Rarity of items and their value

SO I'm coming off of Diablo... In those games rare and high-end items had a high value in gold, so you had to play quit a bit to save up. In POE it seems it's very easy to by powerful items. Maybe I'm because I'm a newbie and item with say 50 armor or deals 20 damage and adds 12 elemental damage.. is considered powerful.. But it seems all it takes is a gem or 2 to get them. How do we place value on gear then? Or is it again because I'm only level 20, and everything seems easy? And to piggy back off that question.. I'm a level 20 duelist and only died twice in the entire time I was playing? Is it once more because it's too early in the game or is the game much easier?
Just keep playing. There are items that cost hundreds of exalts, an item I've seen maybe 5 drops of in ~1500 hours played. You just need to get to the higher levels to reach the point where you would want such items. Leveling items tend to only cost a chaos or two at most.

The difficulty will go up too. You're likely to hit a lot of problems in act 4.
Last edited by DichotomousThree on Nov 28, 2015, 4:38:01 PM
For people experienced with the game, it's fairly easy to reach level 60+ in a day or two. PoE is pretty easy until then, so you aren't going to see much of an economy at lower levels with so little demand for items.

I wouldn't even worry about trading until you have a better feel for what's going on and have higher level characters.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh

Give it some time exile, the game gets harder as you level up.

It's designed to be fairly easy and straight forward for new players, after all, if it was very hard many would just give up and leave.

Level 20 is very low. You have a long journey ahead of you my friend.

As far as gear goes, at your level you can just use what you find on the ground or in chests.

Good luck.

"
warriorsdeal wrote:
In POE it seems it's very easy to by powerful items.

"Powerful" is relative. The perception of the majority of vocal players in Global Chat and possibly the majority of forum posters agree that 99.9% of items that drop are "garbage." This makes logical sense when you think about how 1.) items are rarely deleted - they have unlimited lifetime, 2.) many players sink hundreds and thousands of hours into this game. Every time a player finds an upgrade, his "standard of powerfulness" rises - everything above is powerful, everything below is perceived as weak. As more and more upgrades are found, more and more items are considered "weak."

However, compared to self-found, in Standard league, you can buy insanely powerful items for insanely cheap, because 3.) Standard League is permanent, which means a new player's "super awesome item" = 10,000 hrs played player's "trash" and you can get it for cheap.

However however, if you approach Standard League from a seller's perspective, you would disagree that "it's very easy to buy powerful items" because your reference point is the same as those 10,000 hrs played people, because powerful is the best that can be sold. So 99.9% of items out there will be "trash" to you.

"

Maybe I'm because I'm a newbie and item with say 50 armor or deals 20 damage and adds 12 elemental damage.. is considered powerful.. But it seems all it takes is a gem or 2 to get them. How do we place value on gear then? Or is it again because I'm only level 20, and everything seems easy? And to piggy back off that question.. I'm a level 20 duelist and only died twice in the entire time I was playing? Is it once more because it's too early in the game or is the game much easier?

That's probably it. You're playing an ARPG and not an MMORPG, so leveling before endgame goes much faster than you might be used to. The early levels (1-38 or so) are almost like an extended tutorial stage where you have not been presented with major challenges. Buying "powerful items" may get a little harder when you reach 70+ (see my philosophizing above about "powerful" - depending on how you decide to set your frame of reference, it will either still be really easy to buy powerful items, or you will suddenly find yourself stuck in "trash-land" with extremely expensive price tags on "powerful items" because they are the best possible items available)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Nov 28, 2015, 4:44:35 PM
Thanks for the the detail response people.. I guess I'm going to have to bash a few thousand more evil skull things and then things wills start getting interesting... Happy to report I already scored to orange/rare items. As far as the game play in general, I absolutely love it.. the rich graphics, fluid movement and character behavior and speech... Eventually I'll get some normal sleep again.
"
warriorsdeal wrote:
In POE it seems it's very easy to by powerful items.

The ONLY way a new person can have a powerful item in PoE it is because someone who has perhaps years playing give away the item. Or maybe if RNGJesus gives him a Mirror XD

Your world is an illution...

Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
Last edited by Actkqk on Nov 28, 2015, 5:34:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info