Rory's Skill Design Presentation!

Well that skill, no offense, is pretty dam lame.

First we get molten strike which completely replaced infernal blow(which never gets buffed again or brought up to par). Just a superior option on all fronts.

Then Wild Strike which is far superior in every way than Elemental Hit(which never became anything worthwhile).

And now we get a new lightning arrow type skill with Shrapnel which is going to replace Lightning Arrow(not to mention the chin sol obvious synergy, so incoming another Chin Sol nerf).

What is our next band-aid GGG? A new lightning trap? A new melee only puncture? Can't wait...

I just recently got Grim Dawn. Honestly i might not come back to Path of Exile anymore. Grim Dawn is far more balanced, the challenge feels fair(and greatly well done), and honestly 8 guys made a game that is appealing to me far more right now. Sure they are more experienced(due to Titan Quest) but it just really shows how amateur GGG is when i play it.

Really not sure what to think of POE anymore. There can only be so many band-aids and smashed(then glued back together as a shadow of themselves aka leech aka elemental prolif and so on) mechanics.

Some certain people(you know who you are) like to call Grim Dawn, "Grim Yawn". Ya..fyi it gets far faster than POE once you start getting to the end of Act 1. And more challenging. Especially for melee. But not once i did i feel the game was unfair or had things designed JUST to raise difficulty in a shitty way(POE Act 4 in a nutshell, sure i can beat it still no problem, but its obvious what they did there, it was very lazy design).

So unfortunately after the 1 month league i might quit for good.

Besides the big map thread and the 187 questions deal spoke volumes about how they "listen" to us. Big eye openers. I always thought they had no clue about the game they work on(and don't play enough) but i never knew just how true that statement was til then.

Oh well.
Last edited by Steelgrey666 on Sep 17, 2015, 9:12:32 PM
Also on another note.....just buff/rework old "dead skills" and people would be a lot happier than with this "new" skill.

Also...enough with the freakin aoe skills, as you probably can tell from this dam thread, most just want a new single target skill(or old skills brought up to par).

Jeezus GGG's disconnection with the community at large is as obvious as ever. And won't stop anytime soon.
my new name for Shrapnel shot Ranger - Misaka Mikoto aka Tokiwadai Railgun
Why after this news i have pretty high ping? Sometimes i can't talk with someone or open stash in town/ho.
WOW! This design of the topic takes everything to next level.
Guild leader of Apotheosis for more information about the guild:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/900355
new skill looks allright
give old LA visual effect back!(and some others)
>=====,',','
MASTER?! MASTER?! WHERE THE DREAMS THAT I'VE BEEN AFTER!!?
',',',=====<
Looks just like lightning arrow. Not excited at all. :/
Could you please focus on balancing the existing skills instead of just making new ones?
great job guys! hyped to check it out
make this skill for wands too
"
Steelgrey666 wrote:
Well that skill, no offense, is pretty dam lame.

First we get molten strike which completely replaced infernal blow(which never gets buffed again or brought up to par). Just a superior option on all fronts.

Then Wild Strike which is far superior in every way than Elemental Hit(which never became anything worthwhile).

And now we get a new lightning arrow type skill with Shrapnel which is going to replace Lightning Arrow(not to mention the chin sol obvious synergy, so incoming another Chin Sol nerf).

What is our next band-aid GGG? A new lightning trap? A new melee only puncture? Can't wait...

I just recently got Grim Dawn. Honestly i might not come back to Path of Exile anymore. Grim Dawn is far more balanced, the challenge feels fair(and greatly well done), and honestly 8 guys made a game that is appealing to me far more right now. Sure they are more experienced(due to Titan Quest) but it just really shows how amateur GGG is when i play it.

Really not sure what to think of POE anymore. There can only be so many band-aids and smashed(then glued back together as a shadow of themselves aka leech aka elemental prolif and so on) mechanics.

Some certain people(you know who you are) like to call Grim Dawn, "Grim Yawn". Ya..fyi it gets far faster than POE once you start getting to the end of Act 1. And more challenging. Especially for melee. But not once i did i feel the game was unfair or had things designed JUST to raise difficulty in a shitty way(POE Act 4 in a nutshell, sure i can beat it still no problem, but its obvious what they did there, it was very lazy design).

So unfortunately after the 1 month league i might quit for good.

Besides the big map thread and the 187 questions deal spoke volumes about how they "listen" to us. Big eye openers. I always thought they had no clue about the game they work on(and don't play enough) but i never knew just how true that statement was til then.

Oh well.

I am not entirely sure where to begin with this. I think I will start with the part were I agree with you. Every one will just throw it on traps or totems with chin sol and move on. Wile I think every attack should have an option for each elemental damage conversion for theory crafting but when you just throw it on it feels like it is done to make is worse by reducing leech and Boss's resistances. I believe the damage of an attack should be a strength not a nerf. All that being said, I am working on a stun archer and if it has I higher base damage than LA it would help me tremendously.

Speaking of Lightning arrow, it kills everything on your screen, Shrapnel Shot only kills stuff in front of you. Also, Shrapnel Shot is suppose to be like lightning tendrils, a leveling skill, not an end game skill.

Your other comparisons also bug me a little. In 1.3 I had an Infernal Blow Marauder that would blow up the entire screen (including yellows standing in the packs) in half a second and then move to the next pack with 110 move speed. Cleared 77 maps with ease (Never got any 78, too busy spending money on +3 melee shields to make an Elemental Hit Wander and such). Most effective build I ever made. Sure they killed every single moving part and mechanic it used but that's a different story......

Wild Strike is a better version of Elemental Hit. That's because Elemental Hit is unusable. I spent years and most of my poe career trying to make it work. You can't. I am proud to say Wild Strike has a lot in common with my suggestions for improving Elemental Hit. Actually feel kind of bad I have not used it yet..... Based of my experience I know you can make a passable build with it and prefer to spend my time trying other crazy things. Long story short. I think the should remove Elemental Hit from the game, that just goes against GGG design philosophy.

Moving on the to the meat of this post, what I love about poe is I think what you are put off by. It is not balanced, it is not scripted, there is no set way to doing anything. GGG gives you hundreds, no thousands, of tools to use and then make really difficult content. What I love, beyond measure, is that when GGG adds something to the game they don't know how to kill it. There is no set ways to do anything. People get clever and make powerful tool combinations and they get popular, but by calling some popular things overpowered leaves the hidden overpowered things in the shadows.

I found the map thread and 187 thread to be enjoyable reads. However it is very possible I missed something. I you could elaborate on how they have no clue what they are doing I would like to know.

have a nice day.
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info