2.0 [Phoking Budget Friendly] Life Based Flicker Strike

Updates**

Update4
Added in Crematorium run
Change of gear. Gem Setup. Item upgrade. Tree change.

Update3
Added in speed run of Plateau
Obtained a new shield!

Update2
Added in speed run of Gorge !

Update1
So guys, after finishing this guide and upgrading my gear, I've obtained several items that helped make this build grow even further ! [Completed Wastelands Tier 13 map] It's gone better than I've hoped!

These two item's increased the survivability and damage output by a ton!
Videos will be up soon and ready to showcase this build !

Hi guys! This is my first time creating a guide post. So bear with me if I miss any important information, than let me know and I will add it in.

Now let's get started!

First let's talk about Flicker Strike:

Spoiler
"Teleports the character to a nearby monster and attacks it with a melee weapon. If no specific monster is chosen, one is picked at random. The cooldown can be bypassed by expending a Frenzy Charge."

As most of you would know, using Flicker Strike in 2.0 has been gutted due to Blood Rage losing it's ability to give Frenzy Charges after Kill. Not only that but it now gives you physical degen instead of chaos damage. As other guides have shown there is now a method to use Flicker Strike even with the nerf of Blood Rage.

Ice Bite

Linking this to Flicker Strike gives a higher chance to generate Frenzy Charges while attacking. It allows you to watch yourself get minor seizures as you watch your character fly through Wraeclast!

Now you might want to know next, what the gear that would help support Flicker Strike due to the nerfs of Blood Rage & forcing you to use Ice Bite, you also realized you've lost a precious gem to boost your damage. Here is what I've been using in my current maps and the damage has been great.

Gear setup:
Spoiler

TL;DR
Gem Setups:
Chest: Flicker Strike - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Ice Bite - Melee Splash
(If you reach about level 88 preferably, remove Ice Bite, place in Physical to Lightning, place Ice bite into your HoI + Poacher Mark Setup.)(Recommended you get Belly of the Beast if you intend on this change.)
Helm: (Single Target Setup): Cyclone - Concentrated Effect - Added Fire - Melee Physical Damage
Frenzy - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Faster Attacks
I prefer cyclone, you can do frenzy or whatever it is that you like.
Dagger: Whirling Blade - Faster Attacks/Hatred - Fortify
(Place Hatred in here if you put Ice Bite in HoI setup.)
Shield: Blood Rage - Rallying Cry - Increased Duration
Gloves: Herald of Ice - Curse on Hit - Poacher's Mark - Ice Bite/Hatred
Boots: Cast With Damage Taken - Summon Ice Golem - Immortal Call - Increased Duration

Why I choose these equipments
Bino's
The most important part is the weapon. You can however use a rare weapon, but due to the fact with the upcoming buff to DoT in 2.1.0 I prepared this character with none other than:

The damage that Bino's give is high enough to sustain all your damage. Not only that but the ridiculous amount of life regen you obtain from killing a enemy, is a good defensive ability.

Armour
Now, for the next important gear, the armour.

Bronn's Lithe, it shines for Flicker Strike. Not only is every stat beneficial to you, but the damage increase that the armour gives is plenty to boost your DPS. Between giving you +2 levels to the gem, but as well 35%-50% Damage for movement skills. The evasion on the armour is mediocre but it's well enough.

Now to make it better. Once you reach a certain point in the tree about level 85-90. You should have enough points to be able to change your armour. At that time you can remove Ice Bite as well from your setup and put in Physical to Lightning, in order to produce higher damage output & less likely to die from reflect. The shock will help tremendously as well.

Note* Colouring the armour is a little bit of a hassle. Requires 5L to be effective

Darkray

These boots are just amazing, because you run acrobatics, and with the amount of Frenzy Charges you have, you can easily sustain 56%(58% if you +1 Frenzy Charge Darkray's), incredibly high movement speed 40%(45%) with them. The most important factor of the boots, is that it gives +1 Frenzy Charges, which will increase the damage output & help sustain Flicker Strike

Abyssus

Now this helm is amazing, high flat physical damage, all to attributes, and ridiculous amount of critcal multiplier %, of course the drawback for an amazing helm is the physical damage taken. (40%-50%). Though the best thing about Flicker Strike, combined with Acrobatics & high evasion, you constantly move around so much, you never get hit by anything. (Unless it's Flame/Ice/Storm bearers, than you better gtfo).

