[2.0][SC] Vulcan's Shatter Arctic Breath - Shotgun Reborn, Fast Clear Speed

Changelog:

Spoiler

28/10/2015 - Original Upload
28/10/2015 - Added Mana leech support gem to Herald of Ice
28/10/2015 - Added Tier 9 Arid Lake Video

Welcome to my first build guide! Here you've come across my very own Arctic breath/ind over matter templar that has served me very well during the recent One Month Flashback league of fall 2015. I hope it serves any and all who decide to use it as well as it has served me! If you have any questions regarding the build or suggestions to improve it please feel free to post them in the comments :)

Spoiler
Offense(without frenzy charges):
Spoiler
Defense:
Spoiler

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUABAcEswthDF8NzRBYEQ8RLRdUGjgcpxzOHNwfAiKBJy8rUCycMJcyNDLRNZI5ijrhOw08LT1fQ8hFR0WdRtdMLUyzTeNPBFJTU1JTpVPUValVxlZKVylZ81ugXsBfKmZUaPJqAW0ZcYVyD3KpfA58S3yDffWCm4Nfg8yD24UyiFqNgo48jxqQVZRvlQSWdJeVl7SX9Jo7muCeoZ8Bn9-gQqIAplenVayqr2yvm6-nsUK3PsBmxPbGrtAf0eTVpti94XPr5Ovu7TzvfO_r8B_yRfnd_gr-VP6P?accountName=Vulcan88&characterName=Gibblut

The passive skill tree focuses on Spell/Elemental damage, Cold penetration, chance to freeze and freeze/chill duration, Life, Radius of area skills and damage, mana regeneration rate, maximum mana, reduced mana cost for synergy with mind over matter, while picking up armour for physical damage mitigation.

Jewels: Increased maximum life, Cold damage, spell damage, projectile damage, cast speed

Spoiler
First things first don't let the screenshot tooltip DPS fool you. Arctic breath tooltip DPS is a really bad indication of what your actual damage is, as the TT only shows the PROJECTILE damage of ONE projectile, not the AREA damage of all 5 projectiles. The area damage is really what matters, for a real indication of the clear speed of the build I suggest checking out the videos below.

The tooltip DPS also doesn't take into account the cold penetration gem we have linked to AB and the frostbite curse setup we have, lowering enemy cold resist by 79%!

Hypothermia is also not included in the TT DPS calculation, which gives us a % MORE multiplier to our damage. It's massive.

Spoiler
Our defensive layers include:

- approx 30% physical damage mitigation from armour
- Mind over matter, redirecting 30% of ALL damage taken to mana
- Arctic Armour, providing an extra 12% mitigation to physical and fire damage
- Taste of hate/Granite Flask: depending on your budget. A taste of hate is great as it gives more physical damage mitigation than a granite flask while also helping us vs reflect.
- Freeze/Chill

Spoiler
Main Skill:
Spoiler
Arctic Breath Setup:
And for the 5th link I recommend either:

If you're not using a Pledge of hands, your going to need to drop a skill gem for spell echo, drop increased AOE.

If you've got a 6L PoH, great! Use both. Concentrated effect is also an option for single target but isn't really needed, your damage is good enough without it.

Support Skills:
Spoiler

If you've used arctic breath before then you'll already know why we're using frost wall. Blow single target enemies away with the shotgunning power of GMP arctic breath.

Flame golem gives a nice damage boost but is more useful for distracting mobs. A chaos golem would work fine too, the extra physical damage mitigation would work well with this build, it's your call.

Lightning warp setup for quick repositioning if you get surrounded. Many players might not find this necessary if your running a quicksilver flask but I like to have it nonetheless.

Vaal grace just as an extra defense when you need it. Vaal haste is also a nice option, just choose based on your survivabilty. I forget to use it most of the time, it's not really needed but if you've got a spare gem slot why not throw it in there?

I love this setup. Frenzy's are such a powerful mechanic, with this CWDT - Blood rage setup we're getting 4% MORE damage for each frenzy charge AND getting 4% extra cast speed. Very significant.

Auras:
Spoiler

Arctic armour is great for the extra physical damage and fire mitigation. We'll be standing still while we cast so it works well with this build. Plus, it looks fucking awesome.

We use Herald of Ice for a nice DPS boost while using it as our curse on hit setup to curse enemies with frostbite. A great curse for this build, it offers freeze chance and reduces enemy cold resistance even further for nice synergy with cold penetration. Mana leech to help us keep our mana full for MoM. Not necessary but helpful to have.

Lastly we use Clarity to boost our mana regen to a more comfortable amount. I rarely ever have a problem with runnning out of mana, unless your standing in the middle of a really nasty pack for some reason getting pummeled. Yeah...don't do that.

Spoiler

When gearing, focus on high armour, resists and dexterity. You'll need the dex for blood rage and some of the support gems for arctic breath. We don't get much dexterity off the tree.

On your jewellery, try and get cast speed and cold damage. Also remember flat mana rolls are important. They are effectively Life rolls to this build.

Why a staff and not wands or a shield?
Spoiler
As this build is armour based, It would have been really hard to get the 5 off colours we need for arctic breath in an armour chestpiece. In standard where you've got the currency to burn it's your call if you would like to do that, but as this character was built in the one month league I didn't have the chromes to burn.

Plus, the Mind over matter defense mechanic used in this build works great with the 100% mana boost you get with

Taryn's shiver is also a good choice of you cannot afford a PoH, it's extra chance to freeze and extra damage taken by frozen enemies mod works well with this build. I was using one until around level 84ish.

Spoiler

Tier 9 Residence:
Tier 9 Arid Lake:
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgG0JVL4OOw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Vulcan88 on Oct 28, 2015, 9:57:34 AM
[Reserved]
THANK YOU BASED GOD
Great build! Amazing damage considering you are not going crit. How well are you freezing? And wouldn't it be better to skip some damage and get double curse (frostbyte+ele weakness) instead?
Perception is reality.
Last edited by widardd on Oct 28, 2015, 8:43:59 AM
Freeze chance is fine, its over 40% with frostbite and hypothermia, and that's more than enough to consistently freeze packs of enemies.

Dual cursing is always an option,yes. At the moment I don't have enough gem sockets to fit another curse though.
THANK YOU BASED GOD
Ever thought about trying a Cold to Fire gem? It would scale pretty nicely with your Koams and maybe help with some reflect? I've never tried it, I'm just throwing out random ideas
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Last edited by RIP_POE on Oct 28, 2015, 9:53:47 AM
@RIP_POE That is a good idea, I'll be testing this out more when the one month league ends and the character goes to standard.
THANK YOU BASED GOD
Thanks for the guide it looks fun and I am going to try it. What were your bandit choices?
Bandit's should be kill all, kill all, frenzy charge
THANK YOU BASED GOD

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info