The BoRauder [2.0] [Tempest/HC] (Lioneye's Fall/Vision/Crit)

Summary

It's a BowRauder! The Awakening introduced a bunch of stuff to make an armor/strength based traditional bow-skill user viable. I'm playing one and this is information about the build.

Pros

+Not Evasion
+Easy to play
+Fat guy with bow

Cons

-Expensive / gear dependent
-You won't out DPS late game Rangers tbh
-Earliest level to start this build is 62

Pretty much essential gear

Lioneye's Fall Viridian Jewel
Medium radius jewel that converts melee nodes to bow. Pretty much any BoRauder is putting them in jewel slots A) West of marauder to get the staff nodes and Bone Breaker mace branch & B) South of Duelist. There are a few directions to go there.

Lioneye's Vision Crusader Plate
This entire build is based around how stupid this thing is to color. The best you can do is roll "at least 3 Green Sockets" with Vorici for 285 chrome. My armour is the most likely result for a 5 socket and that's what the gem links discussed will be using as their base. If you roll 4G1R or get a blue in there you can get more creative.

This was also Vorici 5 socketed for 150 fusings. There is a reason for this. It made the coloring feasible (no dingleberry green socket on a 5L 6-socket) and manually 5-linking a 5-socket item is stupid.

Anyhow, it's a pretty cool chest that rolls up to 100 life and 150% armor. The leech is nice if you're using mana and dealing deeps. Most importantly you get the FREE Pierce support. Unfortunately that pierce is only level 15 (64% chance, no quality possible), so using the green jewel that is available as a Crypt reward from Cruel that gives another 15% chance to pierce is a really good idea. You're going to have to live with 79% pierce chance.

If you're a baller and have this chest 6-linked I would roll until I had 4 green sockets. So many of the best supports are green.

Astramantis
You need 212 Dex for a bow and you're using Iron Grip's Str bonus. BiS and the build isn't going to work without it.

Plan to spend at least 5ex total gearing.

More gear

Bows

If you have some super sweet sub lvl 62 bow (NOT a Death's Harp) to be used, go ahead and use that. An extremely cheap and highly recommended first bow is Chin Sol. You're a tank and get a lot of use from the 100% MORE dmg modifier from close range, the knockback is nice (you're not getting King of the Hill) and the crit rate isn't garbage.

I used the Chin Sol for a few levels and switched to an equally cheap Lioneye's Glare at 66. It has over 300 DPS, attack speed and the "Hits can't be Evaded" mod which is so so good. Unless you have a lot of accuracy on gear and want to spend skill points getting sub optimal Marauder or Tempest acc nodes, you will make use of this mod. Never missing helps the crit rate, but it still sucks and upgrading to/crafting a better bow is an option you should explore.

Quivers

Drillneck is BiS even with sub 100% pierce for damage. Some people cornered the market on them in Tempest and inflated the price from 4 to 10 ex overnight, but there are always more dropping, so go get one (and sell it to me for a reasonable price).

I've been using this:

which is actually a rare drop but has been priced around 10-20c since no one knows what to do with it. The armor is good (for a quiver) and the block/spell block is good (for a quiver ... ). It's a good option for a BoRauder because you're scaling armour and you can take the Whirling Barrier node for 6% additional block chance. This node also grants a 10% chance to get a power charge on block, but that doesn't proc enough to matter. More on that is covered in the gripes section.

A rare quiver with life/resists/crit/more crit is a fine option as well.

Spoiler

You're going to need more dex. with 2 +30 nodes from the tree you will still need more on gear. I had to find a ring that was +45 Dexterity or something.

Ideally you want to fit in a pair of Maligaro's gloves or a Rat Nest in there and use the other slots for resists. This also requires some really high resist rings (your amulet slot is already full, remember?). I decided to start out wearing these:

I was dismayed when the chaos damage was changed for 2.0 to only apply to attacks (these used to be great for IW casters) and the % to strength (rolls up to 18%) is a natural fit. The movespeed is fine and it's nice to have some Chaos res since I'm not getting any on the tree but it made getting max resists without Diamond Skin a pain in the ass. I did it and the damage increase is good but not life altering or anything. I'd rather have rare boots and crit somewhere else.

