[2.0] AVOID ALL THE THINGS! 50k Evasion, Dodge/Spell Dodge, Elemental Status Avoidance Cyclone

This is the first build that I am publishing (the day before 2.1 haha) so please give me any feedback you'd like and ask any questions you want in this thread.

Introduction:

My goal with this build was to be Frenzy(the skill)/Evasion to bring back D2 memories but it has evolved so much from my original design. I saw Dreamfeather and instantly fell in love and wanted to do a build around it. I started off as dual wield Dreamfeather but recently RNGesus blessed me and Haku sold me a 140% Soultaker so I was able to switch out Bloodmagic which was a huge dps boost and actually made the build viable.

My goal was essentially to get my Evasion rating as high as I could to gain the bonus' of Dreamfeather and Queen of the Forest and go from there.

After doing tons of testing I found that Cyclone was just so much faster and safer at killing than Frenzy with Melee Splash but 2.1 might change this and I can't wait to test it again. Plus the amount of move speed I have is huge for Cyclone and make killing incredibly fast.

I was always very curious about using the Elemental Status Avoidance wheel located in the Ranger tree and wondered if it helped or was viable at all. I waited way too long to test it as I have found it is amazing and helps with survival incredibly well. I used to be scared of any elemental boss but now they are a joke. I'm really surprised that more people haven't tried this wheel as it is huge for survival and fits right in with an Evasion/Dodge build. Hopefully people will read this and give it a shot going forward.

I don't claim to say that this build is viable in HC as I have no idea and I still accept that one shots happen with Evasion but a lot of them can be prevented with skill.

Gear:

Spoiler
I'm quite proud of my gear and it has taken me a while to amass it and I certainly lucked out on a few purchases.

Chest:

My baby :) My first ever six-link. It is a high roll and my favourite part is the -50 damage from animals haha. It took me close to 1000 Chromes to get 4 red links. You can't go wrong with this chest as it gives such a huge movement speed boost, life, resists and tons of evasion rating. Currently this chest is giving me 112% more move speed.

Weapons:

Dreamfeather is such an amazing item. It does everything for my build. Evasion raiting, move speed and most important, the Attack Damage boost. Currently Dreamfeather is giving me 112% more attack damage. The Chilling Physical Damage from Soultaker is a great help to slow the attack speed of mobs giving more survivability not to mention the ability to use melee attacks for free.

Helm:

Alpha's Howl is perfect for this build as it makes you unfreezable and offers a huge amount of Evasion, not to mention the +2 to Auras and Chill Avoidance. Pre 2.0 I was able to cast both Hatred and Anger along with Grace but I can only have one now and switch them up depending on the map's resistances. That Enlighten will be level 3 someday :/

Gloves:

These babies I lucked out on. I believe I paid ~20c for them 2 leagues ago. Not much to say about them, nice resists and very high Evasion. Got lucky with a perfect life craft :)

Boots:

Yep, how many of you just came a little? haha. 100% Perfect Atziri's Step boots with +1 Frenzy Charges :) I got this for 1ex 2 leagues ago. I would love to change the socket colours but my Vorici still isn't level 8 :( Yeah I'm a scrub haha. He's close though.

Belt:

Another 100% perfect item :) Legacy too. Just bought it this week for 20c. It goes perfectly with the Elemental Status Avoidance setup.

Jewelry:

My rings I have been using for ages. I looked for high specific resists as well as high Dex and Evasion rating. My fire ring I got 19% Evasion on my first Ex. As for the amulet, I've always wanted to use Doresso's Salute in a build and it fit so well with this one. I rarely get hit so I almost always have the move speed and damage boost. The +2 range on it is perfect for Cyclone as well. You actually don't need to use Daresso's other rare amulets actually offer more damage. I'm just using it because I've always wanted to.

Flasks:

Yeah, nothing crazy. I have focused on these the least and have lots of room for upgrades.

Jewels:

Pugilist and a 14% Evasion 12% Physical with one handed weapons. Both of which are temps until I can find better Evasion/Health/Damage Jewels.

