[2.3] The Nautilus - DeepWater Tank

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Welcome! I'm Deep_water, and this is my build on standard:
_____________________________________________________________________________________

First and foremost, this is a tank build. We focus only on tank stuff. That being said, a tank just isnt a tank without some weapon that blows things up:

2.2 UPDATE: Occultist Class
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD48-Hij234&feature=youtu.be

17.2k ES (With mirror gear, you can achieve 20k+es)
3k regen
very high damage output
Expensive, but still less than a mirror.

The purpose of the build is to be able to do all content. This character is well rounded, does 82 maps with ease, clears fast, and as a side bonus, is great for pvp!

https://youtu.be/piq0Jg2UiK4 clip of several bosses being killed

Jewels used:

Absolute must have +2 mana gained on hit

How it came to be:
Spoiler

I have been a casual player since POE came out. One of my earliest builds was righteous fire, and since then I always found life regen to be very useful.

I experimented with a life based regen version on my maurader, but found life obtaining a large life pool was extremely difficult. Next, I tried a low life aegis build that had 20k armor, 60/40% block, 5k es, and around 7% regen. I found however, that certain things could still potentially kill me.

Finally, I took my marauder skill tree, then planned it for ES. This lead me having to change to the witch for much better efficiency. From there, I went CI and hit about 13k es. I played around with mjolner for a while, until I heard that it was being nerfed in 2.0. I sold the mjolner (bad mistake).

Once 2.0 came, I was really annoyed because not only did they nerf every character of mine, but they buffed Deep_water with another 1k es, 2% regen, +2 mana gained on hit jewel, and I didnt have a mjolner. So I sold everything from my other builds and bought my baby back.

Gear
Spoiler

I keep a bunch of gems in my inventory (I like being ready for anything)

Gear Explanation
Spoiler

Do I really need to explain this one?

Look for high ES with resists (if u dont pvp, feel free to grab int)

look for high es, resists, and the armor helps a lot with physical damage

again, high es with resists. need at least a 5L (3r-2g). The perfect chest would be a 6L 3r/3g with max es/resists.

Same deal, high es, resists, if u can get +50 int, then it is worth spending 1 talent on another dex node.

High es, resist, int

strength on the belt is the most important. Look for 80+ str with resists/es

obviously for mjolner. The EC's work great with immortal call.

absolute must in my opinion. 4% regen is unbeatable.

6% dmg taken (I got this idea from Dyness's tank (btw, also a great build!)

Gem links
Spoiler

5-6L chest ( 3r - 2g is a must)
PVE: Molten Strike - Multistrike - fortify - GMP - Faster attacks
PVP: Molten Strike - Multistrike - fortify - block chance reduction - flickerstrike/GMP

4L Auras
Vitality - Discipline - empower - enlighten (lvl 4 enlighten will save u 1 talent point)

3L Mjojo
Iron will - arc - discharge

3L shield
Arctic armor - flicker strike - vengeance

4L
CWDT - immortal call - molten shell - frost wall/arctic breath/essence drain/ frost orb

4L
CWDT - enfeeble/ele weakness - spell of choice - spell of choice

Skill Tree (lvl 96 witch)

Defensive stats:
Spoiler

-13% less phys/fire dmg taken with AA
-3800 armor with molten shield = 18% damage reduction
-12% damage reduction from endurance charges
-20% damage reduction from fortify

= 0.87 multiplier for phys/ fire, and further 50% phys reduction.

Videos:

Special thanks:
Spoiler

I'd like to thank GGG for nerfing all my other builds in 2.0 causing deep_water to be my only usable character =D

I would also like to thank the Dyness tank (QbotU_Dyness) for some good suggestions with my cwdt setup, as well as suggesting damage gained as mana on the ring (BTW, in terms of pure tankyness, he wins).

To see my other builds, look here:
Main characters: Deep_water - AnomaIy - Artica
Build guides: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1602863
Last edited by DreamScythe on Jul 6, 2016, 11:48:40 PM
Last bumped on Jul 6, 2016, 11:48:00 PM
Very good & inspirational guide!
I am currently doing a similar build in Darkshrine HC, but with Cyclone and ComK currently. While I was looking for a way to improve clearspeed I stumbled upon the new "nerfed" Mjölner, which can be bought for as low as 2 ex currently in my league. Our trees are very similar, I just took AoE and some mana nodes instead of the Aura wheel, so I think I can convert easily.

However, there are certain gear limitations playing in a temp league, for example there currently is no Voll's Devotion for sale (and even if there was, I coulnd't afford it).
With the thought of this being a pure tank build, I don't really want to go discharge. I'm thinking more along the lines of Arc + Shock Nova, with either Iron Will or lightning pen (which is better btw?). Triggered by a Cyclone - FA - inc. Aoe - Curse on Hit - Warlord's Mark main attack, I would like to keep my endurance charges up at all times and just be as tanky as possible, while being able to clear maps quickly solo. In groups I just have to survive and distract, so the somewhat lacking single target dps from Arc/Nova shouldn't be an issue.

