[2.0]Romeo's Reave Ranger Build

Welcome to Romeo's Reave Ranger build guide. I've had a lot of people asking me about this build so I figured it would be a lot easier to just post a guide for it. So here you go!

-Pros
Only requires ONE high DPS weapon!
Very cheap, but offers lots of upgrade potential when you get rich
Insane clear speed
Looks awesome (especially with Demonic Reave Effect from the shop)
Has a screen-wide AoE that will kill almost anything instantly

-Cons
Depending on your item choice, physical reflect can end up oneshotting you
Desynch from Whirling Blades is a possibility
People might get mad that you go too fast

How to play Romeo's Reave Ranger Build:
Spoiler
The basis of this build is to use a mace or axe in your main hand, while using a high dps sword in your offhand. Since reave only uses the sword, even having a random white axe in your main hand will increase your dps substantialy!
We run Hatred and Herald of Ice in order to shatter enemies and cause the curse on hit Assassin's Mark to curse whatever survives the intial hit. This causes you to crit more often and creates a snowball effect of exploding ice.
To start off you need to charge your Vaal Reave. Once you have it charged, stack your regular reave to 4 stacks, then hit vaal reave to increase those stacks to 8. (this gives us the screen-sized AoE) After that, just whirling blades around and kill everything you see.
This build is meant to be played very quickly, as blood rage and reave stacks need to be kept up in order to sustain your dps and not die due to running out of mana.

Passive Tree(s)
Spoiler
My current passive tree (still leveling and working out)

Leveling:
Spoiler
We start off by taking the attack speed, and go immediately to life/evasion, picking up finesse and going to heart of oak, then primal spirit.

**If you want to go more glassy you can instead get the melee damage and attack speed**

Right after that you need to get spirit void by going through the dual wield wheel and life.

Next on the list is the duelist section including life, evasion, damage, attackspeed, and regen.

Up next we want the sword wheel.

After the sword damage we want some more defensive stats, so we go for acrobatics and phase acrobatics next.

To the shadow sector for more melee damage and life.

Frenzy charges!

Twin terrors and Druidic Rite.

More Crit!

Gear and Links:
Spoiler
My Current Gear:
Spoiler

Gems and Links:
Spoiler
3L:Vaal Reave - Multistrike - Faster attacks
3L:Blood Rage (level 7) - Cast when Damage Taken (level 1) - Warlords Mark (level 5)
4L:Herald of Ice - Curse on Hit - Assassin's Mark - Hatred
4L:Whirling Blades - Fortify - Blood Magic - Faster Attacks
4L:Summon Ice Golem - Increased Duration - Immortal Call - Enduring Cry
This build will work on a 4link, so 5L and 6L are just bonuses!
4L: Reave - Faster Attacks - Multistrike - Increased Area of Effect - (Melee Physical Damage) - (Increased Critical Strikes)

Although this build doesn't REQUIRE a specific set of items, there are a few I would reccomend.
Abyssus is an insane DPS increase, and doesn't cost much (about 10 chaos for a cheap one).

Lavianga's Wisdom: Insanely cheap and it's the main item of this build. Not required, but strongly reccomended.

Atziri's Promise flask: Nice DPS increase and life leech + chaos resistance.

Taste of Hate (EXPENSIVE!!) Not required but will surely help with the physical reflect issue this build has. If you can't afford one, just use a granite flask until you can.

As far as jewelry is concerned: Rare rings and amulets with Resists, Life, and Life Leech will do just fine.
If you get your hands on a Carnage Heart, you can use this till end-game.

Upgrades:
Spoiler
Carcass jack, expensive but one of the best chest armours for this build.
Death's Hand. Best possible upgrade to Lavianga's, but really expensive.

Flasks:
Spoiler
You will want any combination of Bubbling or Seething health pots, as well as Atziri's Promise, and either Taste of Hate or a Granite flask. Also reccomended is at least one Staunching (remove bleed).

I hope you all like my build! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

FAQ
Spoiler
Q:Are you retarded? Why are you using 2 curses when it's not a dual curse build??
A:Simple answer: Because I can.
Long answer: The curses nearly never interact with eachother. The Assassin's will only activate while you're already killing stuff, and you'll almost never see it because of how fast you kill stuff. The warlords mark will activate on CWDT to keep you alive.

Q:Are you even more retarded? Why are you using a level 20 weapon?!
A:Because of the way reave works. It doesn't actually calculate the dps on the mace, only the sword. And since you get a bunch of bonuses for dual wielding (attack speed, block, etc) you end up having higher dps than if you were to use a high dps weapon on both hands.

Q:If Carcass Jack and Taste of Hate are reccomended, why don't you have them?
A:Cuz I'm a poor boy.
Last edited by RomeOMG on Aug 4, 2015, 7:17:27 PM
Updates:
Spoiler
8/4/15: Build posted
8/4/15: Added upgrades
Last edited by RomeOMG on Aug 4, 2015, 3:56:15 PM
Reserved.
This guy's character is OP and fast! I played with him 3 days ago. Dried Lake Merciless was a breeze.
Thanks Jibie! Yea that was some fun runnin.
isn't this just Ziggy D's southpaw reave ranger? I dont see what is much different compared to his build.

Its a very fun build to play though!
"
PhillyB wrote:
isn't this just Ziggy D's southpaw reave ranger? I dont see what is much different compared to his build.

Similar, but not quite the same. This is a more budget-friendly version.
Last edited by RomeOMG on Aug 4, 2015, 6:06:08 PM
"
RomeOMG wrote:
"
PhillyB wrote:

I really like dw reave builds and was hoping for a different take, everything about this guide is pretty much the same as the southpaw reave guide with a very small difference in the tree. I dont really see how this is more budget either, the budget weapons suggested in the southpaw reave build are the same as the ones you suggested. I guess it is nice to see this build on the front page since is alot of fun. If someone would like a nice video guide to accompany this one, ziggyd made an updated video of this build july 20th.

Was also curious why you dont link immortal call on CWDT? Is it just a control thing?

edit: you should also recommend a bleed pot! It is really easy to stack up something like corrupting blood if you aren't paying attention, so bleed removal is a must!
Last edited by PhillyB on Aug 4, 2015, 7:01:35 PM
"
PhillyB wrote:
"
RomeOMG wrote:
"
PhillyB wrote:

I really like dw reave builds and was hoping for a different take, everything about this guide is pretty much the same as the southpaw reave guide with a very small difference in the tree. I dont really see how this is more budget either, the budget weapons suggested in the southpaw reave build are the same as the ones you suggested. I guess it is nice to see this build on the front page since is alot of fun. If someone would like a nice video guide to accompany this one, ziggyd made an updated video of this build july 20th.

Was also curious why you dont link immortal call on CWDT? Is it just a control thing?

edit: you should also recommend a bleed pot! It is really easy to stack up something like corrupting blood if you aren't paying attention, so bleed removal is a must!

I have also been trying to figure out a way to make immortal call with CWDT while not gimping the warlords mark part. I suppose you could swap Blood Rage and Immortal Call and make that work, but then you have to manually recast blood rage if you wait too long for it to refresh itself.

I pretty much run the iron reave version posted by zwei in the duelist forum where a 2xCWDT setup is run for maintenance stuff

Cast when Damage taken Lvl1 - Warlords Mark lvl5 - Summon Ice Golem lvl3 - Blood Rage lvl7
Cast when Damage taken Lvl 12 - increased Duration - Molten Shell lvl16 - Immortal Call lvl14

edit: you would probably need to run the 2nd CWDT setup in a pure armor piece to get the 4 red sockets
Last edited by PhillyB on Aug 4, 2015, 7:46:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info