[2.0 HC Tempest] 8.35k+ Life 9% Regen Blood Magic Incinerate Tank

Hi everyone. I designed this build to be a character that could run the most challenging end game maps.
At level 93, I feel as if this build has achieved that goal.

The Idea

Incinerate is a really strong spell, so it does not need much in the way of damage to scale it. Thus, the pathing on the tree can focus on picking up life, regen, and defenses while grabbing whatever damage is placed efficiently along the way. The result is a very high life, regen, and just a tanky character that does solid damage.

Quest Rewards

Normal - Oak for 40 life

Cruel - Alira for the 5% cast speed.

Merciless - Oak for the endurance charge. Alternatively, you might help Kratin for the frenzy charge.

Gearing

Current Gear

Alternate Pieces

The Blood Dance Great boots for getting frenzy charges (currently so strong). Plus, those frenzy charges give additional regen. I have opted not to go with them right now in favor of getting more life on gear. Still an option worth considering though.

Skill Gems

Incinerate Gem Links

Incinerate - Echo - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Fire Pen - Life Leech (5th) - Iron Will/Faster Casting

Explanation

The essential 4L setup is Incinerate - Echo - LMP - Fire Pen. This will be fine damage-wise, but when you're hit really hard you'll have to do some potting. I ran this setup all the way though 72 maps.

Adding the 5th link of Life Leech allows you to face tank a little more, and do less pot spamming. I selected it as my 5th link because it greatly improves your survivability. Thornflesh hurts, but not nearly as bad as before LL.

My 6th link is currently Iron Will, although this is because I haven't been able to roll 3 blue and 1 green on my Astral Plate. Ideally, this would be a high quality Faster Casting (so good with Echo), but this link can be supplemented with Iron Will until then. I currently have a little under 500 str, so it's not a completely wasted link.

Other Gem Links

Chaos Golem - Minion Life - Fortify

This gives us a nice tank and good phys damage reduction (increasing the effectiveness of armor). Best choice for a golem, in my opinion.

Cast when Damage Taken (Level 1)- Enfeeble - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Artic Breath

The purpose of this setup is to provide additional defense. The GMP Artic Breath puts down chilled ground, so enemies move slower. Enfeeble helps reduce to spiky damage when you are hit with a critical strike.

Flame Dash - Faster Casting - Enduring Cry

Flame Dash is a great mobility skill. Paired with FC, you can zip around quickly.
Although FC doesn't effect Enduring Cry, it fits well within my weapon's 3L. Thus, I've listed it here.

Cast when Stunned - Molten Shell

Yes, even with 8k+ health, stuns still do happen. This setup helps provide about an additional 2k armor to further reduce damage, and the likelihood of additional stuns.

Vaal Molten Shell - Increased Duration

This is useful against bosses or large packs. It provides a bit of armor, as well as some damage.

Flame Totem - Culling Strike - Increased Item Rarity - Fire Pen

I use this setup for culling bosses. It's optional, but nice when you're soloing.

Stats Screenshots

Coming Soon!

Frequently Asked Questions

Coming Soon!

In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe
Last edited by kungfooe on Aug 1, 2015, 2:30:53 PM
Last bumped on Mar 18, 2016, 6:00:43 AM
Reserved.
In since 0.8.0
Looks fun but isn't it ludicrously expensive getting a 6l chest? I'm talking casual player-wise as in trying to mimic your build.
Also Blood Magic doesn't seem like a good combo with Incinerate w/o Elreon rings. You loose good 50% of your life-regen because of that alone. I know it's harder to get on temp leagues, though.

Also, since you went to the left of the tree: is the lack of Projectile Speed from passives noticeable?
morbo wrote:
All this Q&A shows a clear "difficulty through obscurity" design, where it's not enough to read the in-game descriptions, but the player must know a plethora of counter-intuitive exceptions an under the hood quirks, that only a handful of developers truly understand -_-
Great questions! I'll respond to each below

"
kornomanus wrote:
Looks fun but isn't it ludicrously expensive getting a 6l chest? I'm talking casual player-wise as in trying to mimic your build.

