Small Caution to Players and HC Players in Particular

New to these forums but not to Path of Exile. So first post. (Also unsure where to post this as there is no Hardcore sub-forum that I could find)

I've been exclusively a Hardcore player for years going all the way back to the early 2000's in Diablo 2. Quite frankly, every other mode of play is mind-numbingly boring, at least to me. Path of Exile is a nice change in that it is very difficult and there are numerous mechanics which make it very challenging; it has the steepest learning curve of an game I've ever played by a large margin; it is not new player friendly.

I've lost quite a few mapping level characters to one-shot mechanics which I was completely ignorant of and a few others under circumstances which I would deem a bit unfair. Just last night I lost my 66 Marauder. (Here's the caution). My method of dealing with strongboxes is to pop a QS + Added movement flask, click the box, and then run to a clear/safe spot and deal with the flow of mobs in a safer manner. However, in the Crystal Veins, I did the same thing and it rubber-banded me back into the middle of all the nice fellas who wanted to say hello and killed be in about just over a second (less than half of which I was in control of my character). Now, I don't flask spam, as I'm a bit more experienced than that, but it is remarkably annoying to lose your character and hours of your life to something that is essentially beyond your control, as I'm sure the HC player base is no stranger to. I was able to take that same character in Standard and clear 70 Alch'd maps with zero problem and even being a bit reckless. I'm near certain that the devs don't rollback characters so this is just a word of caution to anyone who might employ a similar tactic in dealing with strongboxes (my framerates were also fine as I had them displayed in the upper right corner; 70-100 all night). Unsure if this should also go in the Bug forum as it probably isn't a "bug" but I'm no computer expert.

Anyways, great game, great community (for the most part), and I wish all players the best of luck.

Best,

James
I've been using smoke mine for the strongboxes, you open the box and teleport away
Lightning warp is also a good choice
Using a quartz instead of a quicksilver will make you run through enemies too
Were you playing in Lockstep or Predictive? Ive yet to have an issue ever since Lockstep was added!

Ofcourse they also added the DC server as well which put me at 33 ping!
Now before Lockstep... Man i done EVERYTHING imaginable to open boxes and every single one at some point got me killed because of how Desync worked! Used to be about a 50/50 chance on any given box that shit might go sideways and not a damn thing i can do about it!

Lockstep is so good im now playing HC pretty much for the first time in this League... And i dont think ill be going back now... The Thrill is just too good! And when you beat a hard boss or get further than the last time it just feels good! That and i guess you could say i kinda run out of goals in SC too!
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Aug 7, 2015, 10:25:10 PM
I've ripped two char 65-75 due to strongbox, two on tempest servers can't even remember the others, even with lightning warp the game just freeze with some box and your fucked up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info