10% Increase Damage, 16% Increased Physical Damage, and 10% Area Damage rare jewel which I crafted myself :)

See passive tree as well.

Defensive Stats:

Spoiler

These are my stats with 100% uptime with 8 Frenzy Charges and no flasks:

I'm actually at 3841 Health now as I just hit level 88 yesterday.

Breakdown:
50669 Evasion Rating (The point of the build, the more the better.)
76% Chance to Evade Attacks (The bonus of having such a high Evasion Rating.)
40% Chance to Dodge Attacks (From the Skill Tree, Acrobatics and Improved Acro.)
46% Chance to Dodge Spells (From Phase Acrobatics and Atziri's Step.)
12% Chance to Block (Not the focus of the build, just got a few points on the way)
58% Ignite Avoidance (The least of my Elemental concerns. More often then not I can out heal the Ignite.)
83% Chill Avoidance (You don't want to be slowed down at all to keep the dps and survival up.)
158% Freeze Avoidance (Freeze Reflect? haha)
78% Shock Avoidance (This one made me buy the belt. Getting Shocked will kill you so fast.)
141% Movement Speed Modifier (Awwww yissss)

Cyclone Stats:

Spoiler

Current Cyclone Dps with 8 Frenzy Charges:

16398.06 Cyclone Dps.
Not Shown 44 Life on Hit.
I usually only run Hatred for auras unless I get a map with high cold resistances.

I have no idea what the actual dps of Cyclone is but my map clearing speed is super fast for a character focusing on defenses.

Bandits:

Oak, Kill, Kraityn

Passive Tree:

If you'll notice I basically took almost all the Evasion nodes I could while focusing on health and a bit of damage in the Duelist area. Until recently I included the Scion health wheel but noticed I could get as much or more health while gaining further benefits if I chose the health nodes in Duelist/Ranger trees.

I made sure to grab all of the Frenzy nodes as well as the 4% Evasion per Frenzy charge in the Ranger tree.

Graceful Assault is a bit out of the way but I find Onslaught has a very high up time and I plan on getting my 4th Jewel slot in that area anyways.

I used to focus on crit up until I saw the 2.1 patch notes then threw that build out the window since the crit path in the Shadow tree was no longer viable to reach as it took way too many points.

I then had a thought: Why not finally try out the Elemental Avoidance circle? From respecing out of crit I had enough points and my path was already right there so screw it. Oh man it made a world of difference. I then threw in the extra 8% avoidance from Thick Skin to help even more.

2.1 Skill Tree

It's pretty much the same with the exception of getting rid of Harrier as getting Quickstep will provide 1% more move speed and the same attack speed.

Skill Gems and Build Breakdown:

Spoiler
Cyclone: See Chest
Cyclone -> Attack Speed -> Melee Physical Damage -> Melee Damage on Full Life -> Fortify -> Life Gain on Hit

Attack Speed: Gain more hits while Cycloning
Melee Physical Damage: Increase the damage done
Melee Damage on Full Life: I'm almost always at full life so this is a big dps boost
Fortify: Great Gem added that really helps as I have zero armour and can take whatever I can get to reduce physical damage. Boosts melee damage as well.
Life Gain on Hit: This actually works really well with Cyclone as you hit a large number of targets and I normally get full health instantly if I do get hit. Even with single target Cyclone is hitting so much it fill my health pool incredibly fast along with the small amount of life leech I have.

Frenzy: See Gloves
Frenzy -> Melee Physical Damage -> Multistrike -> Faster Attacks

Because I don't use The Blood Dance boots or Blood Rage I need to manually gain Frenzy charges until Ascendancy. It's actually faster to gain Frenzy charges without Multistrike but I use it anyways for the dps boost.

