[2.0.5] Qwark's Crit Fireball build, great clearspeed and HC viable.

Hello. Given the recent news about Fireball receiving a threshold gem and possibly more, I decided to try it out and see just how bad it currently is by myself.

It's actually not that bad, just not top tier.

MECHANICS
Spoiler

How does it work? Fireball is a projectile that explodes upon hitting something. It differs from other projectiles, like kinetic blast, in that it doesn't explode every time it pierces an enemy. Arctic breath shares that limitation.

The damage of this sort of projectile spells originally came from shotgunning. Shotgunning was the act of hitting the same monster with multiple projectiles, effectively multiplying damage X projectiles that hit.

The 2.0 patch removed that element and now we are left with projectile overlap. That is the projectiles exploding and a monster being caught between the AOE from the explosion of multiple projectiles. That's why you will see Fireball is very effective against packs, not so much against a single target if there's not a wall nearby.

Now, the reason that Fireball is not held up to high standards is because of the base AOE. it has a radius of 8 while Arctic Breath has 16. The exact same tooltip will have AB one-shotting 75 map blue packs while Fireball will struggle to do that in a 73 map and end up leaving 1-2 mobs alive on the sides as well.

Thankfully, 2.1 is coming and these issues will be alleviated, and there is more to come.

HP & DEFENCES
Spoiler

Let's start with survivabilty, what life and defences does this build have?

We start with 4.6K / 4.8K life WITHOUT jewels.

Add MoM, the Coke all spellcasters drink in this patch meta, for a total of 5.9K / 6.1K.

Sprinkle a hint of ZO which uses your natural regen so that you regen ES instead, which provides you with a 50% chance to ignore stuns as long as you were hit with some ES on you which, thanks to ZO, is almost always.

We support our ES pool with Enduring cry so you will almost always have 3 endurance charges.

Add a Granite of Iron Skin for 40% phys damage reduction.

Mix in a grape flavored Chaos golem for 4% extra phys damage mitigation.

Top it off with Whirling blades and Fortify.

And you have a total of 56% physical damage reduction.

GEAR

Spoiler

EXPLANATION OF GEAR AND PREPARATION FOR 2.1

Spoiler
You might look at my gear and ask why I'm using an infernal mantle and a consuming dark.

For the Infernal Mantle, there's really nothing that will give you such a great damage boost. This chest alone provides up to 550 ES, 35% fire damage ( 1,5/2k DPS ) and +1 gem level ( 1-3k DPS ). You get around the downside by simply not reserving anything past the 2 heralds. You might argue that a regular chest with Anger might give comparable damage but in reality there's a large difference as a 5L chest with Anger can barely come close to a 4L IM without Anger.

Doedre's Damning is used because I find HOI with Ice bite to be unreliable if you're not going at a sanic pace which is suicide in high lvl maps. You curse with Warlord's mark.

As for the consuming dark...

Now, before the 2.1 reveal, I thought the combination of these 2 uniques existed only for 2 things.

Immunity to reflect.
Hipsters wanting to run an all-chaos build just because they can.

However, there's more. Being a fire damage oriented build, you don't shock or freeze enemies. This makes the heralds rarely trigger and hit very few enemies, leaving you with barely any charges most of the time.

Converting 100% of your damage to Chaos ensures that the only type of elemental status you inflict on monsters comes from the lightning and ice damage from the heralds. So you hit lots of enemies.

But here's the best part. There were 2 very interesting support gems revealed for 2.1

Controlled destruction, 100% reduced crit chance for +25% more spell damage.

Void manipulation, 25% reduced elemental damage for 20% more chaos damage.

You can make use of Void manipulation because all your fire damage is converted to chaos, meaning you get an almost free MORE multiplier since 25% reduced elemental damage pales in comparison to the DPS loss 100%+ reduced crit chance is. Removing GMP from my gear ( to compare the effect of 27% more damage ) has shown that VM will be an increase of about 8k DPS, quite possibly even more. It's what could possibly see Fireball become better than AB with 1-2 threshold jewels. And AB in the current patch is very powerful already.

But why do we not use Controlled destruction? Because it gives 100% reduced chance to crit. Sure, you can say that the consuming dark has only 60% global crit and no multiplier compared to a rare dagger but we also don't know how the gem scales. At lvl 20, perhaps it's 200% reduced crit chance.

Not only that, but you bring back the problem of heralds not triggering due to ignites. Therefore, we go with VM, keeping in mind that we can pick up any new juicy chaos damage nodes as well.

When it comes to threshold jewels, I will make sure the build gets at least 2 of the fireball ones.

GEM LINKS
Spoiler

[2.0] Fireball - GMP - SPELL ECHO - INC AOE - FC - CRIT MULTI

[2.1] Fireball - GMP - SPELL ECHO - INC AOE - VM - FC/CRIT MULTI

Flame Surge - SPELL ECHO - CONC EFFECT

Herald of Thunder - COH - ASSASSIN'S MARK - WARLORD'S MARK

Herald of Ice - ICE BITE

Whirling Blades - FASTER ATTACKS - BLOOD MAGIC - FORTIFY

Enduring Cry - INCREASED DURATION - BLOOD MAGIC - INCREASED AOE

Summon Chaos Golem -

DAMAGE
Spoiler

Unbuffed

Buffed

SKILLTREE
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYARXyXlxXn8Gtzs4w2pLFVS-WOYeKdYyaVXfIWv3DVDkiJ0xGWcFIHHn_GlS6TJ6Kj8NXviGwLUXTB80lRj_r5NyL0GoGCHuv1189tGaaZ2wvDCUmxl_QI9LmTUlPAVPIdl5U9X2pDvOpMs9AfIG6uswQH7-tQMEGWg9vbXgVC0PVVxiycOlgRLXyD6-4c3DLRmuCFMo8aRUdFncBmU1IEszwFogDvfJ_f8B-aO2jy7TyCm9Wm7DjkIjrYhXsabCcvZlQ26ffBkFUkqho4Fm_jag_EO3y4yg==

VIDEOS

Coming tomorrow.