Rares
Now I've simply combined all the rares into one and will input the list of mods you will want to priortize when choosing.

Belt: You have two choices here before I continue on; Rare belt to give you life and steady resistance or,
Doryani's

(20 to 30)% increased Physical Damage
+(30 to 35)% to Fire Resistance
+(30 to 35)% to Cold Resistance
+(30 to 35)% to Lightning Resistance
0.2% of Physical Damage Leeched as Life
Your Flasks grant 25% reduced Enemy Stun Threshold during flask effect

Due to the high resistance on it, you can easily adapt it into the build. However you will lose a lot of flat life.
Preferably on a rare belt, you'll like to look for the following: Life, Resistance & WED(If applicable, if not, use something simple early/craft it on by using Tora). The base would be between Rustic Sash(More Damage) or Heavy Belt(For lack of strength).

Rings: It's quite straightforward, if you look at my gear list above. Life, resistance, attributes. The extra mods that would be useful if you get lucky or have the currency to pay for it. Attack speed%, WED, Accuracy Rating, Physical damage Leeched as Mana.

Amulet: Now the damage boosting item. Your amulet, if you have capped your resistance elsewhere, you'll want an amulet with the following mods: Life, Critical Chance, Critical Multiplier, Flat Physical Damage, & WED. This will gradually increase your damage.

Shield: Incredibly important gear piece. You do not want to dual wield as a flicker strike, due to the fact that you will alternate weapons when you attack. Therefore, the best choice is a shield, with high evasion, life, resistances. It will allow you to cap easily without any problems.

Here are the bandit choices for Act 2.
Bandits

Normal: Point(Kill All)/Life(Oak)
Cruel: Physical Damage % (Oak)
Merciless: +1 Frenzy Charge (Kraityn)

Gem setup:
There's a few that you can easily change without a problem. It is merely preferences.
Spoiler

Chest Piece:
Choice #1: Flicker Strike - Ice Bite - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Melee Splash - Physical to Lightning (GGRRRB)

Choice #2:Flicker Strike - Ice Bite - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Faster Attacks/Culling Strike - Physical to Lightning (GGGRRB)

Spoiler

Dagger:
Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Fortify (GGR)

Note* Since Fortify isn't applied to armour but gives reduced damage taken% it helps during start of maps/long boss fights to keep you alive.

Shield:
Blood Rage - Summon Ice Golem - Increased Duration (GGR)

Gloves:
Herald of Ice - Hatred - Poacher's Mark - Curse on Hit (GGGB)

Note* I will explain the reason why I chose Poacher's Mark below.

Boots:
Frenzy - Faster Attack/Power Charge on Critical - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage (GGRR) or (GGRB)

Note* Completely your choice.

Helm:
Now this one is tricky, I'm still playing around with the choice I have in this set up. At the moment I am using this set up incase of any emergency, this will knockback all the enemies away from to avoid anymore unnecessary damage.

Choice #1:Cast on Damage Taken Lvl3 - Knockback(20%q preferably) - Greater Multiple Projectile - Ball Lightning (Highest: Level 6) (RRGB)

Note* You may change this and do whatever it is you like.

Choice #2 (Damage setup): Rallying Cry - Increased Duration - Increased Area of Effect - N/A (RRB X)

Note* Can be placed in shield/dagger and add in an additional gem to the existing setup for them. Ex: Whirling Blades - Fortify - Faster Attacks - Power Charge on Critical

Now let's talk about Flasks & the reason why I use Poacher's Mark.
Reasons to why I choose them most would be obvious, besides one.
Flasks

Now you might be wondering about:

Yes, the flask can cause all the mobs to run away with their tails between their legs, or you'll have no charges after ONE usage, so it stays empty for a millennium, but don't fret, there is a way to keep it up almost 100% of the time.

Poacher's Mark: "Cursed enemies grant 100% Increased Flask Charges"
Not only do you have 100% Flask charges from Poacher's Mark but as well including in Druidic Rite & Primal Spirit from the skill tree, you have a total of 140% increased flask charges. Hence why we use Poacher's mark aside from additional chance to gain Frenzy charges.

