Linking added cold damage to arc

Everyone I've run into in the game has told me adding cld damage to arc is bad because added cold sucks. But I run herald of ice, ad without added cold, I rarely see the explosions proc, even with added chance to freeze.

Does anybody else link added cold to their arc? Am I doing something really wrong lol? I took it off but i'm about to take out either spell echo or faster casting to get the explosions back.
I guess the thing you'd be doing wrong is relying on Herald of Ice's explosions with a Lightning Skill :P Arc carries itself pretty well if you go for the obvious (boring) supports of Pen + FC + Echo.

If you really want to trigger Herald of Ice, I'd say that the Three Dragons helm is much better than Added Cold, but ACD could serve (lose Shock's Damage bonus, gain Herald of Ice's explosions and mass-Freezing). Awakening also introduced a nifty new ring, Call of the Brotherhood, which Converts 50% Lightning to Cold. The downside is that you'll be dealing split Damage, which makes Pen worse, but that shouldn't be too big a deal. Gives you both Shock and Freeze, but at ~half the normal duration.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 27, 2015, 1:44:17 PM
It's not so much that I'm relying on them. But when I had it on, it seemed really powerful. Plus having 2 elements plus the explosion proc on one auto-targeting, auto-chaining skill is pretty nice.

That ring looks super badass, and definitely what I want, but on poe.trade they're all multiple exalteds, and at lvl 70 with tons of other currency, I've still never seen an exalted haha. But man do I want that ring now. Thanks!

Are there any other ways you could think of to maximize this sort of setup? I'd use the helm, but I have no fire damage in my build at the moment.
As a side note, at the moment, I'm running a 5L armor with arc-spell echo-faster cast-lightning pen-mana leech
The explosions might look cool, but you're definitely sacrificing effectiveness. If you swapped out spell echo or faster casting for added cold you would no doubt see a drop in effectiveness, even if it doesn't feel that way because you're distracted by the cool explosions. There's a reason everyone you've met in game says using added cold is bad.
You can also put added cold spell damage onto your weapon with Catarina's bench, or happen to use one that adds cold damage to spells. It reads like 'Adds x-x to xx-xx cold damage to spells'
The more More you have, the less Less matters
The explosion does 684-1024 damage on the tooltip.

I guess without thinking about it much, i've really seup a build that plays to this. Spell echo with so much cold damage, spell crit, and chance to freeze means many enemies get frozen. By the time the second cast goes off, usually something frozen 'splodes. The damage is pretty nice and can set off other frozen enemies, and does quite often. I think i'll add catarina's spell on as well as increasing herald of ice's quality and linking increased aoe and cold pen to HoI to see if I can really maximize on the explosions.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info