DRIED LAKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VDFnuBgXFk

RESIDENCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHgsp2P1X28

FAQ

Q: Which gloves should I use?

A: There are 3 options.

Surgebinders are extremely cheap at 1c and provide a good DPS boost.

Voidbringers increase your crit chance by a lot and provide ES and ES on kill.

Facebreakers give 60% multiplier and are very cheap if you buy one with the worst melee rolls.

Maligaro's are what you would ideally want but in no way, shape or form need.

Q: Why do you not use the blood dance instead of dual cursing with Doedre's Damning?

Boots provide more ES, life and resistances than rings while costing much less. And movement speed doesn't matter because of whirling blades.

Last edited by Qwark28 on Nov 26, 2015, 10:16:23 PM
"

You can make use of Void manipulation because all your fire damage is converted to chaos, meaning you get a free MORE multiplier. Removing GMP from my gear ( to compare the effect of 27% more damage ) has shown that VM will be an increase of about 8k DPS, quite possibly even more. It's what could possibly see Fireball become better than AB with 1-2 threshold jewels. And AB in the current patch is very powerful already

You do realize that void manipulation reduces your elemental damage that then is converted to chaos damage, right?

▒█▀▀█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀   ▒█▀▄▀█ G O O D MTX Seal of Quality
▒█▄▄█ █▄▄▀ █▀▀ ▀▀█ ▀▀█   ▒█▒█▒█ O Verified by M-posting, Inc.
▒█░░░ ▀░▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀   ▒█░░▒█ Y
"
osaifh wrote:
"

You can make use of Void manipulation because all your fire damage is converted to chaos, meaning you get a free MORE multiplier. Removing GMP from my gear ( to compare the effect of 27% more damage ) has shown that VM will be an increase of about 8k DPS, quite possibly even more. It's what could possibly see Fireball become better than AB with 1-2 threshold jewels. And AB in the current patch is very powerful already

You do realize that void manipulation reduces your elemental damage that then is converted to chaos damage, right?

Yes. I'd much rather take a 25% elemental damage hit than 100+ reduced crit chance hit. It would be the other way around if this build wasn't crit oriented.

Edit; I worded it bad, I see the confusion. Thanks, just fixed it.
Last edited by Qwark28 on Nov 26, 2015, 8:30:08 PM
Sorry for my noobness , but why facebreakers ? that crit its really necessary or its just a bonus ?
"
Esgaz wrote:
Sorry for my noobness , but why facebreakers ? that crit its really necessary or its just a bonus ?

60 crit multi is absolutely massive damage.
I managed to get an infernal mantle 5L , with VM instead of faster casting , plus the consuming dark dagger , and i must say , the damage is pretty sweet , critting and shatter almost everysingle soul ! Rolling high tier maps ez pz , although sometimes due to the lack of armor and defenses my HP bar drops horribly .

Have some questions for u , if u could answer .

Do u think the Divinarius Imperial Skean , is the best second weapon to get ? Or do u preffer trying rolling some crazy rares daggers ?
Do u prioritize , Spell damage or Critical Strike chance for spells ?
Have 3,8k life ( i know its a bit low ) , the hard hits almost kill me everytime , any idea ? ( despite everything that u wrote in the post ) .
What kind of stats u looking for in a jewel ? %life ? maybe %spell damage ? %chaos damage ?

Thanks in advance , and keep up the good work . Cheers
"
Esgaz wrote:
I managed to get an infernal mantle 5L , with VM instead of faster casting , plus the consuming dark dagger , and i must say , the damage is pretty sweet , critting and shatter almost everysingle soul ! Rolling high tier maps ez pz , although sometimes due to the lack of armor and defenses my HP bar drops horribly .

Have some questions for u , if u could answer .

Do u think the Divinarius Imperial Skean , is the best second weapon to get ? Or do u preffer trying rolling some crazy rares daggers ?
Do u prioritize , Spell damage or Critical Strike chance for spells ?
Have 3,8k life ( i know its a bit low ) , the hard hits almost kill me everytime , any idea ? ( despite everything that u wrote in the post ) .
What kind of stats u looking for in a jewel ? %life ? maybe %spell damage ? %chaos damage ?

Thanks in advance , and keep up the good work . Cheers

It's better to get a rare dagger.

Spell damage as long as your crit is at least 55% with charges up.

Defenses are granites, life, es, endurance charges. Everything the build uses is covered in the main post.

That said, the skilltree and mana sustainance of the guide is out of date since it hasn't been updated for talisman. Once I update the new tree you will be more survivable and save 3-4 points.

Jewels are life, cast speed, spell damage etc
You could go poison on hit with fatal toxins and poison gem + bino's to spread the poison, this should make a really broken build

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info