[Temp] The curse-on-hit-less dual curse-on-hit Incinerate Marauder. Budget gear and video section!

Update: I've made an attempt to recreate the build. Although massive sacrifices had to be made (4 resistance jewels :(), lots of luck had (21 incinerate on first try wut?) and I'm not nearly where I was before gear-wise. I intend to play it safe until lvl86ish, then a friend and me will do brutal maps until we die to end the league. Hopefully it won't be the very first map so I can document it a little.

Post-death emo message! :D
NOTICE: I AM DEAD. Not because the build is bad but because I'm an absolute goddamn idiot that didn't notice two reflect mobs next to each other. I recommend you try the 7 Endurance charge variation of the build as it sits at 70% phys reduction (90% with granite). Will no longer update as no currency to rebuild char and no videos or documentation to prove validity of build in high-end mapping. Will make another attempt next league unless they shit on Incinerate as hard as I think they will. Thanks for reading and good luck!

Disclaimer: Work in progress. Requires stress testing and some optimization.

Thank yous!

The Kaom's Pledge and Bloody Explosive Arrow Scion are both builds I enjoyed immensely this league, and very much laid the foundation for the build I'm presenting here.

You can find the Kaom's Pledge build here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346671/page/1
and the Bloody Explosive Arrow Scion here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1367804

Also Ymirine for crafting the hell out of my staff. His Master Crafting thread is here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1304710

To do

- End-game videos

Updates
15/09 #1: Leveled. Updated leveling tree. Added thoughts on certain points spent in end-game tree. Added potential Enduring Cry tree. Cleaned up a little. Made all the links clickable.
15/09 #2: Added expected cost sub-section to the gear section addressing different items in the build.
15/09 #3: Updated title to be more catchy!
15/09 #4: Created budget gear section. Currently working on videos showcasing budget gear. I feel they're more important than me in my end-game gear doing end-game maps. And any excuse to do Tropical Islands and Mountain Ledges of course! :D
15/09 #5: Added videos of budget setup.
15/09 #6: Revamped tree for 7 Endurance charges. In the process of updating entire post to reflect new stats.

Introduction

Alright, no fancy pictures, just me and this thing I put together. I'm looking for advice and aid developing my character and my build more so than trying to showcase it. A large part of it is still theory, as I decided to dump the Scion as a starting class and now have to relevel and get up to a point where I can really stress the build.

I will post a short summary and then a more elaborate general philosophy of the build and it's playstyle, and you can quickly judge if it's something you would be interested in or not.

Summary

- Blood Magic
- 275% life, 8.7% regen, 4 jewel sockets and 7 Endurance charges.
- No hard mitigation. Not a facetank build. Requires proper management and use of pre-emptive flasks and good positioning at higher map levels.
- Damage heavy especially at higher tiers of gear.
- Kaom's Heart is used, but can be easily replaced with a very high armour/life/resist chest, which, with the advent of corrupted 6 links cost near nothing. I have 7.8k life at level 84 with a generic 3 chaos armour chest. That is with a Karui Ward, Asenath's, and several life nodes missing.
- Elemental Weakness on hit corrupted Asenath's Gentle Touch is used, as is a +1 Curse neck. The corrupted Weakness gives about 30% fire penetration, I'd hardly call them essential and the build will function without them.
- A 6 link staff is used. Your last link will be Iron Will. With 450 Strength it is a significant boost to damage output, but again, not essential.

The Philosophy
1. Colossal life pool.
275% at lvl90. This will be a BUFFER. This is NOT a block cap scion. You have very little hard mitigation. You cannot facetank extra damage Rakangos in crit vuln maps. This build can die if not managed well. If you don't want to or can't control your pre-emptive flasks and just like pressing your Seething when you drop a little, this build is not for you.

2. Great damage.
Currently I am sitting on 20,899 Incinerate DPS. That is RF levels of damage. This did not come cheap. I made a 30 chaos budget version of the build that used a 6 chaos +2 5L staff with unqualitied lvl15/16 gems and 5 blue jewels that sat at around 8k dps.

3. Low mitigation.
We will use a staff, a kaom's heart and energy shield gloves. With good gear and all the armour nodes from the tree you will be at around 8000 armour. That is not a lot. Like I said before, facetanking anything remotely dangerous is out of the question.

