☼ Massive amounts of projectiles skittering around the screen
☼ Relatively cheap
☼ Hardcore viable
☼ Crit
☼ Staff
☼ Seriously spark spiders, hundreds of them
☼ Just got a 10% buff

The required uniques for this build are:

Sire is the most expensive piece of the build and you can pick it up for a couple of exalts usually. A 4L works fine until you have currency to 6S5L it. The mandatory micro-transaction is ten dollary-doos.

The basic principle of the build is to use Sire of Shards with Spark to get 7 projectiles with 70% damage effectiveness. In order to maximise the delivery of the spiderlings, we combine the above with 100% pierce, Ancestral Bond/Spell Totem and 70% increased duration from the tree, as well as sometimes adding a Rain of Splinters for an additional two spideys when extra coverage is needed.

Spoiler

This is my staff. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

You're going to need a Sire of Shards, no way around that really. Your Spark links will always be in your weapon, regardless of having a 6L or 5L chest or a +1 Tabula or whatever. The nice thing about having your damage in your weapon is you can weapon swap at any time to completely stop damage. Even spiders already created will not deal damage, since the snap-shotting update/fix.

Spark Links
Spoiler
The following is your starting 4L:
Spark - Spell Totem - Faster Casting - Pierce
These four are absolutely mandatory links, and don't have any alternatives. Your Spark should be 20 quality, as the projectile speed is extremely good. Quality up the Faster Casting when you get the chance, it is also exceptional. If you want a gem to get to 21 start with Spark (but don't forgo the 20% quality) and after that get a 21 Pierce to bring your 99% pierce chance up to 100%.
For your fifth link you will use:
Added Chaos
The reason for this over a penetration gem or added cold/light is primarily because of our ring splitting our lightning with cold. As this is the case, a penetration gem would be half as effective as it would normally be but we still need a way to deal with elemental resistant monsters. Added Chaos fills that role perfectly adding significant chaos damage to every spider as Spark has a very good damage effectiveness - especially when you consider every monster will be getting hit at minimum twice per cast giving it 140% effectiveness, or 210% in the best case scenario of 3 hits per cast.
Finally, if you manage to get a sixth link, you have several options. They are as follows;
Increased Critical Damage > Added Lightning >= Added Cold > Empower > Increased Duration
Critical strike multiplier is generally the best thing for DPS out of the bunch, especially as you get more crit chance. Added Lightning is better than Added Cold due to the quality scaling your entire spark, otherwise they are about equal. Empower (3/4) might be good with the coming 10% damage buff to the Spark gem, but for now the added gems do more. Increased Duration is good if you do not yet have an Intuitive Leap to the second duration node on the tree, otherwise it's just okay.

Ahh this ring. I personally detest this ring and think it is far too good for how obtainable and easy it is to just slap on any lightning build. Makes your lightning spells freeze/chill and gives you decent damage and mana regen. The only thing it doesn't have is life. Use it. Hate it - but use it.

Other Links
Spoiler

1S/3L: Clarity - Enlighten - Empower
Maximize the level asap, only worth using with Enlighten(2+) and Empower(2+) if you can get a +1 gems chest/gloves/boots. Make sure you don't accidentally link Clarity with faster casting or the like, as it will increase the reservation cost. You can use fusings on 4L items to unlink them, if needed.
4L: Flame Totem - Faster Casting - Fire Penetration - Added Chaos
This is quite a bit more DPS than our 5 link Spark versus one elemental resistant target. I rarely use this any more, but it can be very good for killing bosses and high hp rares in open areas when your chaos damage isn't enough.
2L: Flame Dash - Faster Casting
Basic movement skill. Much better than Lightning Warp as we have duration nodes on the tree. Alternatively, you can use Leap Slam with Fortify and Faster Attacks, but it is not as fast.
4L: Arctic Breath/Ice Spear - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Power Charge on Critical Strike - Faster Casting
Our power charge generator. While you have low critical strike chance use Ice Spear until you feel like you can crit with Arctic Breath often enough to keep up your charges. Ground ice is nice for defence, but not worth losing charges over.
2L: Rallying Cry - Increased Duration
Lots of mana regen and increased damage. Very strong and should be kept up all the time easily with a 20~ second duration due to our total increased skill duration.
1S: Elemental Weakness
Curse of choice, quality if possible.
2S: Herald of Thunder/Ice
I don't run either 90% of the time but if you're doing an extremely easy zone and don't need the mana pool for MoM it doesn't hurt to have available.

My Tempest gear:
Spoiler

Pretty standard high life & resist rares for the most part. Try and get armour where you can, and try get mana on every slot where possible - use Catarina to craft mana on bases that cannot roll it naturally. On your amulet prioritize crit multi, mana regen, cast speed and life. On your second ring prioritize the same thing minus the crit multi, using a Diamond Ring if possible.
The belts I will discuss later in the defences section, but you're going to want both a good life/resist rare and an Immortal Flesh with good rolls.

