage.

When those Power Charges are consumed, our Voll's Devotion grants us an Endurance Charge for each Power Charge which then goes into casting our next Discharge. The loop continues to produce infinite Discharges and Arcs dealing insane damage.

Why go crit-based?

Since Discharge and Arc have a separate critical strike chance of ~40% at the rate it casts we will be critical striking very often doing a lot of extra damage and instantly refilling our Surgeon's Flasks which allows us to have all our flasks up 100% of the time.

Why go life-based?

When we are life-based instead of low-life, we have the opportunity to use this body armor. For every single Endurance Charge that is consumed by our Discharges, we gain 100 life. We discharge an absurd amount of times every second each time consuming multiple Endurance Charges which allows us to replicate a very insane amount of leech, even greater than before The Awakening.

Asides from the large amount of sustain, going life based make it much easier to stack tons of armor which is very important due to the increase of danger from physical damage after recent patches. This setup allows me to have a physical reduction of 90%.

Bandits:
  • Normal Difficulty: Help Oak
  • Cruel Difficulty: Kill All
  • Merciless Difficulty: Help Oak

Ascendancy:

In terms of our Ascendancy class, we use Inquisitor. This option allows us to ignore elemental resistances when our spells critical strike as well as grant us a large bonus towards attack speed and spell damage. Choosing this Ascendancy class provides us with a massive damage boost since ignoring resistances means we bypass the biggest downside of elemental damage; the fact most monsters are resistant to it.

Character Stats:

Discharge
Arc

Molten Strike
Defences

Gear:

My Gear

Mjölner, Voll's Devotion, and Romira's Banquet are the bread and butter for this build, and without them this build will not function. Please refer to the explanation near the beginning of this guide for more information.

Kingsguard is the best possible body armor you can use, it grants too much survivability to lose out on. Please refer to the explanation earlier in the guide for more information.

Lightning Coil is another very powerful body armor due to having close to ~100% lightning resistance. This allows you to almost ignore physical damage, although the sustain is much weaker compared to Kingsguard.

Saffel's Frame is an amazing choice for an offhand since dual wielding won't help you much. This shield is an amazing defensive option as it grants you resistances, increased maximum resistances which is very important for endgame content, and some additional spell damage. The block chance applied to spells is also a great bonus for running Uber Atziri.

Alpha's Howl is a helmet based around auras which is exactly what we want. The +2 to auras and 8% reduced mana reserved is very powerful and helps us greatly with our build, allowing us to get more maximum resistances from our purities and more armor from our grace. Also the cannot be frozen aspect is truly amazing for opening strong boxes and fighting cold damage heavy bosses or exiles.

Devoto's Devotion is another great helmet for this build. We receive a huge buff to attack speed and movement speed, chaos resistances which is always welcome, dexterity to help meet the requirements for our support gems and Blood Rage, with a high amount of armor and evasion. In addition, with no drawbacks since our build does not revolve around physical damage.

The famous and classic Atziri's Acuity is a great choice for our build as it provides global critical strike chance, a good amount of life, a very high amount of armor, and a very high amount of intelligence to help wield the Mjölner. In addition, the instant leech from critical strikes gives us even better sustain against hard bosses or degen when we swap out Iron Will for Life Leech.

Maligaro's Virtuosity is a good alternative to Atziri's Acuity or good rare gloves. These gloves give a good amount of dexterity and actually provides more damage than Atziri's Acuity due to more critical strike chance and multiplier.

Voidbringer is yet another good alternative for Atziri's Acuity. These gloves provide us with massive critical strike chance for our Discharge and Arc, as well as a free +1 to elemental gems if we choose to use it. Although, this is at the cost of no armor of evasion.

Repentance is also another option for our glove slot. This allows us to run either Life Leech or Lightning Penetration while keeping Iron Will. The attribute requirement is ignored by our build as we already meet these requirements to wield the Mjölner. Although, a downside is these gloves do not provide any added benefits asides from that and require a decent roll to be worth while.

The lightning variant of Doryani's Invitation is a great choice for a belt as it provides strength to help meet the Mjölner's attribute requirements, a high amount of increased lightning damage with life leech for Discharge and Arc, a good amount of armor, and dual resistances.

