Build/gear review / do I die too often?

Hi there,

I'm a relatively new player. I joined 2 years ago levelling a ranger up to 46 and then got bored. Picked up the game again a couple weeks ago and got hooked. Currently playing a level 80 (soon 81) templar with a totem/summoner setup. I'm only playing solo, and no intention to change this as this would fuel my addiction to even unhealthier levels.

My main source of DPS are my dual flame totems, followed by 3 buffed zombies. Supported by a chaos golem and 2 spectres, and as many skeletons and ragin spirits as I can cast and keep up. It works pretty well and seems fast enough. But I do still die a lot. Until A3 merciless I had about 2.2k life and 1k ES, now this has improved to 3.7k life and 2k ES (with aura). Fire/lightning res are capped, ice is low (but >0%), chaos is in the minus.

I'm almost exclusively running white/blue level 69-72 maps at the moment. Most of the time I do fine, sometimes I die within an instant. Is this normal? I do currently plan on only replacing items if the new one has +life and whatever resitance I'm low in. I know I read here before that "99% of the content is piss easy and the last 1% can kill you in an instant" so maybe I'm not off too bad and just need to step back when I encounter that 1%.

Also while I do feel like I'm doing fine, sometimes I'm reading on the forum about people at level 80 with 7k HP that do 50k DPS I feel a bit inadequate.

Any thoughts on my current build or gear, things that I need to change or that would make sense? I'm not looking for links to full builds, but more things like "XXX is really not that useful for you, you should refund that point" or "you should really aim to get a total of +xx% life through talents".

I know I need to replace my chest - it was a bad buy because I didn't notice it was corrupted and the socket colors don't work great with my flame totem. It's currently reporting 2.3k DPS (with GMP) and could do around 3.5 (with GMP) if I could use my blue gems. But I'm not swapping the chest at the moment because it's got great +life/ES on it and I haven't found a 5L to replace that.

Anyway, thanks for having a look!

Build:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUAA-4EswZJCPQMXw18Dc0QWBDMES0TbBVQFm8abBynHM4c3B2-JKoo-ioTK1ArtiycMtEzhzbFNuk8LUGHRKFFR0WdSOdPBFNSU6VXyVjlWiteXWaeaPJqQ2qsa9ttGXxLfIN9GH31gpuCx4Nfg8yD84UyiECK5IxGjHaPGo9GkDOWdJrgm6Gb7J2uogCj8qaspwinlK4Sr2yvm6-ntoa3Mbc-uJPAVMBmwxPE9sau0f3T-9gk2L3a3eNq6-7siu0g8B_4k_no-tL-Cv5U

Gear:
Spoiler
Last edited by WildcardMoo on Aug 13, 2015, 9:01:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info