Jewels
Jewels are crucial for this build, a lot of our projectile speed and life depend heavily on them, and by endgame we will have 6 total sockets on our tree.
Prioritize life and proj speed, and keep an eye out for cast speed and crit multi where possible. Of course jewels are so varied there is no hard and fast rule to what you should use, but those are the guidelines I use. There is no limit to how much you can spend on jewels to make your character better.
Here are some examples of good jewels for this build;

Rain of Splinters
Spoiler
Only use Rain of Splinters in areas with large open spaces. The penalty for using Rain is not so much the damage penalty on the jewel, but more the damage penalty for not using a better jewel.
When you don't need the extra projectiles to ensure every target is getting hit by every cast, don't hesitate to swap it out. As an example for the 68 maps, I used rain on only 3 of them: Desert, Dunes and Tropical.
You don't need to spend a lot to get a 30%, just get whatever you can afford.

Spoiler

To level the build I suggest going directly to Ancestral Bond and leveling as double flame-totem crit. Not only is Flame Totem absurdly powerful sub level 70~ it also benefits from most of what we're doing anyway. After Ancestral Bond the next key piece of our build is Piercing Shots, which we simply cannot play Spark without - for that reason this is your second port of call, picking up efficient life and damage nodes on the way.

Here's what I suggest doing with your first 75 points:

After that start filling in crit, life and jewel slots as desired until you think you are ready to make the switch™.

Important to note: Do not use Sire of shards with Flame Totem. It doesn't do much for your damage or even area coverage, but it will obscure the ground so much that there is no doubt in my mind you will die to something ground based like Storm Bearers and friends. Just use a nice +flat damage wand with projectile speed and a +2 fire for your totem itself and you'll thank me later.

Bandits:
Oak for that sweet sweet hp.
Alira for 5% cast speed.
Alira again for +1 power charge.

When doing the bandits (on any build really, not just this one) - just ask yourself: "Would I allocate a point with this reward on the tree if it was on my path?".
If you say yes to any of the rewards, take that reward. If not, take the skill-point. Easy. In our case 5% cast speed is better efficiency for cast speed than a point on the tree, and we'd take cast speed at that rate if we could. 40 life we'd definitely take as we can't get life on shield and one of our rings and every bit of base life matters in one-shot land. As for the power charge, I don't think 2 points for a charge on the tree is worth it until very late into the build, however if they were 1 point I would take them in a heartbeat.

80 Point Tree:
I wouldn't personally swap to Spark until at least 90 points, but if you're sick of Flame Totem and want to put that Sire to use then this is the earliest you can put the final pieces of the puzzle together.

100 Point Tree

Now you have all accessible duration, crit, high efficiency hp and damage nodes. Start allocating 5% HP nodes and 2-point jewel nodes as you see fit.
Finally, when you have a lot of points that you can free up from 5% hp or jewel nodes, buy an Intuitive Leap and use it to allocate the following 6 points.
Spoiler

Optionally, you can also take Sentinel here if you so desire.
These final 6 points give you 30% totem placement speed, 25% increased skill duration, 5% cast speed and 24% increased damage.
The placement speed, cast speed and duration are the primary reasons for doing this - I'd pay 6 points for that alone - the added damage is just gravy.

After doing the above with an Intuitive Leap, go back and take any 2 point jewels you unspecced.
Finally, take either 5%life nodes or power charges depending on your own preference of hardcore/softcore, gear level, map level you like to run etc.

Spoiler
The best way to scale Spark's damage is crit, and when you are already getting 90-100% increased damage from your weapon alone and pathing through the best crit in the tree out of necessity that becomes even more true. In addition due to our weapon being a staff we can take advantage of we can take advantage of the very powerful Serpent Stance passive.

My current Tempest stats:
Spoiler

This is pre-2.0.2 with Rain of Splinters socketed and no Rallying Cry or Herald.

Critical strike also allows us to easily shock and shatter enemies since we deal split lightning-cold damage with wide damage ranges and hit very often.

Spark's interaction with the shot-gunning changes is not very intuitive so I will explain here as best I can.

First, all spiders created by the same cast of spark (7/9 spiderlings in our case) share a memory of what monsters they have hit. If any one of those spiders hits a monster, none of those spiders can hit that monster again. However! if any one of those spiders bounce off a wall or object, that memory is completely cleared of all monsters not hit in the last 1 second.

