TOP 10 BROKEN MECHANICS - AS A NEW PLAYER

After playing for seven months my opinion

SHARDS - eg 2880 alts = farming 8640 Rares min. Why is there so much value given to orbs in a house advantage gambling/crafting system. Shards need removing

UNIQUES - Over 300 Uniques, very few are of use in endgame. obsolete mods eg enemies cannot leech mana? Can this be updated please

BM KEYSTONE - More BM builds? Yet the placement is terrible could be placed on left side mid between Marauder and Templar trees

GEAR UPGRADES - Sold for hard to find Exalts. Seems too expensive, time consuming to buy items and use the gambling system to create Exalt worthy items

EB CHANGE - Couldnt it have just have been changed to require 200 Int, mana casters lose so much damage. It was kind of a debuff in the first place (no ES)?

CRAFTING META - In a nutshell tri res. No crafting diversity, the resistance penalty in Merciless could do with being reduced to 30 percent to encourage it

DROP RATES - I dont rng enough exalts to buy the uniques i want, uniques dont drop enough to rng the unique i want

"GATES" - Leveling is gated behind max lvl of areas/maps. Uniques are gated behind your/area lvl and maps. Currency is gated behind rng, cant be earned and seems overvalued by the devs. Time spent in the game feels very unrewarding very often. ALTS etc should drop in stacks

WITCH - No great keystones in the witch starting area GR, PA waste alot of points travelling to them, and also give no alternative passives (DEX) for the points spent travelling

MALACHAI/ACT4 PIETY - ACT 1,2,3,4 - N,C,M are superfun except for the trio and Malachai. The games great until you get to the unexplained damage and degen of them. No need for a nerf just explain their damage more clearly

Feel free to add, keep on topic please
Last edited by RIOTxHotD on Aug 27, 2015, 10:08:30 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I remember when I was a new player my god did I feel overwhelmed.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
I remember when I was a new player my god did I feel overwhelmed.

I was the exact same, I remember playing and for about 50-100 hours then quitting multiple times as I was just too overwhelmed and was completely stuck before I had even finished cruel. I eventually came back, and I'm so glad I did as I love PoE, I now have the best part of 1,000 hours behind me, multiple level 90+ Characters etc, I still don't understand many of the mechanics in the game etc, but I have a solid enough basic understand of things to not feel completely lost all the time.

I think GGG have made some great steps to help the game be a bit more accessible (gem vendors etc) for the newer players, whilst not taking away the fact that this is a really in-depth game with lots of mechanics etc.
I remember I cried in cruel or some shit saying it was too hard irl and quit :( oh how times have changed.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
OP, I think you make some solid points that (IMO) would make the game better.

However, after reading the recent Q&A, I don't expect any core design changes any time soon...
Path of Exile, the poe.trade mini-game.
"
RIOTxHotD wrote:

After playing for seven months my opinion

SHARDS - eg 2880 alts = farming 8640 Rares min. Why is there so much value given to orbs in a house advantage gambling/crafting system. Shards need removing

Why? It seems a fairly intuitive means of freeing up sale values to me. Shards mean that individual items can be sold for more accurate values in the absence of gold.

"
UNIQUES - Over 300 Uniques, very few are of use in endgame. obsolete mods eg enemies cannot leech mana? Can this be updated please

Uniques aren't all MEANT to be used in the endgame. Some are meant to be found while leveling, some are meant to be strangre and obscure build-enablers.

"
BM KEYSTONE - More BM builds? Yet the placement is terrible could be placed on left side mid between Marauder and Templar trees

The current placement of Blood Magic is a) meant to tax people who want to pick up this (incredibly powerful) keystone and b) to aesthetically counterbalance the location of Chaos Inoculation.

"
GEAR UPGRADES - Sold for hard to find Exalts. Seems too expensive, time consuming to buy items and use the gambling system to create Exalt worthy items

Expensive? Sure, but the system is designed to give players obscene amounts of control over crafting, in that one actually CAN craft items. Also, I've never met a trader who won't take the much-more-common Chaos Orbs instead of exalts.

"
EB CHANGE - Couldnt it have just have been changed to require 200 Int, mana casters lose so much damage. It was kind of a debuff in the first place (no ES)?

Eldritch Battery, especially when combined with Mind Over Matter and/or the Cloak of Defiance, was an obscenely good defensive option that dominated the meta pre-2.0 to an absurd degree. Not to mention--200 intelligence is laughably easy to attain.

