Poison(Support) / The Consuming Dark(Poison) not spread via Contagion/Essence Drain

Used for testing purposes

Essence Drain + Poison // Contagion to spread.
Essence Drain // Contagion to spread.
Essence Drain + "The Consuming Dark" // Contagion to spread.

Using the Poison support the first target recieves significantly more Damage than without.
It is optically visible that both Essence drain and Poison are in effect. The Spell shows that it uses the support gem and mana costs have risen.
But all targets Contagion spreads Essence Drain to, recieve only the Damage of Essence drain(And optical Effect), but not of Poison.

Here it may be that its the wording as Poison requires a "hit". Although the same applies when using "The Consuming Dark" where its not bound to "hit" as it reads "Your Chaos damage Poisons" (versus "Supportet Gems Poison on Hit")

Requesting either a fix for the mechanic or a change of wording for the consuming dark

Mfg

Last edited by Genotron on Dec 13, 2015, 9:45:59 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
It's working precisely as the description states; it only claims to spread Essence Drain, and that is all that happens. Contagion does not spread Poison, if it was intended to spread Poison then the description would state as much.
I'd accept that answer for the Poison support gem as that one reads: "Supported Skills poison Enemies on hit"

But my post is mainly for the Unique "The Consuming Dark" with its special Attribute which is worded as following: "Your Chaos Damage Poisons Enemies".
There is no hit required, only that the Damage needs to be Chaos Damage which Essence Drain and the spread Essence Drain from Contagion clearly is.

Solution a) Change the Line of The Consuming Dark to "Your Chaos Damage Poisons Enemies on Hit"
Solution b) Let me spread poison

-------------------------

On a side node, its very confusing how Essence Drain + Poison(Gem) works.
Essence Drain has a on hit Damage wich is fairly low and strong damage over time.
Now the Poison support gem requires a hit to poison which the initial Hit does but then the whole Damage over Time which no longer "hits" poisons too.

If you now spread that via Contagion then it no longer Poisons at all.
Last edited by Genotron on Dec 14, 2015, 10:04:36 AM
"
Genotron wrote:
Now the Poison support gem requires a hit to poison which the initial Hit does but then the whole Damage over Time which no longer "hits" poisons too.

Essence Drain's Damage over Time cannot Poison. Poison's strength is based on Physical and Chaos Damage dealt by the Skill that applies it. Damage over Time does not generate a 'Damage dealt' value, only Hits do.

The Consuming Dark still requires a Hit to apply Poison.
It currently does not work like that ingame.
My Essence Drain deals ~1k dps over 5,7 sec, lets say 6sec
The initial hit does 200-400 dmg lets say 400
My current degen/Chaos increase which double dips for the Poison support is ~170 lets say 200

Now hitting a mob does 6400 dmg
Poison Support should do 20% of 400 times 200% = 80 +200% = 320
-> 6740 A marginal Increase.

lets say poison works with the whole damage
Hitting a mob does 6400 dmg
Poison Support should do 20% of 6400 times 200% = 1280 +200% = 3840
-> 10240

I did the following experiment

Essence drain on the Big slow stone in Act 2 -> About 30% HP damage
Essence drain + Poison support -> About 60% hp damage.
(disparity to 10240 resulting from the increased Poison damage on the Poison gem)

So Poison definetly works with the degen effect of Essence drain if the initial hit "unlocks?" it?!?

As i said very confusing and counterintuitive atm

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info