What does this mean for us? Well since we have so many spiders out all the time that move very quickly, we can assume for the most part as long as we have a totem up and casting, it is hitting all monsters in range once a second for full damage with each wave of its sparks until they expire.
As our spiders last 2.55 seconds, this effectively means we deal whatever the tool-tip damage is for a spider 3 times per cast to each monster (once at roughly 0 seconds, once at roughly 1 second, once at roughly 2 seconds).
Since we cast every more than once a second and have two totems not one, our best-case area damage can be obtained with the following formula
To summarise, your best-case damage per second in an area can be obtained by the following formula:

1/castTime * numberOfTotems * (spiderDurationRoundedDown + 1) * averageDamageSpiderDamage

In my case this works out to be
1/0.4 * 2 * 3 * 900~ = 13500 DPS.

Not bad, but we haven't factored critical strike damage yet.
Since I personally run at about 55%~ crit chance with 380%~ crit multi that DPS is actually
(13500 * .45) + (13500 * .55 * 3.80)
34290 DPS.

Now that's not an outstanding amount of damage or anything, but keep in mind that your damage is being applied to absolutely everything, even monsters you can't see off the screen. The DPS tapers off the further the targets are from the totem - as it becomes less reliable that they are being hit every second by a spider from every cast, but the range that this happens is surprisingly far, and can be improved with projectile speed.

Spoiler

Mind Over Matter and Immortal Flesh combine to make us extremely tanky against anything that doesn't one-shot us. This in addition to the innately safe playstyle of dual totems makes us very unlikely to die without making a mistake.

My current Tempest stats:
Spoiler

May seem like an odd item to equip on any character, and to be honest I was initially sceptical too. If you consider that most peoples defensive problems in 2.0 come from high physical hits, the belt starts to become more attractive. The -50 damage from attacks makes us much stronger against machine-gun like attacks, think of it like 1/2 a pre-2.0 Arctic Armour for phys only. The high life and mana regen allow us to shrug off frequent small hits of any kind, something mind over matter usually struggles to do due to low life regen. The main downside of -5% max is partially negated by the 30% of damage to mana since elemental hits would not one shot us with our life buffer anyway, and the Immortal Flesh helps us run Mind Over Matter effectively with its mana regen (equivilent to a little over half of clarity) and huge life regen.

FAQ:
Will this work without the Spider Spark MTX?
No.
Spork?
Dead, sorry. Shotgun mechanic is a lot worse for Fork, plus it has a not-insignificant damage penalty.
Video?
74 Waste Pool w/ double desecrated ground / blasphemous tempest / twinned boss
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJHgsgsCG4 Higher quality when it finishes processing.
jsdf
Last edited by jsdf on Sep 4, 2015, 7:05:21 PM
jsdf
Last edited by jsdf on Aug 7, 2015, 8:46:23 PM
Very cool guy, excited to see more of this build and more sparks!
Almost done writing this up... hyped for the 10% damage buff coming in 2.0.2 also.
jsdf
so excited i just bought the sire before i even made my character! thanks for the awesome build man!
v1.0 done
jsdf
Trust me, the best 5th and 6th gems to link in are faster projectile and increase duration, if projectile hit one more time is 100% more damage, added chaos don't even come close to this damage boost
IGN: crazyjake, ,BadAndAngry
"
crazyjake wrote:
Trust me, the best 5th and 6th gems to link in are faster projectile and increase duration, if projectile hit one more time is 100% more damage, added chaos don't even come close to this damage boost

In some circumstances, you *might* get 100% "more" damage from Inc. Dur./Faster Proj. yes, however those cases are when a cast only hits once without it and twice with it. That's not realistic, it's more like the extra duration or proj speed will result in 1 extra hit which brings the total hits from 3 to 4 per cast, which is only 33% more damage.
In addition, without the Added Chaos you will find elemental resist packs and rares die incredibly slowly. We are already achieving enough hits per cast for the most part, and thus the Added Chaos is added at not 70% effectiveness, but 140% or 210%.
jsdf
Last edited by jsdf on Aug 20, 2015, 2:43:50 PM
"
Jfour wrote:
"
crazyjake wrote:

In some circumstances, you *might* get 100% "more" damage from Inc. Dur./Faster Proj. yes, however those cases are when a cast only hits once without it and twice with it. That's not realistic, it's more like the extra duration or proj speed will result in 1 extra hit which brings the total hits from 3 to 4 per cast, which is only 33% more damage.
In addition, without the Added Chaos you will find elemental resist packs and rares die incredibly slowly. We are already achieving enough hits per cast for the most part, and thus the Added Chaos is added at not 70% effectiveness, but 140% or 210%.

You should curse with elemental weakness high resist mob in any cases, however your math on added chaos is wrong, 1 more hit is 100% of your total damage while added chaos is far less, axample: spark no added chaos hit for 5000 damage X4 times= 20000, spark with added chaos hit for 6000 damage x3 times= 18000
IGN: crazyjake, ,BadAndAngry
You're not always able to curse high resist mobs, and curses have massively reduced effect on bosses. I'm not saying Added Chaos is more damage or that it increases damage by more than 33%, I'm just saying the apparent effectiveness is higher than you'd think.
jsdf

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info