Frost Blades CoC?

Hi

why is nobody using Frost Blades as CoC trigger?

FrostBlades + Chain + Multistrike can potentially score 30 hits
FrostBlades + GMP + Multistrike can score 24 hits
FrostBlades + GMP + Chain can score 22 hits
FrostBlades + MeleeSplash + Multistrike can score 12/24/36.. hits when hitting 1/2/3.. mobs with the splash hit

Since the projectiles have to travel from target to target CoC's cooldown should not be an issue, it should actually synergize quite well. Further it should be easily possible to get a high number of hits per skill use even on small packs since all the projectile and attacks auto-target and can simply bounce multiple times between the same mobs.

I'm aware that GMP, Chain and Splash have damage penalties but as long as the spells linked to CoC do not have the projectile tag this should not be an issue. Furthermore the big number of triggered casts could make up for the penalties as well.

I'm also aware that with this setup I'm limited to 2 spells or 1 spell + support. Once again the sheer number of triggered casts could make up for this.

All the above is just theory-crafting on my side, I could not actually test this yet so what am I missing?

Thanks!
Last edited by fae76 on Oct 8, 2015, 5:00:45 AM
Not a bad idea, but I think in most cases I would still prefer cyclone simply because it removes the chance that you'll be stunned and it lets you move while spinning which means you never need to stand still to DPS which is a pretty big deal for high damage melees.
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
Mhh, can Cyclone actually hit 20+ targets with a single skill use? I've never used Cyclone so far but I can imagine that it could do that in huge packs where mobs are close together but not anywhere else. Cyclone is for sure better for single targets however I've a MoltenStrike setup in mind for that anyway.

Also you actually have to enter rooms with Cyclone whereas with FrostBlades you could just open the door and shoot.

I see the big advantage of being stun immune with Cyclone. Is movement speed while cycloning not rather slow though meaning you are much more mobile with attack, whirling blade attack...?
Last edited by fae76 on Sep 30, 2015, 11:48:27 AM
"
fae76 wrote:
Mhh, can Cyclone actually hit 20+ targets with a single skill use? I've never used Cyclone so far but I can imagine that it could do that in huge packs where mobs are close together but not anywhere else. Cyclone is for sure better for single targeta however I've a MoltenStrike setup in mind for that anyway.

Ideal chain/gmp roll outs are fairly unlikely on smaller packs. Cyclone hits twice per mob per attack so you would need to have 10 mobs in aoe to hit 20 per attack.
"
BackwoodsS wrote:
Ideal chain/gmp roll outs are fairly unlikely on smaller packs. Cyclone hits twice per mob per attack so you would need to have 10 mobs in aoe to hit 20 per attack.

I agree that 20+ is much, on the other hand everything is seeking and auto-targeting and it's still only 60% of what is possible with a Multistrike + Chain setup
Last edited by fae76 on Sep 30, 2015, 12:08:49 PM
"
BackwoodsS wrote:
"
fae76 wrote:
Mhh, can Cyclone actually hit 20+ targets with a single skill use? I've never used Cyclone so far but I can imagine that it could do that in huge packs where mobs are close together but not anywhere else. Cyclone is for sure better for single targeta however I've a MoltenStrike setup in mind for that anyway.

Aren't most of those hits wasted since they happen at the same time?
"
"
BackwoodsS wrote:
"
fae76 wrote:

Aren't most of those hits wasted since they happen at the same time?

For Cyclone that could be true, but this should not be the case for FrostBlades since the projectiles have to travel between hits and therefore the hits scored asynchronously should be much higher than anything Cyclone can do.
Last edited by fae76 on Sep 30, 2015, 12:21:24 PM
I think with a cast on crit build you have to ask yourself though:

Do you struggle when there's a room with 30 blue mobs in it
versus
Do you struggle when there's a room with 3 yellow mobs in it

Usually it's the latter. And for the latter, cyclone is far superior to frost blades.

A lot of what goes into build creation is minimizing your weaknesses to improve your all around strength. Tons of AOE with frost blades would certainly be cool, and there's a good chance it clears full rooms faster than any other melee CoC trigger out there. Unfortunately I think it would struggle pretty hard in the single target department, and it also comes with required links such as Chain while Cyclone leaves you a lot more freedom in your CoC supports.

Something else to consider is that with some builds it's possible to run multiple CoC for different purposes. With my bow user for example I've got a split arrow + chain setup for my AOE and a Barrage + concentrated effect setup for my single target. So for a melee build it's certainly plausible to have this setup in addition to a cyclone setup that's catered more towards single target =] You could get faux 5links out of a corrupted helm or gloves, or find a way to make a 2h weapon work for an additional 6 link to run it.
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
Last edited by Nasreth on Sep 30, 2015, 12:56:59 PM
kind of related to your post but not from a CoC perspective I was going to try a build with fb + chain + GMP + multistrike for the one month leagues (using molten strike for single target).

But instead of CoC I was going to use emberwake ring for a lot of ignites. Then kongors undying rage maul to not miss and trigger the ignites (and a found a 2H weapon to fix the single target link issue as above poster mentioned :P)

But yeah same logic try to get as many hits as possible against packs and fb seems like the way to do it.

Last edited by link1313 on Sep 30, 2015, 4:04:52 PM
So, I still had some high level Shadows in Standard that was yet respecced, so I just had to test.

With a 6-link Volls, 5 power and 7 frenzy charges, twin terrors, and dual wield daggers, I started testing.

Frost blades - CoC - Multistrike - Chain and Cold Snap was the setup, however what to use for the 2nd spell that can kill bosses too?

I tried the "normal" projectile ones, Ice spear works fine, the others were more lackluster. Then it struck me: Firestorm.

It is glorious...

I can't see anything, just pop some bottles, and wait for things to die.

If you think you were hated in parties with your Discharge Fakener, just wait until they see this baby.

The plan is simple: win! If you do not win, you did not follow the plan

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info