Note: If you have the currency to purchase this flask, it is highly RECOMMENDED that you remove quicksilver flask for Taste of Hate .
As well as adding in a Jade Flask with Surgeon's of Reflexes mod. (x% of Evasion rating & Recharges 1 charge when you DEAL a critical strike.)

And finally the skill tree.

Level92
Inspired Learning Tree
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAr-sAXhmO7YMILpuN_rp9ddN-YlokncjwRA3vek2SI_ajiu4OjX3-HcFJyNwwfFFHveY-z-0_N9T_3iT951RHfr02ZU2-pxm0LYMVIPajhNlNRsGCL8x67wUtdO3awYTvYuzTby5TKaV08SFgQKBaGiyFpcsM8rTFwuwFtY2_bIxirH3jLOGsZrk-2HZHBtvntUhtbFWFcFIqC_PqXfJw1YnT7UGmf7GzYeImlRa_VUuMNgceEZYOSJoTcFaQG9vUSVHw1ZUunaqGsyzp8YpsCN0NVuifguCV225W9Y6Kl9A=
This tree at this point, you should have 2 jewels with Mana leech% totalling of 0.75% at least. This will allow you to respec out of Spirit Void & get Acuity Tree nodes. Which you can use to place Inspired Learning.

Screenshots

In town DPS:

With Auras:

With Blood Rage, Frenzy Charges & Flask:

Videos

Gorge Speed Run 2 Minutes 31 Seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcUEb7ITUM

Plateau Speed Run 3 Minutes 4 Seconds
https://youtu.be/zWQ6g4YQaCE

Crematorium Run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdP75UQDtZg

Well guys, if you liked this guide, read it through and thought it was helpful, or even used this guide at all, I hope you all have fun.
If you have any questions regarding anything about this build, Personal Message me, Post below or PM me in-game @XORikka

Have a good day.
Last edited by Phokinghero on Nov 26, 2015, 11:03:44 AM
3.6k HP Melee with Abyssus? I mean... really?
Get more accuracy on your rings and amulets mate, your hit chance is really bad :/
"
Get more accuracy on your rings and amulets mate, your hit chance is really bad :/

In practice his hit chance is pretty high because of Poacher's Mark. I'm more concerned about the low HP + Abyssus tbh. I realize you're moving around a lot but in higher maps you WILL get one shot, it will just happen.
"
Shmez wrote:
"

In practice his hit chance is pretty high because of Poacher's Mark. I'm more concerned about the low HP + Abyssus tbh. I realize you're moving around a lot but in higher maps you WILL get one shot, it will just happen.

Yup. Basically what Shmez said, with poacher's mark, my hit chance is a lot higher.
As to answer both of your questions with the life & abyssus, i'm about to update the thread, this was made with just 1.5ex budget. So my gear wasn't the greatest. Lots of changes.

"
Abyssopelagic wrote:
3.6k HP Melee with Abyssus? I mean... really?

It's a budget build mate, and it's low on purpose, because I wanted to test something out. Will change screenshots, add in video & gear change.

"

With poacher's mark and as Shmez said, it's good as what it is now in my opinion
Always liked Flicker Strike... always been incapable of getting one to work without a lot of investment (which I'm not really interested in doing).

My question is, how well will this build work from the start of a new league, for someone who is not great at farming or trading (i.e., will remain fairly poor)? Is the build capable of being steadily built up or is it all-or-nothing? Does the build only really come into play after the storyline of the game (merciless) is finished?

My intentions would be mostly just going through the game and enjoying it, with Flicker Strike.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Dec 2, 2015, 3:31:26 AM
Why do you pick Iron Reflexes from tree but talk a lot of Acrobatics when talking about itens..? Didnt understood what to focus now...
This looks like a great build, thanks so much for posting it. Surprised to not see much excitement about it yet!

Any ideas on the 2.1 changes? Blasphemy with poacher's mark could be nice, or give potential for +1 curse amulet and still manually cursing sometimes.

Is there a source of power charges?

I'm still pretty new but it feels like Abyssus can make almost any build work, but the 1-shot cost is pretty rough. And Armor > dodge in terms of avoiding that?

Taste of hate or lightning coil, or will total life still be too low? How high are you able to get life?

Running a slightly similar immortal reave build atm with aegis aurora and it's working pretty well, but I do still get one-shot decently often. Picked up a nice cheap 4.5ex taste of hate which has helped, and poacher's mark helps to keep it up mostly constantly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info