Temporal Chains

and for the record, the passives do apply. temporal chains is already explained and is the special "After the fact" case.
I run a hardcore level 69 Summon Witch with permed double curses.

I use temp chains always and vary the second curse depending on what I face.

My understanding of Temporal Chains is that is essentially a time warp that encapsulates the cursed enemies into another dimension of time. That said, I have a question regarding how this effects the spell damage of cursed targets. If a cursed target uses firestorm or other DPS skill attacks against you, their DPS is reduced in real time. However, that is not true regarding chaos damage over time? That is not logical.

If an enemy is cursed within a time warp all of the effects they perform that are time related effects should also be impacted. Instant damage attacks are not over time and are therefore instant in all regards. But damage over time attacks that they perform should also see the effects of the time warp. I do not notice this as being true in regards to damage over time chaos damage. Though to be fair I am rather hesitant to test it in any real way as I really do not care to die on hardcore to prove a point. :)

Can someone please help with this?

Respectfully given,
LoS
Last edited by LordOfShadowz on Mar 14, 2013, 11:44:41 AM
"If a cursed target uses firestorm or other DPS skill attacks against you, their DPS is reduced in real time."
Er, nope. TC only slows Cast/Attack/Move Speed and timers on buff/status effects/etc.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"If a cursed target uses firestorm or other DPS skill attacks against you, their DPS is reduced in real time."
Er, nope. TC only slows Cast/Attack/Move Speed and timers on buff/status effects/etc.

The actual projectiles themselves are also slowed in flight. Ergo the DPS of that particular attack in real time is decreased.

Respectfully given,
LoS
Last edited by LordOfShadowz on Mar 14, 2013, 12:12:49 PM
are you talking about when you are hexed or foe is hexed? neither impact firestorm's damage but if you were casting firestorm while also hexed with temporal chains, then you cast slower. that is only thing TC does to firestorm.
Actually neither. I am speaking strictly about "damage over time" to be clear.

Let's look at this from the perspective of being hexed for a moment. Assume you are hexed with temp chains and in your world from your perspective time moves more slowly that that of your enemy. You fire a projectile. That projectile flies through the air more slowly. your projectile strikes your target. One of two things happens at this point -- it either does instant damage or does damage over time. Clearly temp chains would never impact instant damage -- that is the enfeeble curse. However, from the perspective of the attacking cursed enemy - his damage over time would suddenly appear to accelerate if temp chains did not effect it. That is not logical. The amount of damage should remain the same but be extended over a longer period of time.

This would include damage such as ignite and chaos -- damage over time instances where the damage itself is a direct result of the spell cast by the hexed entity. Since that entity is caught in a time warp -- its damage over time logically would also be inflicted within that same warp -- otherwise the effect is to speed up the DPS caused by the hexed entity (using its warped time as the frame of reference.) I am not saying the damage itself should be reduced. That would be silly. I am saying that the damage should impact its target at a rate that is consistent with the time warp in which the hexed entity finds itself.

um ok but thats a good thing damage per second is maintained while the duration is prolonged via the "slower time".
firestorm is not DoT.
also projectiles still move at same rate as they already did (this curse does not affect projectile speed).
Projectile speed seems to be impacted when I play. I am old and these eyes do not work like they did when I was a youngster but the projectile speeds of cursed vs. non cursed seems to change. Perhaps it is an illusion. However if it does not change then I would argue that it should. If Temporal Chains is in fact a time warp it would and should be a time warp.

Balance is an important aspect of any game. When a melee character is impacted by temp chains, the entirety of his attack is inflicted by a warped time. Should not that also be the case for ranged attackers and spell casters? Otherwise from the perspective of the hexed entity - their attacks actually speed up.

Now an argument could be made that this is an intended consequence. However, I would argue that the same kind of issue does not apply to other curses. Let's look at Flammability. There are many monsters or character builds (Righteous Fire) that use fire damage. If you are an entity that generates fire and you get hexed with Flammability, would it not make the fire damage that you generate more intense? As you are now more flammable and can generate a greater degree of fire.

My point is that is that if Temporal Chains is a time warp then it should be a time warp. If curses are intended to have both benefits and drawbacks then that should be available on the other curses as well. At this point it is not. That is why I am asking about this issue -- it seems to not be in sync with the rest of the game - which is awesome by the way.
"
LordOfShadowz wrote:
Projectile speed seems to be impacted when I play. I am old and these eyes do not work like they did when I was a youngster but the projectile speeds of cursed vs. non cursed seems to change. Perhaps it is an illusion. However if it does not change then I would argue that it should. If Temporal Chains is in fact a time warp it would and should be a time warp.

Balance is an important aspect of any game. When a melee character is impacted by temp chains, the entirety of his attack is inflicted by a warped time. Should not that also be the case for ranged attackers and spell casters? Otherwise from the perspective of the hexed entity - their attacks actually speed up.

Now an argument could be made that this is an intended consequence. However, I would argue that the same kind of issue does not apply to other curses. Let's look at Flammability. There are many monsters or character builds (Righteous Fire) that use fire damage. If you are an entity that generates fire and you get hexed with Flammability, would it not make the fire damage that you generate more intense? As you are now more flammable and can generate a greater degree of fire.

My point is that is that if Temporal Chains is a time warp then it should be a time warp. If curses are intended to have both benefits and drawbacks then that should be available on the other curses as well. At this point it is not. That is why I am asking about this issue -- it seems to not be in sync with the rest of the game - which is awesome by the way.

This is a video game right, it has a certain set of rules that don't have to abide to logic, especially when the logical conclusion is that it is currently impossibly feasible to reproduce in reality.

Temporal Chains does what it says it does and shouldn't do other stuff based on interpretation. Even if you wanted to argue that, Temporal Chains has a local effect on monsters, it's not an sustained area of "time warp" like you seem to suggest. Projectiles have no reason to be slowed upon entering the area because there is no area. The AoE part of the spell is simply an area where enemies get affected by the curse on cast, however once cast that area disapears, mobs can come and go as they please, only the mobs that were originally cursed are affected regardless of their position a few seconds later. As such projectiles have no reason to be slowed unless they were affected mid air by the curse, but we can easily assume curses can only affect beings, and not projectiles.

There are many reasons to explain why it doesn't if you want to look for them, but really the main reason is the skill isn't designed to do that, just like how flammability isn't designed to increase the fire dmg of mobs affected. And while you can find a logic in why they should, you can also find a logic in why they shouldn't, so ultimately it's just a subjective matter. You can make the suggestion if you feel that should be the case for flammability, however slowing projectiles has no ground for temporal chains, temp chains isn't the diablo 3/SC2 time distortion field thing.
So I've been trying to figure out exactly how the slow is applied to mobs, and I haven't been able to find a GGG post to clarify. As I see it, it could be applied in one of two ways (using attacks per second for illustrative purposes):

Cursed APS = APS / (1 + slow%)

So in other words, a hypothetical 100% slow would make them attack half as fast.

Or:

Cursed APS = APS * (1 - slow%)

In which our hypothetical 100% slow would serve as a "time-stop" on the mob.

The second way is, of course, better and the more obvious reading of the ability, so that's the assumption I've been working under. It would be nice to know for certain, however.
Last edited by jrk2f9 on Apr 12, 2013, 6:40:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info