[2.0 WIP] Ignite bear-trap Shadow build

Alright, so I overhauled this build a bit as I did some more theory crafting.

This build requires Blackgleam quiver for physical damage to fire damage conversion with bear trap, alongside avatar of fire making your physical damage 100% fire.

The core of this build revolves around Bear Trap's insane base damage, and useful root ability. Bear trap at level 20 does 1298-1818 damage, and can be qualitied to 20% more physical damage. If you can corrupt it for a bonus level the damage gets even higher, giving potentially insane top end damage as bear trap will receive all your elemental damage modifiers. Compared to fire trap, bear trap does about 4 times more damage and also comes with a root effect based on the damage done.

This will not be Atziri viable and possibly not viable in general, but should produce some of the single highest damage in the game to enemies vulnerable to ignite.

Skill build

Full talent tree
You'll probably want to skip a lot of the crit points early until you can better utilize them. You still have an OK chance to ignite without them so your damage won't be lacking, and yellow mobs running into 6 fireball traps don't usually get far.

Skill gems

In the midgame your primary will be: Fireball + Trap + Multiple Traps + Fire Penetration OR Point Blank for your 4L. Whether you use Point Blank or Fire Penetration depends on the amount of monster mods you're facing: higher resists means Fire Penetration will grant way more damage, if you have 5L or 6L then put in Point blank/Fire pen, whichever you are missing.

Once you can skill yourself to Avatar of Fire, you switch to Bear Trap + Multiple Traps + Fire Penetration + Increased Critical Strikes + Increased Critical Damage + Elemental Proliferation

Your second skill will be Fire trap, which should be supported by increased burning, trap and mine damage, increased AOE.

Gear

There's one required unique, Blackgleam, the rest is negotiable.
You'll want increased critical damage, increased fire damage, increased burning duration if possible, the rest of your stats should be rather defensive.

I'm still leveling this build to make sure the practice works first hand, but I'd love input from more experienced and technically knowledgeable players. I'm still not sure how viable an ignite centric build is but I figured I'd have to try since all the other guides are still outdated and pre-2.0. A lot of info on the wiki is quite outdated so I've been pouring through patchnotes and the forums to make sure I get some of these interactions right.

Unless I find some more useful synergies, this build is on hold, there's still possibilities in using physical skills and bow skills or cold to fire conversions, but nothing game breaking.
Last edited by Sunk3n on Aug 9, 2015, 7:49:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info