Caustic Arrow

"
MurlockingQc wrote:
@Mark_GGG

I have a question, i saw that the Support Gem "Added Chaos Damage" had a +%Chaos Damage when the quality is increased.

Does it apply to Poison Arrow DoT if linked ?

Thanks!
No. adding damage to hits is not the same as increasing the rate of degen.
Currently playing a Ranger built around the degeneration effect of Poison Arrow (or what most games refer to as DoT), with Elemental Hit for single target damage.

I can say this much about it, its kind of viable. Even at level 52, it was able to do Fellshrine efficiently, and I quickly managed to hit 60 in time for Chaos. In Chaos, I could kill the majority of white trash mobs with the degeneration of one Poison Arrow, pretty much all white trash mobs with the Vulnerability curse.

But for blues, 2-4 was required, up to 5-6 for rares.

This may be the way you designed the skill, as a support skill, but there is no shortage of more powerful builds that can clear Chaos with ease, so I don't see a reason this skill couldn't get some minor love. I'd like to see more ways to build on Poison Arrow. I'm not sure how much you can do due to engine limitations, but being able to boost the damage or if that isn't possible, adding more duration passives. Also being able to get Item Rarity and Quantity to apply to degeneration kills would be great.

Also might look at the scaling of the degeneration damage, it scales reasonably well, but maybe could do with a bit of a boost at lvl 14+ gem level.
IGN : Jovial
Last edited by yhateful on Apr 19, 2012, 3:19:22 PM
lvl 40++ Poison Ranger. Currently my skills on my bow
-----------------------------
(Accuracy) +15 Quality......|
(Poison Arrow)..............|======== ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(ADded Critical strike).....|======== ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Lesser multiple arrow).....|
-----------------------------

I'm quite happy with (Poison Arrow) as a skill. I really don't know how to comment but say its quite good of a skill. I can wipe out crowds in an instant. Generally, its a perfect skill even to late game.

Grats on the skill
Last edited by Dlumenta on Apr 21, 2012, 11:57:26 AM
"
yhateful wrote:
Currently playing a Ranger built around the degeneration effect of Poison Arrow (or what most games refer to as DoT), with Elemental Hit for single target damage.

I can say this much about it, its kind of viable. Even at level 52, it was able to do Fellshrine efficiently, and I quickly managed to hit 60 in time for Chaos. In Chaos, I could kill the majority of white trash mobs with the degeneration of one Poison Arrow, pretty much all white trash mobs with the Vulnerability curse.

But for blues, 2-4 was required, up to 5-6 for rares.

This may be the way you designed the skill, as a support skill, but there is no shortage of more powerful builds that can clear Chaos with ease, so I don't see a reason this skill couldn't get some minor love. I'd like to see more ways to build on Poison Arrow. I'm not sure how much you can do due to engine limitations, but being able to boost the damage or if that isn't possible, adding more duration passives. Also being able to get Item Rarity and Quantity to apply to degeneration kills would be great.

Also might look at the scaling of the degeneration damage, it scales reasonably well, but maybe could do with a bit of a boost at lvl 14+ gem level.

I agree with this. The current DoT damage makes a pure build a little lacking. I spend most of my time running for several screens to avoid taking damage. If a rare mob has life regen with increased life and resist chaos damage sometimes it takes minutes to kill them even with the Vulnerability curse. Without the Vulnerability curse I can't even make their life go down. I'm waiting to hit one that can't be cursed as well, then I'm screwed. Most other builds are not this handicapped.

I think there should be passive skills which could amplify the DoT damage for those wanting to invest in a pure Poison Arrow build.

Naturally the increase should be small and should require a heavy investment to achieve say 100% increased dps of DoT damage to prevent overpowered hybrid builds. But enough passives to put the build on par with other builds.

If this is even possible. If not, then I say the DoT damage needs a small increase, which I know can be done since it used to be higher.

A support gems that do this could help:-

1. On physical crits Hit, slowed target by 20-25%(non-stackable)
2. 10% reduce damage.
3. 150% mana cost.

Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
lvl 14: 430 (+?)
lvl 15: 505 (+75)
lvl 16: 594 (+89)
lvl 17: 643 (+49)
lvl 18: 696 (+53)
lvl 19: 754 (+58)
Anyone got lvl 20 yet? (+64? :) )
with 0.9.9, all values are obsolete

0.9.9:
lvl 18: 344.0 (+?)
lvl 19: 371.7 (+27.7)
ign: Ron
Last edited by Alegor on May 9, 2012, 2:34:17 PM
I'm curious why this change was made in 9.9 to diminish the AOE effectiveness.

Discharge and elemental damage in general was king in 9.8 solo or groupped, and MF supports worked on it -- and both just got boosted in 9.9.

Poison arrow was viable solo and doesn't work with Magic Find supports and also not viable bordering on poor when groupped.

So why did it its damage get halved? Am I missing something?
(edit: I realize that damage was adjusted everywhere, but notes said discharge and elemental were increased and find PA to be decreased significantly. It seems workable so far, but definitely slower)

I'm going to make another PA build, but why would I want to when I can make a lightning or fire build ranged build (which is better as a witch anyway) that completely demolishes it in effectiveness?

I'm not complaining. I can roll with the punches, but this change doesn't seem to be the direction Poison Arrow should be taking. Particularly if PA aoe is not going to be affected by elemental, magic find, point blank, concentrated effect, added chaos, etc, etc.

I'm the Ps guy: Psomm, Pso, Psong, pso-on and pso-phorth.
Last edited by Psomm on May 10, 2012, 12:33:30 AM
I agree with Psomm. After working Poison Arrow primary skill ranger through lvl 70 last ladder, it seemed that the skill usable, even in chaos. It took a lot of hits and patience and my killing speed was nowhere near anyone else I played with in Chaos or even Fellshrine.

With the new patch, the monsters still die, but painfully slow. They might be dying from my poison arrow, or it might just be old age. (I went back and tested it with my legacy char under similar conditions).

Unless there are some passive skill boosts, or an un-nerfing, Poison Arrow won't be a reliable primary skill, and would have to be a secondary support, like a debuff.

*sigh*
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
I would agree also, PA need a boost.

In solo situation, its fine as it is.

But when comes to party, its lacking. They feels as hitting with same elemental arrows against the same elemental resist mobs.

I think the another problem is the shots keep
hitting the ground. Same problem even for Burning arrow.

Unless i use multiple-projectile gem, most of my shots seem hitting the ground.

I feel its best to relocate the current default way of shooting Burning/Poison Arrow, and put it into a key.

Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
Last edited by starsg on May 21, 2012, 5:36:12 AM
"
starsg wrote:
I would agree also, PA need a boost.

In solo situation, its fine as it is.

But when comes to party, its lacking. They feels as hitting with same elemental arrows against the same elemental resist mobs.

I think the another problem is the shots keep
hitting the ground. Same problem even for Burning arrow.

Unless i use multiple-projectile gem, most of my shots seem hitting the ground.

I feel its best to relocate the current default way of shooting Burning/Poison Arrow, and put it into a key.

You have to select a target for the arrows to fly and not hit ground.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info