4. Dual Curse.
If budget allows we will use Elemental Weakness on hit corrupted Asenath's Gentle Touch with a +1 curse neck for permanent passive double curses. Everything temp chainsed, everything weaknessed.

The Tree at level 90
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEBAdwB5wSzBS0GDgn2C2EMXw3NDjwUIBRNFHEWbxiRGS4aOBo-GmwcpxzOJKolvCcvJ-0pLitQLlM1kjbpOtg64TwtPfxDMUd-TeNQR1OlVw1YY18_ZU1mVGhlaPJvO3Ttdct343loeu98uIIHgpuDX4PMhNmFe4zPjX6QVZo7ns2fy6IAplenMKlurY2vbK-ntz68n702vqfAGsBmwQTE9sauxtjNmM9-0iHTb9R81abYvdlh2XzawdtP37_gw-Fz42rkIupi7DjtPO8O8B_xrPJB8kXzm_ZI_Ev-Cv5U_o8=

You are in the Marauder/Templar part of the tree and need 155 int for Incinerate (159 if you have a lvl21 one) and 111 dex for Lesser Multiple Projectiles. +30 dex/int nodes are always an option. You will have to weigh the cost/benefits yourself based on your budget and gear.

I believe Unrelenting to be the weakest part of my tree. The reduced mana cost does near enough nothing for us, so it's pretty much 4% life per passive point. Other options I've consdered are going through Shaper into the jewel socket left above Scion start. Connecting the Scion life wheel to the jewel socket below it, then through Sentinel into the jewel socket below Scion start. Soul of Steel. Flat out getting more spell damage all the way to the first Templar node.

The choice I'm liking most however is respeccing merciless bandits, revamping the bottom of the tree a little, getting 3 endurance charge nodes and incorporating Enduring Cry. I would lose a jewel socket and 16% life for 7 Endurance charges and 3% resistances.

This tree would look like this

Potential Enduring Cry Tree
ttps://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEBAZEB5wSzBS0GDgn2C2EMXw48EuEUIBRNFm8YkRkuGjgaPhpVGmwcpySqJbwnLyftKS4t0i5TNZI26DbpOlI62DrhPC09_EMxR35N41BHU6VXDVhjXz9hIWVNZlRoZWjydO11y3aseu98uIIHgpuDX4PMhNmE74V7jM-NfpBVkc6WbJo7ns2fy6IAouqmV6cwrY2vbLc-vJ-9Nr6nwGbE9sauxtjNmM9-0iHTb9R81abYvdlh2XzawdtP37_gw-Fz42rkIupi7DjtPO8O8B_xrPJB8kXzm_ZI_Ev-Cv6P

Gems and Links
Incinerate - Spell Echo - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Faster Casting - Fire Penetration (5L) - Iron Will (6L)

Standard CWDT - IC - ID. I leave what level you want to keep these gems at up to you. Some like high level ones, some low. Experiment with it yourself.
Standard CWDT(lvl20) - Molten Shell(vl20) - ID

Faster Casting - Lightning Warp - Portal - Slower Projectiles.

The Slower Projectiles is in there for no reason other than to swap it in for LMP to CHOP bosses in seconds.

I use Lightning Warp to get up and down ledges, that's it. Many people swear by Flame Dash, but I've never liked relying on it. By all means if you feel you can maneuver well, quickly and accurately with Flame Dash in panicky situations, put it in there.

The 15-20 chaos budget gear

Every item on this list cost me either 0.5 or 1 chaos. Save for the Staff which cost me 6, and the chest which cost me 3. Also bought 5 blue double damage stat jewels for .5 or 1 chaos each. I did not socket or link a single item they came as they were. I did not even quality them up.

My gems are all level 15 or 16. My Incinerate has 20 quality because I could not find a lvl15-17 one up on poe.trade, so I had to use my leveling one. You could obtain a similar range effect by just equipping a 1 fusing Karui Ward. You can tell from the videos (coming up) we really don't need the damage stats on our neck.

For these stats I specced out of 15 points. I'm level 84 so that would make a level 70 character, with an additional life node taken out for the flat life I obtained over 14 levels.

