[2.0] DW Hyaon's Fury Lightning Striker 60k+ DPS

ABOUT THIS THREAD
I don't want to make one more standard guide but I would like to share my experience with GGG and community about my experience with Hyaon's Fury sword by providing my build and thinking.

The idea behind this build is pretty simple: I wanted to create a quite cheap and strong enough build to farm high level maps at the beggining of a new league using Hyaon's Fury. I don't like to farm and waste a lot of time inside the game and asically PoE for me is a build sandbox but not an actual action RPG. Now my hero is level 86 and I've got almost everything I wanted so I have no fun to play this build (and the game overall if I don't find a really interesting build I would like to try).

HYAON'S FURY PROBLEMS
While it looks like a huge dps sword it is not. It actually has 500+ dps which then is being boosted by frenzy charges in real game is not that big. Don't make that high maximum lightning damage number fool you -- it actaully doesn't give you that much DPS as it look like should give. But the minimum damage is just 1 so attacks sometimes are really small and there is no really good possibilities to push it higher. Also lightning damage is really difficult to scale. The sword itself has overall small attack speed and crit chance.

Along with this there are few serious drawbacks such as increased damage taken and inability to leech life/mana because of lightning damage makes it ok but not an excellent sword. No kidding a rare sword with 250+ DPS, 7.5+ crit and 1.7+ would give you much more damage and possibilities for about the same money. In my opinion making Hyaon's Fury's added lightning damage, let's say, 50-600 would make this sword really strong.

BRAINSTORMING PROCESS
Now I want to explain few things around decisions I made during build planning.

Dual Wielding: for me it was obvious that DW is the best solution here because a sword itself give a lot of DPS. I was right, DW compared to 1-hand give me almost twice more damage.

Acrobatics: I thought it was the only good defensive mechanism here because taking all 3 Frenzy charges from the tree keeps me at the very right side of the tree that means ES is not reachable and armour is not good enough due to high incoming damage from swords (42% with 7 charges) and high rate of stuns.
After playing it for a while I realised that Dodge and Evasion doesn't work as I whished they both do. I still get a lot of incoming physical damage, looks like some sort of skills are not dodgeable at all (for example Ethereal Knives from Lavyrinth and Jungle Valley maps litterally oneshots me with 4200 HP and Arctic Armour on). According to this I think Iron Reflexes is a good variant here (but I haven't tested it).

Thief's Torment: it's also obvious there is no real way to leech life or mana from elemental damage (particulary from lightning damage). Life or mana leech from gems don't suit due to a reason I mentioned above. Regeneration is also not achievable so I decided to give a try to this ring. After playing with it a lot I claim Thief's Torment is the MVP of this build. It solves so many problems it's drawback (unability to wear a second ring) is nothing to comparison of it's usefulness.

Lightning Strike: when I hear words like 'lightning' and 'safety' the only skill comes to my mind is Lightning Strike. Huge AoE, ranged attack and Lightning convertion (heavily increasing minimum lightning damage) makes this skill a perfect choice here. No way you find anything better. Supports are also obvious: Multistrike to gain more life and spend less mana, WED gives many more damage, LMP increases AoE and life/mana gain, Lightning Penetration is essensial and Faster Attacks increases damage and life gain.

Critical Strikes: in despite of low basic crit chance (just 5%) I decided to grab some nodes for few reasons: I need more damage, Herald of Thunder autocurse is important in charge generation and crits basically boosts heavily lightning damage through shock.

PROS & CONS
+ fairly high damage and clear speed
+ budget build
+ awesome for soloing
+ can do high level maps

- almost glass cannon, easy to get oneshotted
- difficult to gain and keep frenzy charges which makes party playing unplayable
- some map and beyond bosses are literally unkillable

PASSIVE TREE
For level 86 at poedb.tw (pathofexile.com mirror)

MY GEAR
Auras + Golem tooltip DPS: ~14500
7 Frenzy charges tooltip DPS: ~50000

Note that the actual DPS is just a little smaller than melee attack but much more that tooltip shows due to penetration, constant shocking and my own feeling.

Gear

The gear cost is about 5 Exalted. There is missing 1 jewel with +2 mana on hit which is a must have item when I run 3 auras and have a 6-link. The only thing I would like to change is Atziri's Step with +1 Frenzy charge (about 2ex worth). With it and some more levels it's possible to reach 60k tooltip DPS, but any other changes won't do much.

BANDITS
Oak - Eramir - Kraityn
IGN: Freeeeez | /u/Freeeeez
This is in response to your question about how to survive in melee better with this item.

One of the high level characters I built in Torment for the challenge was a Hyaon's Fury Static Striker. I ran it with a shield rather than dual-wield. The defensive plan was overlapping armor and evasion with some block using Grace, Lioneye's Remorse, and the Duelist armor/evasion nodes and shield defense nodes to scale my defenses.

My tree is lost to time, but here is what I'd shoot for now if I were to do it again:
Sample Tree
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAF4FLQW1Bx4ILgkzDPIM9w5ID6sRDxGWE54UsBUgFr8Zjhm0GdcblxutHYMj9iaVLX0tgy_MMFswfDJONok6rT3iPs9AoEMxRXxHfkjuSVFMLUxgTP9NRk2ST69RR1O7VUtVhVoaXfJh4mKsZU1nvWqTbIxtbG-EdO16734zfq9_xoIehNmK8Iw2jRmNfY2_k5WVLpWHl5edqqKjo4qkkaXLqZWsl6yvrTOwq7Q4tMW1hb02vea-p7_VwL_BgsG0wfPC7MMzxILRNtN-18vZX9rB3YzgEuIs5RnpRu2D7g7vUO968NX06faj-_X_HA==

The most interesting part about this tree is that almost all the nodes work for both a caster and an attacker, so you can level with Tendrils or another lightning spell instead of attacking. You could even use Stormcloud at the beginning to great effect if you wanted to do that instead. I found it really useful to do this in a new league, as spells are much more forgiving gear-wise. Also, Hyaon's Fury is a higher level item, and it does not work great until you get it.

Here is the Gear that I was using at level 86 with most of the gems still there:
Spoiler

Now, I should note that the damage I put up with this build was not great compared to the other Static Striker I made in the left side of the tree with crit maces that league. However, this was interesting enough to try and a great first build to make in a league while I was poor.

Doomed for Life

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info