[2.0]GomennaScion's ThorTank (Mjölner, ZO, CI, Max Block)

Hi, and welcome to my Scion ThorTank guide!

This is a Work-In-Progress build that competes with the top tank builds as one of the tankiest builds out there, while outputting the DPS of a Mjolner build. The aim of this build is to make an unstoppable juggernaut that will put any Terran mech comp to shame.

Concept
I really wanted to make a character with max block with the new jewel passives because I believe they benefited the most, so I fiddled around with all the possible ways to get max block with various popular tank builds. After a while, I came up with a hybrid build that's a little different from anything seen before.

I got a lot of the framework for this build from the Dy'Ness tank build (Zealot's Oath Chaos Inoculation), so credits where it's due. Here's the link for those interested->https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1171890

From there, I shaved off points where I could to get all the block nodes and ended up with a very tanky Mjölner build.

Video Showcase

Introduction Video(Gear is outdated, Necropolis boss at 7:30)-> http://www.twitch.tv/rnorth2/v/13802678

Shock and Horror(Torture Chamber Boss) Facetank->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59eP6MYSNFA&feature=youtu.be

Dominus(Residence 76 Boss) Facetank-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk_6QR_7Sr4&feature=youtu.be

What makes this build good?

Pros
-No Legacy Gear required (though it can improve the build quite a bit)
-Respectably high DPS for one of the tankiest builds that I know of due to Mjölner
-Chaos Immune
-Can do all maps except No Regen with little to no effort, virtually stress-free
-Allows use of Molten Strike as main proc skill for Mjölner against virutally anything due to the tankiness
-Reckoning and Riposte adds a few extra attacks per second

Cons

-It's still the DPS of a tank build
-Requires at least a Mjölner
-Requires around level 83 to get rolling. It's hard to use the Thorhammer and lv83 is about the earliest you can get CI without sacrificing too much. Levelling with some kind of other block build is highly recommended. I personally used Ice Crash.
-Can get very expensive to start feeling really powerful and pass a very important threshold for any block build: Not Getting One-Shot
-PC Heart Attack on Ally Cannot Die Auras and totems
-Low mobility

Effective HP

https://i.gyazo.com/a1fe1443c99d043666eaafa120a97886.png

Against physical damage, I reduce 44% of the damage from armor and I have ~70% block chance.

10,700ES*[(1/(1-.44)]armor*[1/(1-.7)]block=63,690EHP against physical damage

Against elemental damage, I have 75% resistance across the board with 53% spell block.

10,700ES*[1/(1-.75)]resists*[1/(1-.53)]block=91,063EHP against elemental damage

and of course, invincible against chaos damage.

I also regenerate 9.9%(from passive)+3%(shav ring)+1.7%(vitality aura)=14.6% ES(EHP) regenerated per second.

All of this is without using any flasks and not taking Fortify into account. I still have quite a bit of places left to improve!

On a fair note, this is somewhat deceptive as with any block builds in that the extra EHP gained from block chance is worthless in situations where you would get 1-shotted by a single very powerful hit. Simply put, 75% block chance doesn't really help if the other 25% chance means instant death. I don't really know anything that can hit me for that much damage anymore, but until very recently I was getting one-shotted by Dominus' ground smashing fists(the touch of god). It's very important to pass the threshold of getting one-shotted so the block chance can do its work.

Highlights

Screenshots

Defense

https://i.gyazo.com/a1fe1443c99d043666eaafa120a97886.png

Unfortunately, I don't quite have max block yet simply because I lack a 32% block shield. Note that Tempest Shield adds 3% to that number.

My Gear

Only Mjölner and Romira's Banquet are absolutely required. I'm in Warbands, so the gear can obviously be much better in Standard with Legacy gear. This build relies heavily on a good shield due to the passive tree giving 305% increased defenses from equipped shield. To give an idea, my shield is giving me 7000 AR and 3800 ES by itself. My shield is real good, but I am still looking for a shield this good with 30% or more block chance.

