PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .
Xbox servers are restarting in:
Sony servers are restarting in:

Gojira's Unkillable Bulwark for Tempest.

Hello everyone! First time posting a build here. I won't be too informative as the build is quite cut and dry.

Before I start I just want to make it apparent that this is NOT a build you're going to get 35kdps with, or a build where you can one shot anything that looks at you the wrong way. This build is made for progressing and surviving in Tempest with as little as possible, for as long as possible.

Enjoy!

Introduction

So a little about me. I've been playing PoE since open-beta and loving every second of it. Since the days of diablo 2 I've been addicted to tanky melee characters specializing in a certain weapon types. I've come a long way from building around bonesnap on my low level barb and am now here to present my omega-tanky hardcore Templar build. This build is cheap, effective, and of course, incredibly damn tanky. (Tempest tested and approved!) If you have any questions, compliments, or concerns about the build. Let me know below! Thanks!

Passives

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUAAZEB5wSzBS0FPAY5DF8OPBLhFCAUTRRxFPYYkRo4Gj4b-hynITQl3ycvKS4t0jpSOtg7OzwtPQ9AoEE_QYdDyEh4TwRQR1FgUeZTpVWpW6BeE18_YJFhUmdYZ5to8moBcql2rHdTeTl673wOfLh8u3zZfuKCB4PMhjuGYJBVkc6S0Je0nsWiAKQZp1Wtja4-r2yvp7Qvtiy3PrvtvJ_E9sVTxYrGrs9-2L3ZfNwy5FHkreoY7w7vTvAf8kHzBvNv9zL46_no-6r8S_4K

As you can see, this build is extremely tanky. Endurance charges, armor nodes, HP, regen, you have it all! There is a lot of flexibility room with this tree. I find this particular setup best for new or low-currency characters.

With the passives listed above, you should be able to face-tank ANYTHING.
Spoiler
(disclaimer - may not be able to face tank everything. not responsible for loss of characters. prices may vary. tax and shipping not included)

Statistically speaking, the passives hyper-focus on an insane amount of HP and % Life Regen. The two stats compliment each other very well and at 80+ you will be regen-ing over 300-400 life per second! Ever wanted to grab a beer while standing on desecrated ground and getting hit by skeletons? This build is for you!

In the passives you will notice I took maces as my damage source. This can be changed to either swords or axes, whichever you prefer. Just make sure to take the respective nodes in place of them.

This build is NOT the fastest build for mapping. You can kill things quickly, but the true strength of this build lies in going toe-to-toe with anything you find. Blacksmith? Meet glacial hammer. >:)

Skills

My favorite part about this build is the amount of skill diversity it allows melee characters. With the passives above, you can build around any red skill gem quite well. I personally prefer glacier hammer + ice crash as my main damage source. (If you're having mana issues, either spec/gem into blood magic or find a slower weapon)

My personal setup is as follows -

Ice Crash - Fortify, Melee Phys OR Weapon Elemental Damage, Added Fire Damage.

-Anything can work as a 5th if you have the link. I personally prefer a quality endurance charge on melee stun with this build.

Glacial Hammer - Fortify, Melee Phys, Added Fire Damage

- Standard. I don't use multistrike here because I dislike the auto targeting to parallel mobs, though it can be used in place of added fire damage.

4-Link - Cast on Damage Taken, Immortal Call, Enfeeble, Summon Fire Golem

-The key with this 4-link setup is to always use Enduring Cry, during, or immediately after your immortal call procs.

Now just throw in a leap slam and herald of ash, and you're good to go!

Remember, kids!

ALWAYS KEEP ENDURING CRY UP OR YOU'RE GOING TO DIE.

Gear

Gear is quite standard here. Focus on high armor pieces with HP and a solid resist or two per item. The main focus here will be your weapon. Just save up for a decent, slow weapon. The faster the weapon, the more mana issues you will have.

A 1k+ armor shield and body armor are highly recommended! Put those armor nodes to work!

Bandits

Oak -> Passive -> Oak

RIPPERS

Every build is weak to something, and this is no different. Mobs that can cast vulnerability (bone crushers, piety's hentaitentaclemonsters) can catch you off guard and kill you in seconds. Heavy, repeated chaos damage can also sometimes be a problem (though 90% of the time you will regen everything back before they can hit again). Outside of that and spooky ghost buffed bosses, you should be fairly safe.

Conclusion

So that's it! It's a fairly simple, cost effective build utilizing as much defense as possible. If you're low on currency, learning the game, starting a hardcore character, or just want to try something different. Give this a go! I promise, you won't die!

(you might die)
in chris we trust <3
Last edited by Gojiras on Jul 31, 2015, 7:38:15 PM
Hey, i like the build that you have posted, however i do have one question regarding tempest difficulty I wanted to ask you what gear you recommend for leveling as a party of 2-3players.Would be great if you could respond. Just some tips for group play/ leveling would ve appreciated.ps, could you post your passive skill tree progression? Whrn you were lvl 20 and 40 would be greeeat!
(edited out some irrelevant questions.)ps, what do you think about this build for tempest? What do i need to adjust? https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/105920
Last edited by Ukantos on Aug 2, 2015, 1:26:35 PM
Thanks for idea gojiras, i'm wanted to do my first templar in standart (I have a lot other chars about lvl ~80) and I chose your ice crash templar idea. so far it's quite slow at leveling even I do have plenty of low tier uniques to fasten the lvling process. But the defence part is really promising, as I am level ~30 and haven't died so far.

