Looking for Gearing/Crafting Advice

So, I recently had a 500pdps maul drop for my icecrash marauder that I think is viable as a true endgame weapon.
New Maul

Now, my current weapon has carried me through almost all the mid-tier maps (upgraded to rare) without much issue, but I feel that it probably won't be enough for high-tiers. I have a solid chest piece as well, which I don't think I'll ever need to replace.
current gear

Now, my questions primarily revolve around the new maul, and what I should do with it. Options as I see them are:
1) Burn an exalt on it, and see what I get. I'm unsure as to whether it can roll increased attack speed with the mod on it though, which is mainly what I'd want out of the suffixes. On top of that if it rolled a lower attack speed than the crafted mod (if I were to remove it) I'd be screwed until I could Haku mod+chaos it.

2) Wait until I can add Haku's meta mod (currently about a quarter of the way to 8) and rotate it with chaos until I get the desired results.

3) Forget about trying to craft it for now, and focus on 6S/6L on either the chest or the maul. 6L doesn't seem that important to me though, as all I'd probably add is increased AoE, which would help with clear speed, but wouldn't do all that much for what I can clear.

4) Sell the maul for a few Ex, and use the funds to save up for one that's already ready to go.

I'm fairly inexperienced with crafting, and the player economy, so any advice would really be appreciated.

1 seems like a waste - you can't get attack speed when it's there already, and at best (if you remove the attack speed) you get 12% more attack speed (which is a vanishingly low probability). 2 likewise, this thing is already about as good as it's going to get.

If I were you, I'd leave the maul as is and use it, and save up to buy a decent 6L chest. IMO increased AoE is the most powerful stat, bar none, once you already have acceptable DPS so I'd want that ASAP. In the meantime, I'd 5L your existing chest (and cross your fingers for a 6L).
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Nov 25, 2015, 5:54:11 PM
I'd say 3. I would do it on chest as it's very solid as you said. You're more likely to stay with this chest for a long time (even another char). Also, it's already 6S so you save a bit of currency.
Eventually you could lock prefix and scour then multi mod (attack speed and str maybe?)

definitely not 2. Haku mod is a suffix so it will be removed on first chaos. This is a very expensive method.

edit: chest vs weapon for 5L/6L is very debatable in fact. It's really up to you in the end.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Nov 25, 2015, 5:54:31 PM
"
viperesque wrote:
1 seems like a waste - you can't get attack speed when it's there already, and at best (if you remove the attack speed) you get 12% more attack speed (which is a vanishingly low probability). 2 likewise, this thing is already about as good as it's going to get.

If I were you, I'd leave the maul as is and use it, and save up to buy a decent 6L chest. IMO increased AoE is the most powerful stat, bar none, once you already have acceptable DPS so I'd want that ASAP. In the meantime, I'd 5L your existing chest (and cross your fingers for a 6L).
Alright, my first question was a fairly long winded version of "can I roll attack speed with the crafted mod on there". In terms of risk vs. reward I definitely agree it's not worth it.

"
I'd say 3. I would do it on chest as it's very solid as you said. You're more likely to stay with this chest for a long time (even another char). Also, it's already 6S so you save a bit of currency.
Eventually you could lock prefix and scour then multi mod (attack speed and str maybe?)

definitely not 2. Haku mod is a suffix so it will be removed on first chaos. This is a very expensive method.

edit: chest vs weapon for 5L/6L is very debatable in fact. It's really up to you in the end.
I was not aware that chaos would remove the meta-mod as well. If I understand you correctly though, scour+alch will not remove the meta-mod?

Another thing I forgot to add in my initial post is if it's a good idea to RNG fusing equipment, or just to use Vorici's bench. I actually burned ~160 fusing trying to 5L that chest a while ago, and kind of got scared off of RNGing it.
"
John80sk wrote:
I was not aware that chaos would remove the meta-mod as well. If I understand you correctly though, scour+alch will not remove the meta-mod?
A scour will remove it too. The Haku metamod is a suffix, it doesn't protect itself.

(Also, if you scoured it with the Haku metamod on, it would still be rare so you couldn't alch it.)

"
Another thing I forgot to add in my initial post is if it's a good idea to RNG fusing equipment, or just to use Vorici's bench. I actually burned ~160 fusing trying to 5L that chest a while ago, and kind of got scared off of RNGing it.
Depends how willing you are to roll dice. Doing it yourself is cheaper on average (and gives you a chance for a 6L if you're going for a 5L), but you're relying on pure chance.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
"
Depends how willing you are to roll dice. Doing it yourself is cheaper on average (and gives you a chance for a 6L if you're going for a 5L), but you're relying on pure chance.
eh, well, I've burned probably a total of ~300 fusing trying to 5L things, and never hit... so I guess I could look at it as I'm due to hit, or as I'm unlucky and just shouldn't try.

Alright, thanks a bunch for the help guys. Wasn't expecting such fast replies. I suppose I'll probably 6s the hammer, and try to at least 5L it by throwing fusings at it. I figure once that hits I'll be able to sell my old weapon, and use the funds to get started on the chest. Might throw an exalted on it way down the line, but for now I'll just leave it as is.

EDIT: Just a little update, guess I was due, hit 6L in 20something fuses... still haven't ever hit a 5L, but I'll take it :P

Last edited by John80sk on Nov 25, 2015, 7:19:28 PM
"
John80sk wrote:
"
eh, well, I've burned probably a total of ~300 fusing trying to 5L things, and never hit... so I guess I could look at it as I'm due to hit, or as I'm unlucky and just shouldn't try.

If I were you, I would remind yourself that the chance of getting a 5L is in no way related to your past linking record and act accordingly. :P

"
EDIT: Just a little update, guess I was due, hit 6L in 20something fuses... still haven't ever hit a 5L, but I'll take it :P

Congratulations!
Last edited by viperesque on Nov 25, 2015, 7:36:52 PM
Very nice! Congratulations. When you've tried it out some, feel free to say how you feel the extra link feels. (and if you did go with AoE or something else).
that chest is insane, I would 6L that too tbh.

With the maul its tough. If it were mine and I was gonna use it Id either just keep the attack speed or Id haku strip the suffixes and do multimod with attack speed and weapon range IF I was cyclone, and only if I was cyclone. for crash Id leave it as it is. Maybe you can yolo exalt, if its 6L now then its probably worth it, Id leave on the attack speed tho from the bench other wise, as said, u may then HAVE to haku strip when you land 7% attack speed or something awful like that, which is fine if you have the exalts to throw away but not on a budget.

I have lvl8 haku and elreon in standard league, if you ever need crafts like that I can do them for free, just shout me in game and make sure you have the right orbs for what you want, even if we need to do haku mod, strip, exalt, rip, haku mod, strip... over and over a bit its no problem.

If that maul is now a 6L it may some day be worth doing a haku strip spam for better attack speed but then again if u got the money it might be better to get a 600pdps weapon and just 6 link that instead. Then you have the old 6 link to use on a weapon swap for maybe 6L spectral throw single target for moments when its just too crazy to jump into melee range like a random Haast encounter in a hard rolled map.
I suggest you save up for Vorici 6L. It is almost dumb to not 6l that chest. It has value far above average chest pieces. As others said that maul is already as good as it can get, if you attempt to waste an exalt on it there is a high chance you end up with resistances which is unlikely to save any skillpoints in your case. The best way to improve your damage is to get a 6L since you have a good base damage now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info