Vaal Skills: See Boots/Dreamfeather
Vaal Cyclone -> Vaal Grace -> Culling Strike -> Concentrated Effect
Vaal Haste

I needed to fill my boots and decided to go the Vaal route. Vaal Cyclone is an incredibly powerful skill but you need to be very aware when to use it. You must avoid explodes on death
and any mob that might have Vaal Molten Shell. Culling Strike really helps kill mobs/bosses a lot faster. I never cast Vaal Cyclone without casting Vaal Haste and Vaal Grace first to gain the dps and survival boost. It's actually very rare that I die when I cast it even against most bosses.

You can always cast Vaal Haste and Vaal Grace separately for greater offence/defense on their own.

Leap Slam: See Dreamfeather
Leap Slam -> Faster Attacks

Used for jumping over pesky walls.

Auras: See Helm
Enlighten -> Grace -> Hatred -> Anger

Grace: Obviously using Grace for the massive Evasion boost. The aura actually adds more Evasion than my armour.
Hatred: I use this most of the time for the cold damage which slows enemies down reducing their attacks.
Anger: I use this for maps that have a high cold resistance.
Enlighten: I'm hell bent on leveling this to lvl 3.

Phase Run/Enfeeble: See Soultaker
Phase Run -> Increased Duration -> Enfeeble

Phase Run: I actually decided to throw this in for fun after I found a 15% one and noticed the changes. It's really not that good as a dps boost so much for an escape tool and huge run boost. I mainly use it between packs of mobs or if I'm looking for the last few mobs on the map. With 8 Frenzy charges and Increased Duration the speed buffs lasts for 18 seconds.
Enfeeble: I don't often cast enfeeble I mainly keep it there in case I wish to swap Phaserun with Cast when Damage Taken.

Playstyle:

Normal/Magic/Rare packs:
Start off by attacking with Frenzy a few times to gain a few stacks. Cyclone around killing mobs and stop occasionally to Frenzy until you are at 8 stacks. My Frenzy length is 16 seconds so after you have 8 stacks you only need to attack with Frenzy once and a while. I tend to Frenzy the first mob of a pack and just Cyclone until all the nearby packs are dead and repeat. Seeing as I have great Elemental Status Avoidance there's never really a need to watch out for what type of mob you are fighting or even if you should use a resistance flask. As you cannot be frozen you can keep Cycloning on your merry way.

Bosses:
There's no good way to explain how to fight bosses other than researching them and practicing. Basically never stop moving. The best tactic is to Cyclone in a small circle around the boss. For the bosses that are slow and hard hitting this really lowers the odds of them hitting you if you are never in the same place. Cyclone is a lot easier and safer than just Frenzy because with Frenzy you must stand still to attack. It's still possible to do this it just takes a lot more mouse inputs and attention span. A lot of bosses have attacks that are unavoidable and will straight up kill you, this is where my massive move speed and Phase Run come in really handy. You just need to learn where and when they are cast and how to avoid them.

Videos:
Coming Soon! In the middle of finals currently :/

Twitch:
Not enough upload on my home internet connection but oddly enough my phone does so I might do this soon.

That's it for now. I plan on updating this occasionally especially when 2.1 and Ascendancy hits.

Once again feel free to ask any questions you may have or any suggestions you wish to give me.

Thanks!

Last edited by Icemaz on Dec 10, 2015, 8:32:36 PM
I'm so happy to see a physical Dreamfeather build! And this one is quite tanky (as long as you don't get stuck on a wall with Cyclone). Enjoy the Vitality Void buff.

Some tips:

Do you have a maxed Weapon Elemental Damage or Added Fire gem? Try either in your setup instead of Melee Damage on Full Life. Do you get much more dps than before with auras up? Dreamfeather has a significantly higher dps potential with elemental damage (at least when you have WED and flat elemental damage on gear).

I would definitely drop all those 12% evasion nodes near Reflexes, and I would probably drop the five status avoid nodes (invest in the Scion life wheel instead). I think there's a good reason that almost no one takes them. It's cool that you get 70% chance to avoid being shocked, but I have a hard time imagining that it makes much of a difference outside of ground effect maps when your resists are overcapped. At the very least, drop the freeze/chill node since you aren't going to get frozen while wearing Alpha's.