I'm gonna give updates about the progress and gear I will be using. It's strange that there is not that much posts here because build is really worth looking to.
Talamoana warrior
Thank you for the work you have done on the build.

i was wondering why you chose for the 6% life next to "devotion" and the "4% life" on the bottom

in my opinion you are way better off with these 2 nodes

- retribution (this is linked to an active node in your build)
- jewel node underneath templar start location.

keep it up!

"
Ever wanted to grab a beer while standing on desecrated ground and getting hit by skeletons? This build is for you!

This was all you had to say. Sold.
no current gear, no video, gg wp delete this plz
Thanks for the build,it's great!

and if you are interested,here are my experiences(?) so far:

Spoiler
First of all,i'm newb in poe,this templar is only my second character.The first is a ranger,and i fell right into the "noobtrap" of more damage,and i had to kite pretty much evertyhing,and every dark corner was a potential tick on my death counter.I died.i died a lot.The boss encounters were the weirdest:i died,went back,cast 1 ability,died again,rinse and repeat.It didn1t feel like too big of an accomplishment.What does this have to do with this build?Well,around lvl 54 (A3C),leveling was far too slow with the random deaths,so...let's try the 0fksgiven templar build.

It isn't too overwhelming like many other builds,the others i've encountered were like "Hi,this build is crazy,i have these uniques and it works,you better get them too or you're sh*t out of luck" /my thanks to all the other amazing guidemakers really,this is just how it feels in comparison/ Very beginner friendly,the concept of hp+hpregen stacking is easy to comprehend;and it gives enough leeway to experiment and get a better understanding of the game.

i was using molten strike with life on hit,becuase i wasn't sure if my health could handle facetanking everything without the passive tree benefits early.It was good;even when i was high enough to use ice crush,i couldn't let it go(and the mana cost in the same setup when swapping IC with MS was too high).Right now i'm lvl 42,and just finished normal,no death so far(it IS nice for a newb like me,even if it is just normal),the only slightly annoying thing is that the tormented mobs almost always get away,even my vaal glacial hammer is useless against them (QQ).I was rolling without enfeeble and cwdt,so i cant comment on that,but i have my 4L with a blue link now,so i expect nice things from that too.I'll probably try out the ice crash variaton later(when i can get 5Ls and experiment with blood magic or something)

This little rant was written to lay the groundwork for the conclusion:IT FEELS GREAT!A slow burn through everything that stands in your way,it lets you listen to the lore when those pesky mobs wanna take a bite out of your a**,and even when your mouse randomly disconnects(mine does that sometimes),no worries.You might have to pop a potion against bosses tho.What a shame.

For a more experienced player,this might me just a bunch of empty words,but anything that popped up in my mind was irrelevant as far as the build goes,i'm only lvl42 after all.I just wanted you to know that this build made me feel pretty good while playing Path of Exile,and that's all that matters,right?

(i might come back when i'm around lvl60-70 to report my progress,must go back to playing now)

Thanks again :)

(ps:try to make sense of the grammar,good luck.and weep for the orbs i've wasted on low level gear)

update:lvl 58,done with cruel.I had to revamp the gear a bit (my resistances were far too low for merciless) here's the stuff I'm planning to use for a while:

Spoiler

(the rings and the belt will probably change if i can play around with my resistances later,the rest seems fine)

i know enfeeble should be after ic,but i'm not willing to roll for that just yet.if that 250 ms is missing later ,then i'll do it,but not yet.I wasn't sold on the flame totem as the last gem for a while,but i couldn't find a better alternative,so i gave up.ice crash is just there to fill the slot,and i'm grooming the reduced mana gem for a 5L in the future(i know i could just buy it later,but it has sentimental value).oh and molten strike with multistrike is hilarious.LoH is sitting on the bench,not sure if i need it anymore.

so merciless here we come,hopefully i'll be coming back with even more success with this build!

(spoiler tags to make the post less hideous)
Last edited by BKrisz on Aug 23, 2015, 7:56:12 AM
My really tanky +70 Firestorm/Flame Surge Templar died yesterday because i was so stupid to fight Vagan with two of his archers standing on some crap(for me) tempest. i was dead faster then i could look. Never fight Vagan in HC.

Anway my second HC Build will be now your Ice crash Templar build and i am really glad for it because i like the Ice Crash Skill.
First of all thank you for taking the time to post this.

You did say: "ALWAYS KEEP ENDURING CRY UP OR YOU'RE GOING TO DIE. "

"Ever wanted to grab a beer while standing on desecrated ground and getting hit by skeletons? This build is for you!"

Does the life regen post level 80 make it possible to not worry about keeping enduring cry up?

Thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info