Will new league challenges be gated again?

So I'm sure we all hate gated stuff. I do for sure. So there will be 40ish new challenges come next leagues as it said in the news post. I'm just wondering if they will be gated like last league with a patch.
The release was a bit rushed last time and many of the best players were complaining about getting a headstart and then having to wait so they probably won't do it again unless absolutely necessary.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
This kind of gating is good, if done properly. It can give a league nice feeling of development over time.

So u r wrong, at least i dont hate it, so not all. What ppl hate, is gated stuff behind rng. If continuous progression supported buy lore and nice stuff happening occur, many will like it.
Yeah, but we aren't top players. The complaints were about putting in the effort to do 7 of 8 challenges first and then by the time they implement the last one having everyone and his aunt Marjorie catch up. That may result in losing the challenge if it gets implemented in wrong timeslot, which isn't really RNG, you have the advantage if you're awake at the time they usually release patches.

Sure, for those that aren't top players it's a convenience, however, dunno about you but to me it feels like an extremely lame way to win. Leading players that lost that way would have all the the right in the world to be pissed, it's the same as stopping an F1 race 500m before the finish line and wait for everybody to catch up before moving on, in those 500m anything can happen but it would be a race no more.

Than they dont need to rush. Same as in current one month. All they did rampage and onslaught challenges in first days with zana mod, while tempest is impossible and need to wait for league mod anyway. And rampage and onslaught r before tempest, so why rush? To sit with 19/20 and wait for tempest?

And in F1 stuff like this happens, if somebody crashes and safetycar comes out, all can catch up.

And back to F1, just implement point system. Lets say there r 8 challenges and u can make 3, 6 and 8. So give 1st 50 to reach those goals 50 points for 1st and 1 point for 50th place. At the end, who have most points wins. Yes, this also would mean, that somebody making top5 1st time and not getting top50 next 2 times still gets a t-shirt. And a dude, who comes last all 3 times gets nothing. But it also fun.

Or make last challenges the hardest. Or some other way, sure there r plenty.

And anyway, how many of those to50 to get 8 challenges got them, cuz there was a delay? I doubt more than 3.

"
1337fun wrote:
And in F1 stuff like this happens, if somebody crashes and safetycar comes out, all can catch up.

Yes, but they don't all start from the same line when safety car goes away (wouldn't be possible anyway) and you can't overtake anyone while it's on the track so the original ranking is preserved and it's a huge advantage.

I mean, what's the difference between what they did and playing just one challenge some time in the league, giving the prizes to fastest/luckiest? None at all, there's no point in having more than one challenge in that case.

On the other hand, I liked the bottleneck for that laptop Malachai kill in tempest, that was good because you had the option to go in and try it if you dare. If you overtook the guy in first place that way and got the reward it happened ultimately because you had dedication, skill, luck and balls. He would lose the prize because he lacked balls, even if he had more dedication, skill and luck to reach it before you. I'd call the prize well-earned in that case.

Last edited by raics on Oct 10, 2015, 12:16:21 PM
I'm not defending, what they did. It was not fun and not smart. That is why i wrote in my 1st reply "if done properly", GGG sadly did not.

In general i'm talking from experience in WoW and GW2. WoW had events(usually pre expansion), which change things over time and in GW2 whole game is changing, stuff happening. And this is fun. And if GGG would do something like that, i would certainly welcome it. Even if it means, i would need to wait a week, to see something.

Yes, having something like top50 achievement race is good for the game. But it also affects only those 50 + some few, who barely didnt make it. Most(95% easy) of players dont care about making them 1st, reaching them all is already a pretty high goal.

I understand what u mean(with one challenge), but GGG is all about rng. The more, the better. Kinda fitting, what they did :)

And again back to F1. Being 30 sec(lifetime in F1) behind or sitting right behind and push the gas in the right second and pass a few as soon, as the track is clear (happens all the time in such situations) is also same, what happened in warbands/tempest. Even happens, that a driver gets from bottom to top in such situations.

Besides, if u reach 7/8 1st it can also be advantage. U can focus on getting the recourses for final leap, while others still spend them to get to ur point. Ofc depends on the last challenge. And that is what i'm saying, bad gating is bad, good gating is super fun.

P.S. did we kinda hijacked this thread? :)
Last edited by 1337fun on Oct 10, 2015, 1:25:51 PM
Of course not, it's all on topic :)

I think Chris said something about this issue in that podcast, but I can't exactly remember what and don't feel like looking for it. Doesn't matter, I suppose, top players get a lot of publicity and pissing them off is bad business so they'll probably be careful about this in future no matter what he said.

Last edited by raics on Oct 10, 2015, 1:38:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that the content will be gated to prevent whiners from getting all the achievements.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info