THE BUILD

Level as a normal boring Marauder. I used PotCG with Sweep and experienced no problems, respeccing out of the 2H marauder weapon branch into the crit staff nodes.

Skill tree @ 66:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEAxthYYz38jM_2SF8_FCAaPu8O8i98uCku8axXDZZskc677fjrFHHqGPPd2XwOPFHmdqz3Mmhlggc6UndTz36SfXKpMn68nzs7rY3cI6yqxPaJ2BiRnsWYb1nzxq599WhY5c-fPho47UQ8LdeWLdKQVbyag8yDXycvQXK3Psln_gqTB9i98kW5Qzrhp6WmVzGe_EsUTQHnNuiHKRpVYSGE79rBdO0FLQ==

With just those damage nodes (9) and Iron Grip you can star mapping easily. You should have well over 3k life and 6k armour plus 6 endurance charges.

Right, bandits: Oak, Kraityn (getting attack speed on the tree isn't easy + CRIT), Oak.

There is no mana on this tree. We're using Blood Magic gems for skills and going 100% reserved. This is the correct choice at this time.

Skills:
You can viably use Tornado Shot, Ice Shot or Lightning Arrow. Don't bother with SA until you're geared up. Remembering we have a 3G2R + Pierce 5L chest, here's some thoughts on each:

Tornado Shot > GMP > PPAD > Added Fire > BM

If you've played any TS ranger you know TS is awesome and OP and kinda dull after a while. It's strong enough that you don't need a separate single target set up, it utilizes leech better (100% phys) than the other skills and most importantly it shoots everywhere and crits more reliably. Take a moment to look at the build-defining Smashing Strikes node in the staff wheel:

10% chance to gain an Endurance Charge on Melee Critical Strike

Life + armour + end charges are the meta and this is how to get a crit bow user in on it. TShot is the choice if you can't maintain endurance charges with the other skills.

Ice Shot > GMP > Hypothermia > WED > BM

Tested PPAD, Cold Pen, FA, idk but Hypothermia seemed the best by a good bit. IS makes chilled ground on hit and your CWDT/AA can lay down chill as well. This was all initially built around using Ice Shot and it's inherent defensiveness. I tried the Templar AoE cluster but didn't notice enough to divert the tree. Ice Shot used to have an interesting/strong interaction with Pierce that was removed during 1.3 (please correct me if I'm wrong here). The damage is there with IS but I'm currently having a hard time maintaining charges. Hopefully this is less of an issue when I'm not underleveled vs maps.

Lightning Arrow > GMP > Chain > WED > BM

I don't really know much about LA but I tried it and things died and chain is a liability to your deeps. If I were attached to the skill I'd find a way to double curse and use HoT as the last aura.

Auras:
Hatred > HoA > AA (more chill, not dying (you do stand still to shoot)) or HoI/IS (kinda meh + no crit/charge from killing) or HoT with double curse (with ring or boots). AA seems the best option if you want to just stand there and kill stuff, which is what this build does best.

Blood Magic:
Quickly wanted to say that using the Blood Magic gem on your main skill is a really really good idea for many many reasons not the least of which is that you have a 3G2R and there aren't many good red support gems for bow users.

It does make using a single target 4L more difficult though. I do without and would gem swap from the main set up if I felt it was necessary for a boss. Other setups also reduce the need it by keeping you safe and slowing everything down.