The Magnate is another solid choice for our belt slot if we already have our resistances capped. Not only does the magnate provide a very high amount of strength, but the additional flask charges gained helps greatly with bosses fights such as Uber Atziri and makes up for the change to Surgeon's Flasks. On a side note, since The Magnate is very cheap you can easily obtain a +1 Endurance Charge corruption.

Jewels:

Jewels are a great addition to the game that give us many options, since we go mana based to run Lesser Multiple Projectiles, we need a mana gained on hit jewel combined with Revelry to sustain Molten Strike with no problems.

Does Mjölner gem order matter?

Yes, the order of the gems in the 3-linked Mjölner does matter. Since Romira's Banquet consumes Power Charges on critical strikes, we need Discharge to be the first spell linked in the Mjölner. This way Discharge will consume the Power Charges instead of having them lost to a critical strike from Arc or Ball Lightning.

Gem Setup:

Alpha's Howl
Mjölner
or
3L Offhand

6L Body Armor
5L Body Armor

4L Setup #1
4L Setup #2

Build Videos:

Atziri, Queen of the Vaal
Video Link

A quick clear of the Alluring Abyss by, nearly deathless with one unfortunate death to four physical spear hits.
The Vinktar Square, Courtyard Map
Video Link

A clear of the level 80 The Vinktar Square, Courtyard Map by Nightlines.
Shrine Map
Video Link

A clear of a level 81 Shrine Map by Nightlines.

Passive Trees:

Level 90 - Templar
Level 100 - Templar

Disclaimer: The following passive trees are out of date and will be updated shortly.

Level 90 - Templar
Level 100 - Templar

Level 90 - Scion
Level 100 - Scion

Level 90 - Marauder
Level 100 - Marauder

Level 90 - Witch
Level 100 - Witch

Level 90 - Duelist
Level 100 - Duelist

Thank you for checking out my build guide, I hope you find it useful.
Don't forget to please like, comment, and subscribe.
Have fun with all the explosions!
Sincerely,
Ren
Uber Atziri & Mirror Service: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1187517
Last edited by Mazxn on Sep 2, 2016, 12:48:37 PM
Killer Build, Time to get a VOLL'S!
wouldn't maligaro's be bad for mjolner builds since global crit chance will increase the chance of molten strike criticals meaning you loose power charges due to romiras?
Last edited by sweetandlow on Dec 18, 2015, 1:48:30 AM
"
sweetandlow wrote:
wouldn't maligaro's be bad for mjolner builds since global crit chance will increase the chance of molten strike criticals meaning you loose power charges due to romiras?

No, because remember that the increase to global critical strike chance effects everything based on its base critical strike chance. Since the Mjolner only has a base critical strike chance of 5%, that increase to it wouldn't make a difference. While Discharge has a base critical strike chance of 30% and benefits from it.
Sincerely,
Ren
Last edited by Mazxn on Dec 18, 2015, 2:15:47 AM
Would this be possible would scion tree?
"
NeonGreens wrote:
Would this be possible would scion tree?

Most definitely, I am going to be setting up passive trees for every class. They will be posted within the next hour.

Edit: The Scion passive tree has been added.
Sincerely,
Ren
Last edited by Mazxn on Dec 18, 2015, 3:31:04 AM
I'm going to assume this build takes a massive hit to survivability in temp leagues due to the new surgeon's flask mod right?
"
Sphiralis wrote:
I'm going to assume this build takes a massive hit to survivability in temp leagues due to the new surgeon's flask mod right?

No, not necessarily. The Surgeon's mod nerf definitely makes the flasks somewhat weaker, but at the same time for this build we Discharge and Arc so many times a second and those each having their own chance to critical strike every time. Meaning we will be generating flask charges at a rate to still maintain 100% up-time even with the nerf.

Also in very tight situations if you are worried about not having your flasks up 100% of the time, you can use this belt.

Very cheap belt providing you with high strength, an insane bonus to flask recharging and you can try and corrupt for +1 to Endurance Charges.
Sincerely,
Ren
Last edited by Mazxn on Dec 18, 2015, 5:02:31 AM
This build is Epic! :D

I don't think is possible but is there a way to follow this build while gearing up/levelling? It's pretty clear how much mandatory are these items but it would be awesome not to farm a lot in another build or another char in order to have it up working.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info