[2.1 Talisman] **Updating** Blade Vortex - Scion Build

Exiles,

Blade vortex has been out for some time now, and I have been able to play a bit, although not enough to fully test in higher maps/etc. My views on the subject are very different to what they were originally, and my final tree (which I will re-post below as my 104 point tree) made many changes.

Skill Tree - 106 Points

Grab as much HP as possible, you will need it.

When playing the build I aim for 15-20 stacks at all times, near enemies, and continually recast BV while stuttering around a single enemy to burst them down.

IF you choose to use Vaal Cyclone (highly suggested for easy clears), then aim for ~30 before you begin to Spin-2-Win. Faster Attacks and Fortify are key for this skill.

Skills
Main: Blade Vortex > Faster Casting > Spell Echo > Aoe/Conc (swap if you want/fight-dependent) > Added Fire Damage > Life/Mana Leech/Blood Magic
Secondary: Vaal Cyclone > Faster Attacks > Fortify
Movement: Flame Dash > Faster Casting (lightning warp can work as well, mine is still levelling up)
Defense: CwDT > Firestorm (level 1) > Blade Fall (level 1) > AOE/Life on Hit (as needed)
Defense 2: CwDT > Tempest shield > increased Duration > Summon Fire/Chaos Golem
Auras: Herald of Ash > Blasphemy + Warlords Mark > Arctic Armor

Bandits
Oak > All > Oak

I would note that this build was able to start mapping at 60, and it flies through the content. I suspect further end game will be expensive however.

Should you wish to go with some 7-Link Pledge of Hands, drop the 'shield-block' nodes and suggest either;
1: grab some staff block (Whirling Barrier in the Templar area, 10% block) and nearby endurance charge/s + health
or
2: ignore block as a type of defense, grab a lot more hp/eva/armor.

I believe this build would work with the unique Jewel 'Hidden Potential' as all you are stacking from gear is +hp and resistances, and should be able to get this via alting some gear.

*Legacy Post*
Spoiler
Fellow Exiles,

With the pending release of 2.1, I am still undecided on a Blade Vortex build to go with come 11/12/15. Many streamers and players are talking about cyclone proccing BV, but I don't like cyclone as an ability (if it was responsive like D3, that would be entirely different). Additionally, having just played PA, the idea of playing something which would work almost identically (Contagion Trapper) is not yet appealing.

Please give me your thoughts on the build below, I will add notes as required.

About Me:
Spoiler
I have been playing PoE on and off since beta, more recently through Warbands (many builds; PA, Wildstrike, general-fruit) + Darkshrine (2 builds; strength archer turned PA and Icecrash).

Using Blade Vortex, I've played around with using CoC, stacking auras (damn you Brutal_1349, you're gear/builds look like too much fun), CI, etc. In conclusion, I opted to start the Talisman league by stacking Evasion and Life. If/when I get enough currency to buy Shavs/Void Battery/etc, I'll likely re-level my build accordingly.

35 Points: (Focusing Templar spell-damage and grabbing Acro)

**Grab a Deodre's ring around here, they have been cheap historically.**

76 Points: (Increase Skill Effect and Increase defences via life + shield nodes)

104 Point Evasion/Armor Swap:
While These trees are not ideal, they should provide enough defenses to begin farming maps, gear, and currency.

Skills/Sockets: (Levelling, until 30/40'ish, Depends on Blade Vortex Scaling. Add various elemental damages as available/required)
Spoiler
Freezing Pulse > Faster Casting > Spell Echo
or
Arc > Faster Casting > Chain > Spell Echo
with
Searing Totem (can have two now as standard)
or
Inferno Totem
or
Spell Totem > Arc (use as curse on hit-bot or as a damaging ability alongside freezing pulse above)

Skills/Sockets: (Endgame)
Spoiler
Main: Blade Vortex > Spell Echo > Increased Duration/Empower (swap as needed) > Added Chaos Damage > Added Fire Damage > AoE/Conc. Effect (swap as needed, both blue sockets)
Aura : Arctic Armor > Blasphemy > Poachers > Warlords (75% reserved)
Self: CWDT > Tempest Shield > Immortal > C. Golem
*Fun*: Vaal Cyclone > Aoe > Fortify > Increase Duration
Last edited by 13elial on Dec 18, 2015, 5:22:10 AM
Don't know if you have enough mitigation to avoid getting blown up
This is a worry of mine as well. Hopefully there is enough evasion and block to mitigate a fair amount of damage, else moving towards IR may be required (and thus moving away from acrobatics).
I'd really appreciate more input on the build/s guys.
Why do you go for Attack speed?
I don't really like the idea of BV self cast because it has a big ramp factor where it's going to hit the peak damage self cast after like 7-9 seconds of casting. I just feel like CoC Cyclone will end up being better since you won't need to stand still and ramp back up ever several seconds. Also considering CoC Flicker Strike being good with it since Flicker Strike can get up above 10 APS.

"
Why do you go for Attack speed?

Unfortunately this was a mistake, and a result of auto-pathing on the tree. It's intended to be 'spell damage'.

"
I don't really like the idea of BV self cast because

I have taken 90% increased skill duration from the tree (and will use 'Increased Duration'), but you may be right. As I am not going to be starting this league until 12ish on the day of its release, I intend to check the wiki to understand the damage of Blade Vortex before building this. Should it be low, perhaps it would be best served as a proc from CoC, possibly alongside bladefall?

Once I get enough charges, I hope that I can use Vaal Cyclone to pull mobs into the blender (hence the tankiness/shield nodes).

If the skill is weak, i'll be going Arc. so this build is entirely speculative at this point.
What about more AoE radius? The Bladevortex radius seems very small...do you think the gem is enough?
Last edited by Koksii on Dec 10, 2015, 10:41:07 AM
I've been looking more into BV and I have two builds I like so far. One is selfcast Cybil's Paw MOM/EB/GR/Block taking after the 2.0 incinerate build. The other one is DW Piscator's Vigil Kinetic Blast CoC solving the low accuracy/crit chance that plagues every cyclone CoC version.

Do with this info what you will.

EDIT: I should also mention Flicker Strike CoC seems really good because of the crazy APS which would probably let you hit 50 blades fairly easily. The only problem being it would require a Vagan Mod weapon (dagger) to be worthwhile so not a starting league build but maybe one for later in the league.
Last edited by 0Yemallis on Dec 10, 2015, 8:46:03 PM
bandits?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info