Here are the other links I'm using now (CWDT does not need mana to trigger skills):

CWDT > Arctic Breath > GMP > Temp Chains

Pretty standard, synergizes with Hypothermia if using IS. I'm using this at CWDT lvl 1

CWDT > Molten Shell > Iron Will > Ice Golem

This is being leveled as I go up. Molten Shell + IW is strong (IW is support and can be higher lvl than CWDT). I don't care for golems much, but this keeps one around most of the time. If you want one to start, just remove the CWDT gem and manually cast with an aura off. if you REALLY care swap IW for fortify, but nah.

Blink Arrow > Vaal Summon Skellies > Inc Duration > BM

These things all work together well. Using blink arrow liberally is good form and this leaves a decoy for ~5 seconds. Skellies should have their soul cost increased, but in the meantime just drop them around anything you don't want to deal with for the moment or a boss/rare you want to plink for a long time.

Skill tree for 90:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEAxthYYz38jM_2SF8_FCAaPu8OfLgpLvGsVw2WbJHOu-346xRx6hjz3dl8DjxR5nas9zJoZYIHOlJ3U89-kn1yqfJBMn68nzs7rY3cIz0-rKpVqYnY_EsYkZ7FmG_lz1nzl7RoWBRNlIefPho47URqAdeWAect0pBVvJo26Bv6Jy9BcocpGlUl38lnYSG2LJMHhO-uUKQZuUOi6qkn2sF7dKelEuF4ei5TdO1lp6mU028FLYdqhNlHfr02ZU2-p3XL6mLE9sauPC2DzLc-_gryRTrhplcxnti9g1999Q==

This incorporates the 2nd Lionseye jewel slot near duelist. Wrecking ball is an option, but there isn't anything special there. Splitting Strikes is effective and convenient. The attack speed from Art of the Gladiator is great and the +20 from Dex may allow repathing to the scion wheel past Berserking for more AS. This tree has 170% life, 288% armour, all of the phys reduction and nearly 4.9-6.3%(with all charges up) regen. Picking up accuracy may be a necessity with a different bow/gear. Regardless, you will hit hard and be hard to kill.

Fun Fact: the Leo mod that reduces DoT that can be used to run RF without RotP can also be put on bows, making RF a possibility. I think.

Gripes

I hope you play the crap out of this build, not just because it's awesome, but so that it may bring attention to these things that bother me:

That single node is only 49% in the ring from the jewel so it doesn't count as bow damage and you have to pass through it to get to the bow eligible damage nodes. Considering the jewel had it's radius reduced from large to medium at the end of beta this was probably an oversight. Please move the wheel a few pixels up.

Pretty cool. You need some chance to block for the "additional" to have effect so Rearguard quiver is the only item that can make use of these. It has a max block chance stat of 24% (15% spell block). This is an underused item that is extremely (think Drillneck drop rate) rare. This build utilizes more of this unique than anything else ever has before....

The modifier changed to bow on the staff nodes, but due to the wording on the jewel "Melee and Melee Weapon Type modifiers" and the wording on all of these block nodes (Shield isn't on the same line with "melee" and is not itself melee or a melee weapon type modifier) getting the additional chance to block is impossible. I hope this is not working as intended and was just an oversight. Options like this are what create reasonable build diversity and FUN. I do not think any jewel slot or any block node not contained within the jewel's radius should grant anything, just that this function as a player would desire.

And then move that block wheel on the bottom up a few pixels, it's killing me.

Level 66 Gameplay Video
Videos contain possible triggers:
-recorded with a potato
-wisdom scrolls picked up
-white maps
-no boss
-suboptimal play
-CWDT lag explosions

Ice Shot (w/HoI)
Tornado Shot

The End
I'll add anything I experience that merits posting as I go through maps. So far this has gone much better than expected. I'll answer any questions below and/or add a FAQ.
This guide is dedicated to the memory of video game Bo Jackson

Last edited by sleevelessless on Jul 27, 2015, 1:17:26 AM
I'd watch the video if you decide to upload it.
Uploaded. Sorry they look like garbage, I'll do better next time.