Do you have any further tips for me? I'm using Incandescent Heart now, and mainly shield nodes to buff my ES. Do you think it is better to aim for a 700+ ES chest in the end and give up on armor?

Here's my projected Mjölner tree:

And my current gear (still doing ComK, currently with discharge but only because I don't have a 5L):
Spoiler

Hey mate, I'm glad you like the guide!

I do have a few tips that may help you out.

1) I have tried iron will vs lightning pen. Because I pretty much have no inc damage on the tree, IW more than doubles the damage. There may be the occasional fight where lightning pen is better, but for general purposes I always use IW

2) Armor is a very valuable stat for a tank. That being said, you can achieve decent damage reduction with endurance charges, fortify, and molten shield. I would opt for a 700+ es chest. Once you are above 10k es, you will really start to see regen shine.

3) I would ditch Inc Aoe gem for fortify

4) I have tried shock nova, and in maps, I would say double arc works better (faster clear speed). Bosses and resistant rares are a bit of a pain though.
-arc/Discharge can still work without volls, kill the bandit for a power charge. Having 4-5 pcharges does very high damage. On bosses, you can replace arc with a ball lightning (more hits = more pcharges)

5) once your regen is high enough (2.5k+) You will most likely find that warlords mark is not necessary (unless of course you use it for the mana leech). At that point I would suggest enfeble (if your cautious) or conductivity.

Keep me posted!
Hey there mate,
some amazing tips there, thanks! I will definitely test out the various lightning spells once I get my Mjölner. One thing about Shock Nova - you don't have any AoE nodes on the tree, therefore shock Nova wouldn't have a good range for you. Or did you try it with AoE Nodes too and still thought double Arc was better for map clears? I guess I just like the looks of the Nova lol :) And without Nova, the AoE nodes become less and less useless... tho discharge also benefits from them.

OFC I need to use fortify in my main attack, totally forgot about that. Duh!

Since I'm also dropping (most) shield nodes, it is probably best then to get a 700+ pure ES chest, combined with a ES/Armor shield like you did? That way I can still have some armor, but even though the 25% reduced elemental damage taken from IH is awesome, I feel that the potential loss of 500+ flat ES is too great a price to pay, at least for this type of ES regen tank build :( Too bad, I really liked that armor.

What annoys me about discharge are these things:
- I can't map for hours with the constant BOOOMS going off, gives me a headache :D
- I don't like wearing a 100% useless ring, along with an unobtainable amulet that is - essentially - still complete garbage (except for its synergy with romira's for discharge)
- annoying to the party (I mostly don't play alone)
- I lose my endurance charges when I'd rather keep em up for safety (and the extra life regen)

So I guess I will keep one on switch, but am probably not gonna go for PC/respec my bandit choice (I took oak in merciless).

cheers mate & happy farming

Edit: Forgot, you are probably right about Warlord's/leech for endgame not being needed. The colossal nerf to life leech is what made me chose this type of build in the first place. As for mana and Cyclone, I plan to eventually incorporate Elreon jewellery so the mana costs on Cyclone are minimal or even 0.

And one thing I'm absolutely unsure of is the "fragile bloom" jewel. 2% regen sounds nice, but isn't the 10% increased damage taken too high a price to pay for a tank build?
I really wish I could get a Shavronne's Revelation over here ;(
Maybe a +1 curse corrupted Shaper's Seed is an alternative, if I can make that happen.
Last edited by therealjcool on Nov 16, 2015, 7:08:00 AM

"
therealjcool wrote:

What annoys me about discharge are these things:
- I can't map for hours with the constant BOOOMS going off, gives me a headache :D
- I don't like wearing a 100% useless ring, along with an unobtainable amulet that is - essentially - still complete garbage (except for its synergy with romira's for discharge)
- annoying to the party (I mostly don't play alone)
- I lose my endurance charges when I'd rather keep em up for safety (and the extra life regen)

Well a different approach is to modify the tree to lightning damage and change colors on mjolner for 3 blues and use arc, arc and lightning penetration. Generate the endurance charges manually when you need them or gain them in some other and remove ring and amulet. Problem solved.

Tooltip will be low but don't worry about that as the lightning penetration won't show on tooltip.
"
therealjcool wrote:
Hey there mate,

And one thing I'm absolutely unsure of is the "fragile bloom" jewel. 2% regen sounds nice, but isn't the 10% increased damage taken too high a price to pay for a tank build?

Maybe a +1 curse corrupted Shaper's Seed is an alternative, if I can make that happen.