I originally intended to use Iron Will because no multiplier, but even with this gear and the build at level 70 I'm at 517 life regen.

My stats with these items

Offensive stats:

Defensive stats:

The End-Game Gear
The Staff

I want to talk about the weapon seperately. Do not let the next sentence scare you off and finish reading through the rest of this explanation before you click this away for being some 70exalt piece of shit build. The OPTIMAL weapon is a 6L +3 Spell Damage staff with a lvl4 Empower. This combination is absurdly expensive, and in my opinion nowhere near worth the return. The good news is, a +2 Spell Damage staff with flat fire damage added to spells and an Iron Will will match or even outperform a +3 with a lvl3 empower (Purely my theory based on a litte napkin math. I can't give you the numbers currently, as I could not afford to craft and link both a +3 and a flat damage staff), at anywhere from 1-30% of the base cost, depending on whether you want to wait for one to pop up on poe.trade or multicraft it yourself.

Here's my weapon.

Not much to say about it. Spell damage, cast speed and gem levels. I do not possess a level 4 empower so the Iron Will is in there.

With it in I have 20,899 dps.
Without it (and thus a 5 link) I have 16,212.
With a level 20 Incinerate instead of a level 21, and without the Iron Will I have 14,771.
Without the Kaom's Heart, using a level 20 Incinerate and no Iron Will I have 13,712.

The Gloves and Amulet

21 total life on both these items. We are allowed to sacrifice this much thanks to our tree. With the high level Fire Penetration and Elemental Weakness we penetrate 70% fire resistance. Everything is permanently Temporal Chainsed. Very much worth the loss of life points.

Another great (if not the best) option is a Karui Ward. It grants 30% projectile speed and 10% movement speed, both valuable stats for this build. The loss of resistances however means you'll have to either scour Elemental Weakness maps, swap in a fair number of resistance jewels, have a backup +1 curse resistance neck, or have a preposterous budget to be able to overcap resists on 4 items.

The Rest

Rings: Life/Cast Speed/Resistances on the one. The other is just a big stat-stick. I lose the cast speed and a bit of life and I'm granted 2 passive points. I'm already overcapped enough to do Elemental Weakness maps (with a quick resistance jewel swap) so I can lose the 2 suffixes to dex and int.

Chest: The Kaom's Heart for Life and Fire damage. Replace this with a high armour high life chest if your budget doesn't allow for what's currently still a 7ex item on Tempest. You do not need the links, it will be cheap.

Boots: As high a movement speed as your budget will allow. Like I talked about before we do not stand there facetanking Rakangos. We move and position and the more easily and quickly we do that, the better our chances of not going to Standard. I would even go so far as to recommend you sac every bit of resistances on this item and when you're faced with an inability to do Elemental Weakness maps or even trouble capping your resists to begin with to make up for all of it with resistance jewels. Oh and yes, I know, my level 20 Molten Shell is linked to a level 3 CWDT. It currently does nothing. WTB lvl20 CWDT.

Belt: No, I'm not using Doryani's. With 291% life from the tree the loss of 100+ life is just not worth the bit of damage (which we already have plenty) and .2% life leech. That is not even talking about a possible Flask Charges Gained/Flask Effect Duration mod. 20% Flask Duration gives you a 7.2 second Quicksilver. With high charge recovery it is up a LOT. The Ruby and Granite become 5 seconds. All of these are of great importance in keeping us alive and moving quickly. Much more so than anything Doryani's can give us. I had a lot of trouble finding a high armour, high life, flask duration belt that would keep my resists where I wanted them, so I'm using a pretty shitty one.

Helm: Life, armour, resists.

Expected cost
Curse combo: The Elemental Weakness on Hit corrupted Asenath's touch will run anywhere from 1.5 to 2 exalts on Tempest currently. This is worthless without a +1 curse neck, of course. A +1 curse Karui Ward will cost you around an exalt. That is an exalt for 30% projectile speed and 10% movement speed, because literally any white +1 curse neck will do. The question you need to ask is whether the Elemental Weakness is worth all those lost stats on the amulet and 2-3 exalts to you.