"
CRAFTING META - In a nutshell tri res. No crafting diversity, the resistance penalty in Merciless could do with being reduced to 30 percent to encourage it

Dropping the resistance penalty would be silly and make resistances inconsequential aspects of the game's design.

"
DROP RATES - I dont rng enough exalts to buy the uniques i want, uniques dont drop enough to rng the unique i want

I DO agree that drop rates are too low for a lot of things. Still, look into the Chaos Orb recipe, they'll start raining from the sky for you.

"
"GATES" - Leveling is gated behind max lvl of areas/maps. Uniques are gated behind your/area lvl and maps. Currency is gated behind rng, cant be earned and seems overvalued by the devs. Time spent in the game feels very unrewarding very often. ALTS etc should drop in stacks

"Can't be earned"? Please elaborate.

"
WITCH - No great keystones in the witch starting area GR, PA waste alot of points travelling to them, and also give no alternative passives (DEX) for the points spent travelling

...Why are you playing Poison Arrow on a witch?

"
MALACHAI/ACT4 PIETY - ACT 1,2,3,4 - N,C,M are superfun except for the trio and Malachai. The games great until you get to the unexplained damage and degen of them. No need for a nerf just explain their damage more clearly

I do actually agree that Piety and Malachai have too much damage, but the trio is laughably easy.
FYI: It's not a fantasy story, it's a cosmic horror story.
judging from the title I thought someone finally took time to gather all the bullshit unavoidable 7k hp oneshot combos that can happen in the game. Disappoint.

I only agree with a4 piety being poorly designed since she punishes certain builds WAY too hard compared to the others
Also I really dislike iiq\iir being present in the game. Playing without iiq\iir seems too pointless for me since you get too few drops and the game becomes boring too fast
"
Loreweaver wrote:

"

...Why are you playing Poison Arrow on a witch?

"

I do actually agree that Piety and Malachai have too much damage, but the trio is laughably easy.

I believe they mean Pain Attunement and not Poison Arrow.

Agreed on the trio being easy, but I'm not too worried about that since it seems intentional in case someone wants to just get to Malachai quick. That and Piety + Malachai kinda make up for them. They're punishing if the character doesn't have certain defenses but end up fairly easy with said defenses stacked.
"
RIOTxHotD wrote:

Said before, but why?

"
RIOTxHotD wrote:

Some uniques are designed to be low level quick progression gear. Not all uniques are end game or build defining.

"
RIOTxHotD wrote:

Value of items people are trading are set by the players. Yes exalts are quite rare. Making exalts less rare would only lower their value and make items for trade cost more.

"
RIOTxHotD wrote:

There are ways to get a lot of your resists from the tree from a few start points. If you focus on that you don't need to focus on resists on gear as much. I do not agree that this needs to be changed.

"
RIOTxHotD wrote:

Why should alts drop in stacks? They are easy enough to build up large quantities of as it is if you focus on it.

"
RIOTxHotD wrote:

Piety and Malachai are not all that bad. Once you learn their attack patterns, you can avoid much of the damage they put out. Or is it that the you have to figure out the way to defeat them that bothers you?
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?

"
SHARDS

Shards are fine, they allow you to turn things that have no use to you into things that do.

"
UNIQUES

Unqiues aren't all designed to be endgame or even good. I doubt we see outdated mods removed or changed.

"

No, bloodmagic is EXACTLY where it should be, between teh marauder (but closer) and the duelist areas. The templar is a CASTER which has access to good mana nodes and regen and bloodmagic fits more inline of a str\dex class then it does a str\int class.

"

Gear upgrades are most easily acquired from trading.

"

The EB change is MEH imo and why the top of the tree classes are "failing" along with the prolif nerf meta. I don't like the requirement of doing EB\GR or EB\ZO, which one or the other is now required. How is stacking these keystones better for balance?

"

No, resistance penalty is absolutely nothing right now and so easy to work around. I played D2 a couple months ago and the penalty is much cheaper here then it was in D2 and in D2 getting rares\res was HARD.

"

Happens, turn your lower currencies up and don't waste it when you don't need to.

"

No alts can't drop in stacks, thats too much. Play the game for more then 2 hours a day and don't waste your currency and you can see it stack up.

"

Look directly across the tree to duelist, the only "decent" keystone is IR, witch has access to MI, GR, CI, PA and EB.

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info