More XP in Gorge Maps than 77 Maps?

So I've been running a bunch of Gorge (76) maps as well as level 77 maps and it seems like I get more absolute XP with Gorge, not even considering clear speed or XP/hr, despite the higher XP penalty (I'm at level 89). Usually I get a good 7-8% from it, and 5-6% from 77 maps, without pack size mods. Is the Gorge map just that much better at spawning bigger packs, or have I just been unlucky on the 77 maps?
I'd say that it's definitely possible, but probably hard (or at least quite inconvenient) to get reliable data for.

Maps differ with regard to their average size, number of packs spawning, and favored enemy types. Monsters differ in the amount of XP that they give. I think it's possible that lower-level map indeed has a more favorable set of these parameters than a higher level map, enough to let it give more XP on average.

However, there is a lot of random fluctuation that could spoil the data. Apart from the randomness that is inherent to map generation anyway, we have map mods (which can boost the number of triple-XP-giving magic mobs, or override the map's usual selection of enemies), strongboxes (which can boost the number of available enemies, and generate triple-XP-giving magic packs as well), and perhaps more factors that I forgot.

I suppose one _could_ get reliable data by running perhaps 20 each of Gorge and a lvl 77 map, white (to prevent map mods from influencing the data), and ignore all strongboxes. That should be enough for a statistical check whether there's an actual difference there apart from random variance. (If the effect is really strong, then it could probably be shown with less runs per map). But ... that doesn't really sound practical, does it? ;)

It's probably more fun to just keep playing the game. If you think you found a map that gives good XP, then use that knowledge, while keeping a skeptic eye on it (since it may end up being just random fluctuation after all). That's what I would do. :)

From playing through the maps, I _did_ get the impression that some maps might provide more XP than others, but I didn't really monitor it closely enough to get to any sort of conclusion. Hopefully someone else can provide a more useful answer. :)
Thanks for your insight! Yea my sample size isn't that big so I was wondering if anyone else got that impression. It has a 10% higher penalty and still gives more exp for me, I guess I'll keep running them although they're almost as expensive as the lvl 77 maps!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info