Weapon: A +3 staff with an open prefix or Spell Damage costs a LOT of money. But like I discussed before, a +2 with flat fire to spells will serve just as well, at a fraction of the cost. Crafting it into a beast of a weapon will cost around 4 exalts. 2 exalts to scour off all the suffixes with a level 8 Haku, and another 2 exalts for the Elreon level 8 multicraft. On a budget you are likely best off looking for an already 5 linked staff with a bit of cast speed and spell damage on top of the two important stats I mentioned before. You can always craft something on yourself for a pittance.

Chest: Kaom's Hearts are up for 7 exalts currently. You can likely obtain one for slightly less by lurking trade, or haggling with people. If you are not willing to run around in a hardcore league with a 7ex item, can't afford it to begin with or don't think you need more than 7.8k health (not being sarcastic here, 7.8k is shitload), get any high armour, high life chest you can find. The links are absolutely 100% unneeded, so I don't expect you to spend a lot on a good armour piece.

Linking: Fusings are at the ever stable rate of 2 to 1 chaos. Chaos to exalts has been tanking hard lately, selling for sub-45:1 is not uncommon. Expect to spend 16+ exalts on a vorici 6 link.

Bandits
Oak/Point/Under consideration. Read "The Tree at level 90" section to learn more about the merciless bandit option.

Flasks

This section needs very little explanation I think. The panic Seething. The Granite. The Ruby and the Curse Immunity Quicksilver. You could replace the Eternal for another Seething, but 6 20% Seething Divine flask charges will heal for about 65% of your life pool, so I prefer the quick Eternal.

Map mods
Mods we cannot do:
- Elemental Reflect. I tried one with Life Leech for shits and giggles. Dropped to 20% in .3 seconds attacking a pack of 5 sea witch spawn. Stay away.

Very hard mods:
- -Maximum Resistances. It is hard not because we can't deal with the incoming damage. It's hard because with the amount of damage output and resistance penetration we have, reflect is an absolute killer. If your ruby is not up, you will die instantly. If your ruby IS up you will take an asston of damage on a -12% map.

Annoying mods:
- No life regeneration. Swap in life leech.
- Temporal Chains / Chilled ground. Annoying because CHRIST FUCK IM SO GODDAMN SLOW.

Mods we don't give a shit about:
Everything else. For some builds resistance/monster life/enfeeble would fall under the Annoying mods section. Not us. I did a 60% fire resistance, 40% monster life Residence 2 hours ago and it was like the mods weren't even there. Dominus fell over in 20 seconds.

Jewels
We have 5 jewel sockets. I will not tell you how to fill them. The great thing about jewel sockets and why I opted to get 5 of them is versatility. Life, Armour, Damage, Projectile Speed, Resistances, Stats. You can get an amazing variety of bonuses on just these 5 sockets and I recommend you take some time to fill them with stats you feel YOU need, not what I felt I did.

Clear Mind works for Blood Magic builds, btw.

Videos
Budget setup/level 70 videos:

First map is Turbo/Elemental Equilibrium/Beyond Strand. I don't get any bosses, though I try a little at some point. Second map (starts at 07:17) is exiles/turbo/lmp Colonnade.

At around 11:00 I almost get 1-shot by Carnage. A little embarrassing but I decided to show it anyway to highlight the weaknesses of the build. And by weaknesses of the build I mean what happens when you severely underestimate his cast speed on Ground Slam with Turbo and don't press your fucking Granite.

A little nervous, not sure why, forgive the several little mistakes.

Oh and turn off the sound, it's just background static and me clicking a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHuZnSaw5wQ&feature=youtu.be

A final note on Reflect
Press your goddamn Ruby. You have 9k life, it will absorb something of a fuckup, but not much. Your damage is ridiculous and will kill you ridiculously quickly if you decide to go ham.

If you got all the way to this point I would like to thank you very much for your interest and attention. If you have anything to add or even brutal criticism I welcome your contribution in the comments. Questions, obviously, also very welcome.

Thank you.
Last edited by sueyed on Sep 17, 2015, 7:24:08 AM
That was going to be the title for my incinerate marauder guide! ;)
And even the trees look all the same... ^^

Nice read and cool char, I like! :)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
I enjoyed that title :)
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info