Glacial Hammer in The Awakening

Hi,
i always wanted to play a glacial hammer templar.
The reason must be involving the sound, the animation and that i prefer hitting hard over hitting often and i like the flavor of the templar.

However: I can´t really see why someone should use it.
I was hoping that the balancing changes with the new update would bring GH back "into the game", but it looks like it is still worse than most other spells.
To push GH i would alsways go for physical dmg nodes because that is what GH scales with. So even investing in the 3-4 Skills points into "fangs of Frost" to gain 50% cold dmg would still be "just" 25% physical dmg wich is much cheaper in terms of skill points.

As nearly nobody is using GH, should i give up on the idea of a GH block-Templar (thought about adapting Sovyn´s Lazy Pally guide which is very nice) or do i miss something?

Thank you for reading!

Last edited by ExileZaR on Jul 30, 2015, 5:43:41 PM
They could have made GH like Ground Slam with ice effect.. but instead we have yet another skill called Ice Crash.... I really think this game is flooded with close to redundant attack skills where they dont' bother to balance older unused skills and just let them be...
*cough* elemental hit *cough* wild strike *cough*
Prylos // RoA Marauder 89+

My godly belt collection - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/334226
Mapping Discussion - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/361880/page/1
Well u would think gh would be a good single target skill. But I think I read that ice crash first hit has a larger % base damage inc. Not sure if the 25% chance 2 freeze and culling at 30% when enemy is frozen makes up for it. I think i'll give it a try next toon with ice crash too
Last edited by Ragaroon on Jul 30, 2015, 5:55:13 PM
balance will never be perfect, at least they add new content every patch and always try to rebalance the game deeply
I don´t mind having similar skills in the game, but as you pointed out, they are not really balanced on the first glance.
I play a LV 86 Ranger following Neversink´s Guide and the clearspeed is just insane compared to anything else i have, even taking into account that she has by far the highest level and the best gear. So right now it seems that i don´t even need to try to build something with GH.

About Ice Crash: Yeah it has 150% compared to 140% GH base damage. And it has aoe. And it gets two additional pulses with 20%/40% less dmg than the first one. Yeah.. tough to beat..
So it comes down to that frozen stuff.. But: I do not want to freeze anything if i could kill it...

Do you guys know any good end-game builds with GH, i mean where serious players really use it?

Someone mentioned somehwhere that one should use a staff+crit build for GH.

I think GGG are doing very good at balancing, too. Thats why i am even more dissapointed that i can´t see the place for GH. :-)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info