Messed around with an 8.65% crit bow and charges were up and steady from the start. Accuracy was around 80 percent, which is obviously problematic. Maligaro's with the Lioneye's Glare is next to test.
Your build looks good, looks like Lioneye's Glare is the way to go, IMO. I'm trying something similar, but I grabbed the bow crit nodes from the ranger/duelist area as well.
Here's the build I'd like to have once I get to 90:
http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEBAF4B5wUtCC4NjQ48EuEUIBRNFHEYkRmOGjgaPhpVIXYj9icvLdIuUzB8MfoyfjboOdQ6Uj38QXJDMUd-Si5M_02STipQR1hjWfNaGluvXz9hIWVNaFhoZWoeajtyqXTtdct2rHb3eu99dX8rggeE74bOidiMz419jX6QVZHOkn2TB5hvm42fPqCfouqjiqelrKqtjbe2uUO77byavJ-9Nr6nwTPDM8RYxtjJZ89-0iHTb9N-1YvXltl82sHcI-XP6hjtRO2D7g7vDu968i_yQfPd9kj3Mvjr_Ev8xf66
Basically the major difference between the dex version of a bow user is the lack of attack speed from the tree, so I think it's important to have extra jewels with a lot of attack speed on it ( can get 10%+ per jewel with the right mods ). Accuracy is also a problem like you mentionned

I'm gonna check and see if it's possible to efficiently take the staff wheel at the top, that way you can outcrit the regular dex bow user.
Cool build mate! I'm trying something similar on my warbands marauder except i don't intend on using the lioneye's fall jewel to go crit though i do like the use of astramentis with iron grip.

Here's the tree i plan on using:

"
FatalisRex wrote:
Cool build mate! I'm trying something similar on my warbands marauder except i don't intend on using the lioneye's fall jewel to go crit though i do like the use of astramentis with iron grip.

Here's the tree i plan on using:

You won't get much out of Iron Grip without strength on the tree. No RT, accuracy and/or crit will be an issue.
I ran some tests on the passive skill tree for a bow Marauder with Lioneye's Fall and I think that if you want to go crit on such a build, assuming a high crit bow (with Lioneye's Glare it will be a struggle to get decent crit), you should at least stretch a few points and grab the 3 nodes at the right of Duelist that grant 100% crit chance with bows (as well as 20% dmg and knockback on crit) and even maybe take a different pathing through the tree to get the accuracy/crit nodes between Marauder and Duelist.

However, I compared numbers between Marauder and classic Ranger on armour builds (so IR mandatory for Ranger side of the tree) and the Ranger builds are more optimized.
The crit bow builds with Lioneye's Fall still do very well and if you want something original, by all means go for it but they're not optimal.

My opinion is, going for a bow build on the left side of the tree with Lioneye's Fall is only optimal if you plan on going RT, allowing to stack tremendous amounts of defense for a ranged character.

Though, if you wanna go full offense mode, you can get more crit with 3 Lioneye's Fall and all the staff nodes + the 100% crit bow wheel on this side of the tree, so maybe full glasscannon mode is surprisingly better with Lioneye's Fall, but by definition defenses will be lacking.
(Edit : Actually with a lvl 90+ character you can get very high offensive stats, like crit, and surprisingly good defenses using Lioneye's Fall because the Marauder area gives so much life and armour ! But still, crit is a high lvl option for Lioneye's Fall imo)

Also, Rain of Arrows goes very well with Iron Grip and such builds, because you get a lot of %increased damage from the tree and Rain of Arrows has a very high base damage.
Last edited by Vadler on Aug 23, 2015, 3:41:43 PM
I have a noob question: why you pick the nodes for Increase Damage for Staves and Maces? I see this in other builds of Bow Marauders too and i don't understand.
Last edited by Mateus75 on Aug 26, 2015, 9:20:58 AM
He's using this jewel :
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Lioneye's_Fall
It converts all these nodes for other weapons into bow nodes, thus making it possible to get some good damage for a bow build on this side of the tree (there are no bow nodes on the left of the tree !)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info