A 6L isn't manditory by any means for this build. In fact, I ran on a 4L (Incinerate - Echo - LMP - Fire Pen) through low 70s maps before buying a 5L so I could add on Life Leech to increase my tankiness. I ran that 5L all the way through 78 maps before I had saved up enough for a 6L. Even so, the damage boost from the 6th link will probably only become noticable once I get the right colors for Faster Casting, and only in the 79+ maps.

"
kornomanus wrote:
Also Blood Magic doesn't seem like a good combo with Incinerate w/o Elreon rings. You loose good 50% of your life-regen because of that alone. I know it's harder to get on temp leagues, though.

True, you do have to spend part of that regen on casting. However, with such a large life pool (and Life Leech on my 5th link), it's definitely manageable. Good Elreon rings would definitely help in reducing the cost though. With strong enough Elreon gear you might even be able to run a mana version of this build. I opted for Blood Magic because a) early on in a league and it's hard to find good Elreon gear, and b) the life nodes behind Blood Magic are really good right now.

"
kornomanus wrote:
Also, since you went to the left of the tree: is the lack of Projectile Speed from passives noticeable?

Projectile speed is one thing you have to have from gems and jewels. I got a high quality Incinerate and have 8% proj speed on one of my jewels. This was probably the most difficult part in getting this build running on the Templar/Marauder side of the tree.
In since 0.8.0
Looking for some build for my first Tempest char and this looks nice. But i'm curious, isnt it worth it sacrifice some %life/armor nodes for shield ones, when you wear the shield anyway? At least these available easy - 5% at Sanctuary, 5% under Armour Mastery.
"
evilmindcz wrote:
Looking for some build for my first Tempest char and this looks nice. But i'm curious, isnt it worth it sacrifice some %life/armor nodes for shield ones, when you wear the shield anyway? At least these available easy - 5% at Sanctuary, 5% under Armour Mastery.

Great question! The reason that I didn't forgo the life nodes in place for the shield is twofold.

First, the greater our life pool, the safer we become from burst damage. Plus, the life leech gem works more efficiently because the life leech rate is based upon your total life pool. Moreover, all the regen we pick up on the tree is stronger because it is based upon the size of your life pool.

Second, the additional armor and block you pick up from the shield nodes isn't worth it because with full armor gear you can have about 10k without a granite and 25k with it up. Plus, given that this isn't a block build, the additional block chance, although nice, isn't worth the investment.

Based upon my experience, I have had about a dozen or so situations where I have been hit down to under 1k health when I am currently at 8.25k health. If I had gone for she shield nodes instead of life, I may very well have been killed. One of the best defenses that I know of in PoE, once your resistances are capped and you have a fair amount of physical mitigation (10k armor plus 4 endurance charges in the case of this character) is just having a lot of life.
In since 0.8.0
Last edited by kungfooe on Jul 30, 2015, 3:30:08 PM
I am currently leveling this build, pared with flame totem and firestorm. I didn't specced Bloodmagic yet at level 42, still waiting for a bit more life and lifereg.

but so far, it plays out very well, since im using incinerate (4l) more and more as maindamage source.

i'll post more feedback soon
"
chAzR wrote:
I am currently leveling this build, pared with flame totem and firestorm. I didn't specced Bloodmagic yet at level 42, still waiting for a bit more life and lifereg.

but so far, it plays out very well, since im using incinerate (4l) more and more as maindamage source.

i'll post more feedback soon

Thanks for the feedback. I leveled with Flame Totem as well, but didn't try Firestorm. I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience leveling with that skill.
In since 0.8.0
Map video added!
In since 0.8.0
I hoped you would show on the video, but you keep me wondering, how much tooltip dps does your incinerate actually have?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info