Do you feel like you miss a lot with Cyclone or have a hard time sticking close to enemies when movement speed is so high? I've done elemental Cyclone with Dreamfeather, and, while fun, it felt weird because I wasn't easily connecting with enemies despite a very high accuracy rating and solid AoE.

Daresso's Salute's a smart move here. I just realized it gives increased melee damage, as opposed to increased melee physical damage, so that's huge for Dreamfeather Cyclone/Frost Blades.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
End game videos? how are bosses on tier:10+? Videos please!
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Crap sorry to the people that replied! I checked this thread for a few days then forgot about it haha.

"
monkuar wrote:
End game videos? how are bosses on tier:10+? Videos please!

I'm going to record some videos this weekend. I've never actually done a tier 10 map because they've never dropped. I think I got one this week so I'll record how it goes. All bosses tend to be quite easy using cyclone even those with high elemental damage because of my status avoidance for the physical ones the one who have large one shot abilities are easy to do because you just avoid their attacks.

"
Tempada wrote:
I'm so happy to see a physical Dreamfeather build! And this one is quite tanky (as long as you don't get stuck on a wall with Cyclone). Enjoy the Vitality Void buff.

Some tips:

Do you have a maxed Weapon Elemental Damage or Added Fire gem? Try either in your setup instead of Melee Damage on Full Life. Do you get much more dps than before with auras up? Dreamfeather has a significantly higher dps potential with elemental damage (at least when you have WED and flat elemental damage on gear).

I have both ele dmg and fire gems maxed but my focus was to mainly pure physical. I've actually moved to this now by swapping in AA and taking off Hatred. I lost 7k dps by taking that aura off but I haven't noticed much difference in clear speed. I'll give them a try though.

"
Tempada wrote:
I would definitely drop all those 12% evasion nodes near Reflexes, and I would probably drop the five status avoid nodes (invest in the Scion life wheel instead). I think there's a good reason that almost no one takes them. It's cool that you get 70% chance to avoid being shocked, but I have a hard time imagining that it makes much of a difference outside of ground effect maps when your resists are overcapped. At the very least, drop the freeze/chill node since you aren't going to get frozen while wearing Alpha's.

I took those nodes for the elemental resist. They're actually quite good nodes because they give Ev and resists all so it's better than say just 12% Ev. My goal is to have as much elemental status avoidance as possible and unfortunately chill and freeze are the same node in that circle. Since I have run that circle and the 8% from the other life circle I haven't had a single elemental status effect on me at all save for ground effects. I swear avoidance might be bugged. The reason I especially want shock avoidance is I don't have much life and taking 50% more damage from anything is a bad time.

"
Tempada wrote:
Do you feel like you miss a lot with Cyclone or have a hard time sticking close to enemies when movement speed is so high? I've done elemental Cyclone with Dreamfeather, and, while fun, it felt weird because I wasn't easily connecting with enemies despite a very high accuracy rating and solid AoE.

Keep in mind that I have 450 dex so it really helps my hit rating and I don't notices much if any misses but my attack speed with Cyclone is so fast that I wouldn't really notice anyways. There is a trick with Cyclone to help you stick to enemies where you keep the mouse essentially on top of your self and you go back and forth really quickly in the same area which make control quite easy despite my movement speed. I'll record a video of maps this weekend so show you what I mean.

"
Tempada wrote:
Daresso's Salute's a smart move here. I just realized it gives increased melee damage, as opposed to increased melee physical damage, so that's huge for Dreamfeather Cyclone/Frost Blades.

Yep but you need to keep your health full which as an Evasion character is quite easy.

As an update to this build I've swapped out Cyclone and went with pure Frenzy. I've also swapped out Hatred for Arctic Armour to become more tanky as I am attempting(finding) higher maps. I think I'll make a separate build guide for it and update this one separately.

I'm going to record and post videos of my Cyclone build this weekend and hopefully some Frenzy ones as well as they are quite easy to swap between.

Thanks for the replies all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info