Jewels

Ideally, you want 1% block chance on shields, maximum energy shield, spell damage, attack speed. Even while wearing the Shav ring, you can sustain your mana with just a single jewel that gives +2 Mana per enemy hit even on a single enemy due to Molten Strike being so amazing. Even if you run dry somehow, Tetsudo passive gives you 8 mana each time you block. Alternatively, you can get a corrupted Romira's with +2 mana gained per attack.

As mentioned in the passive tree, Energy from Within goes in the very bottom jewel slot to convert all the life nodes into Energy Shield.

My jewels:

How do I link my jewels...?

Gem Setup

6-Link: Molten Strike - Multistrike - Faster Attacks - GMP - Curse on Hit - Conductivity(or Enfeeble)

You can run 4-link and you'd just lose the curse on hit.

Mjolner 3-Link: Arc - Lightning Penetration - Discharge

Quality Arc is highly recommended for the shock chance.

Aura 4-Link: Discipline - Vitality - Herald of Thunder - Enlighten

You'll want at least a lvl3 Enlighten, or just a lvl2 Enlighten inside The Vertex (or any other gear with +1 to socketed gems).

Leap Slam
: Leap Slam - Fortify

CWDT: Cast When Damage Taken (lv1)- Tempest Shield (lv7)

Cast When Stunned
: Cast when Stunned - Flame Golem - Molten Shell - Empower

Whether it's a good thing or not, I get stunned enough that my Flame Golem is always up. I do believe that eventually getting Unwavering Stance and switching to higher level CWDT instead of CwS is a better setup so I don't get stun-locked. The 3 points required to get there is just not worth it yet for me when those stun-lock situations are so outrageously rare...

This leaves 3 open slots. Put Reckoning and Riposte wherever you'd like.

Bandit Rewards

Eramir(passive) -Eramir(passive) - Alira(power charge)

Pretty straightforward. This build is very hungry for passive points and the power charge is for Discharge.

www.twitch.tv/Sushin for various games, generally laid back
Last edited by North2 on Sep 3, 2015, 5:05:59 PM
Okay, this looks good on paper, but where are the videos?
I'll get some videos up soon. Had to go to sleep and now I gotta go to work.
Video showcase is up. I managed to get a great shield finally, but it was after I made the video.
So I tried out Romira's Banquet Discharge WITHOUT Voll's Devotion and my damage more than doubled lol. I lose 800ES from taking off my left ring but it's definitely worth it...I'll update the thread when I get the chance.

As a side note, I'm still not going to use Voll's Devotion because my philosophy on max block builds is that the spell block is really what makes it any good.
Updated to accomodate for the switch into Discharge. I still don't know how to link my jewels...
Made a youtube account just to post more videos =P

I'd like to make videos of higher level maps soon...I just don't have any right now.
What Ring Would u wear when u don't have a shavronnes? ( life reg/maybe Resis/ es)Cant afford 30ex for this*^
And it's really hard to get a shield with 1k+ / 400+ , xD
V nice build.

Can you do an Atziri run video?

I like this build as it's tanky ALL THE TIME, not just when attacking (leeching etc) and it's using my fav skill discharge (well the dominus video was).

How about using life leech in mjolner with discharge to make this even more facetanky (if you haven't done so already) but you'll have to spend 3 more points to get Ghost reaver. TBH I'm not sure if it's worth it (average discharge dmg?) but maybe worth a test... Easier for reflect maybe?

And maybe using a shavs wrappings would be tankier and more dps? (not sure, but running twice as many aura's wouldn't hurt)

Also maybe Ele equilibrium might give you a v nice dps boost? Need to drop herald of thunder though but maybe not that great because of tempest shield also? (test? xD)
Last edited by EcNeRWaLJ on Sep 20, 2015, 5:30:52 AM
Why does this require romiras if you are going dual arc in the mjolner?
also, can i use aegis with that build, or could you try aegis and see what stats it gives?
Last edited by dr460nf1r3 on Sep 22, 2015, 7:26:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info