While fragile bloom does increase my damage taken (and it is a "more muliplier" pretty much), Arctic armor negates this when the damage is physical/fire. If I were to get an amazing jewel, I may consider replacing the fragile bloom.

Also, you are right about discharge, it can be headache inducing. By not running discharge, you can find yourself a nice amulet / ring to boost your energy shield substantially, or use the shapers seed (just note that shapers seed aura does not apply to you).

And lastly, the more damage% increase you already have, technically the less powerful IW gem becomes (since all % increase is added together). Since that is the case, with your proposed tree, lightning pen actually may be the way to go, as Goat4dinner mentioned.

***One quick suggestion about your proposed mjolner tree - since you dont run discharge (volls), fire damage is much less desirable. You may want to consider dropping arsonist wheel (24% fire dmg/ 1% life regen) and use those 3 points beside warriors blood, and get the last scion 0.4% life regen (that will net you 1.2% life regen, and 6% armor***

Last edited by DreamScythe on Nov 16, 2015, 3:11:57 PM
Yes, I've already re-done my tree with that in mind, and it now looks like this:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMA34rpAkuuGyXZW20Zl_Qi9BFQUlNsCzW5PV-TJ6crvop_xu-IytOhL8HF-Te0DOwY18_quiy_j_pwu0mxDXw0ChXX8NXQ0NkTV8k3ZoauSVFfai9vKPo3gyymVmOCx6brkNb56EGHaHS3Ptpig8wYVjwtxq6DX8T2DF8LYXKpHKevbPcyU6Vo8uoYfNk870NjfA746xhdms-nVbvtrfFxTVugkc7AZpZsPAVXDe98n9_xrJo7KS6Cm3y47DgaPjrYKU9-4l8_AZHkIp48eTkt0hps1aaMdunV98Gezacwn8v2SMRYlKA=

goat4dinner, how exactly would you change the tree to incorporate more lightning damage? As in, what would you give up?

On another note: I got it :D:D:D

Still experimenting with skills a lot, but you were right about Shock Nova DreamScythe - it's laggy, too flashy and low dps. I like Storm Call and Ball Lightning best in combination with Arc, Storm Call has the better single target damage and an amazing look & feel to it!
Really makes you think you are playing the god(ess) of Thunder, haha.

My gear changes are far from complete yet, I just grabbed and bought random stuff that would get me to meet the Mjölner's requirements - tho this was an amazing buy IMO, for only 20 alts

Next thing I have to do is add a molten strike setup for bosses, and even some rares, as they can take quite a while to kill with my Cyclone AoE. I'm not looking forward to RRGG on ES gear tho, lol. maybe it is easier to do with AR/ES Hybrid gear, but I'm out of Chromes anyways for now. Farming time! :)

Current gear:
Spoiler
So I reached 84 last night, really having a blast with this spec! Most fun tank ever, hehe.
I altered my tree a bit to incorporate more lightning damage. Bought a lvl19 storm call for 2c and got some other upgrades, and now the clearspeed is really very decent for a tank character!

I've had the idea to use EE, which helps vs bosses and rares (since I keep hitting them with cold damage from cyclone, or fire/cold from molten). However it does decrease the AoE clear a bit, since Arc spreads lightning, obviously. Eventually I will want a second curse, somehow - for now it's just fine.

So, here's my new & improved tree:

And lots of new stuff, am especially fond of the Moonstone ring - I only need a decent body armor at this point, hard to buy anything in this league :(

Spoiler

Thanks again for all your help & input! :)
it's looking good mate!

Im curious, how much ES have you been able to achieve?
Right now I have pretty much exactly 10k ES (well - 99...something), but am missing 39% increased ES from tree and a potential 20% per ring, as both can have %ES carfted once I get the $$.
This is with effectively only 450 flat ES from chest, a lvl18 discipline and some more headroom gear-wise (gloves, boots, maybe even helmet).
So I think in the end I should reach around 14-15k ES, which is massive considering I have almost 4k armor and 6 endurance charges up at all times.
My regen is at 1032 right now (with endu charges up), so that's only gonna increase as well :)

I dropped unwavering stance due to being stun immue while cycloning anyway, and I havent had problems with stun yet. Only the occasional freeze will stop me, but it's far less annoying than I feared, so I don't feel compelled to use Auxium. Chill can be a pain but I have pretty high MS, coupled with a double roll quicksilver I can get through tar and chilled ground pretty quickly.

In parties I tend to run 3 lightning spells btw, its just much more raw damage and as long as some1 is cursing, my dmg outout skyrockets. Shock Nova really shines now, as opposed to being rather weak earlier on. I don't know exactly why that is, but the combination of arc/nova/storm call pretty much decimates shit. Most people laugh when I tell em I'm a tank.. "that's pretty good damage for a tank!" - I don't disagree.

cheers
Last edited by therealjcool on Nov 22, 2015, 8:29:05 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info