[2.0] An Electric Fisting - Doryani's Fist CoMK

Disclaimer: This build requires specific and somewhat expensive items. I also use past-league items and sometimes a legacy item. You can likely be successful with this build without some items I use, but some are necessary. More on items later. Also, tooltip DPS is low but doesn't reflect actual DPS and clear speed since the build is based on Cast on Melee Kill.

To quote my non-gamer wife on seeing me play this game with this build: "This game looks easy, you just spin at stuff and it dies."

Summary

When I saw the unique item release of Doryani's Fist, I had wanted to make a build with it. This build does well with mapping, but single target is not great if there are no trash mobs near by. I do not believe that this build could do Atziri due to her not having any trash mobs nearby and because of low single target DPS. It can clear maps quickly and doesn't die often, and it's pretty fun (and at this point, different than standard builds). I use cyclone to start the killing and then let Cast on Melee Kill take over with Discharge and Arc.

My current skill tree

Level 84:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUAAdwEswUtBjkM9w3NFCAWQBZvFy8aPhpsG_EcziSqJy8pLitQL8w26TrYPAU9Dz38QKBG10d-SphNRlFgVdZXDVcpWGNfP2LsZOdlTWZUZp5oZWjycYVyD3KpdO12rHfjeTl5aHrvfLh8u3zZfsd-4oCkgpuE2YTvhXuFfYuMjM-QVZRclG-drqIAqW6playvrY2vp7FCvTa-p8BmwL_BBMGCxPbMZs9-2WHaweFz42rli-oY7DjtIO8O73zwH_Gs8i_zBvMR85v2SPcy-d360vuq_lQ=?accountName=johnssec&characterName=Banggurang

As you can see, I focused on life
Skill Gems and Links
6L Chest: Cyclone - Cast on Melee Kill - Discharge - Arc - Lightning Penetration - Life Leech

This is where the damage comes from. Start killing with Cyclone and see the chain reaction of explosions. I've also tried using Shock Nova instead of Arc and it was fine, I just personally like Arc better in that slot.

Gloves: CWDT - Enduring Cry - Increased Duration - Immortal Call
Helps a little I guess, probably not necessary and could use a golem here intead.

Boots: Curse on hit - Herald of Thunder - Warlord's Mark - Conductivity

Warlord's Mark is necessary for the leech and the endurance charges for the discharge explosions. Conductivity is self explanatory.

Shield: CWDT - Shock Nova - Added Lightning

More damage, on occasion.

Helm: Wrath - Tempest Shield (the other two are optional and what I use) - Portal - Enlighten

Could also put a golem in here, haven't tried yet.

Items

I use Scold's Bridle, a past league item worth around 15-20ex. This item isn't required for the build and the spell damage is fine without it.

Romira's Banquet is required for the build for the Power Charge generation. It's around 2ex on standard. For the other ring and the amulet, you'll need resists, life, and a lot of stats so you will have enough intel and dexterity for spells and cyclone.

Shields: I use either Rathpith or an Aegis Aurora. My Aegis is legacy but it's not required. Either will work fine. I consider Rathpith to be a little more offensive and Aegis to be more defensive.

I use Windscreams for the two curses. If I had another way to easily get two curses I would use another set of boots, maybe Rainbowstrides or a rare. Two curses is mandatory for the build as I play it.

Belt, just life and res as needed.

Chest: I'm not sure if a 6 link is required, but I just use a random 6 link I had. I haven't tried on a five link, but if I did I would just remove arc from the links.

The star of the show.

Flasks
I use two health, one mana, and two quicksilvers. Could sub an Atziri flask for a quicksilver but when I was using one it didn't seem to help much and I like 2 quicksilvers for faster clear speed.

Playstyle

The first kills are the roughest because there is no mana leech until Herald of Thunder is activated and cursing. I use a mana flask for the first group and normally don't need it unless I run into a rare with curse immune, elemental resist/lightning resist, or abnormally high life. Once you kill one thing with cyclone, discharges start blowing up and it's a chain reaction that kills everything on screen pretty much.

Videos

I apologize for poor quality of the video, I've never done this before.

77 Shrine - https://youtu.be/ihZrot3xbBE
75 Dry Peninsula - https://youtu.be/5C8K8iBuBp0

Other things I've tried
I also tried to make a low life version of this with a Shadow with spell crit. It can kill, but it dies too easily even using a 6L Shavs. I can't figure out a way to sufficiently decrease the amount of Physical damage taken on low life builds right now, I think they were nerfed into oblivion. I don't think spell crit is worth it with this build, so I could try moving those nodes to get more Energy Shield, but I don't think it'll help, I was getting one shotted far too easily with what I would consider to be decently high ES.

Single Targets
Map bosses die fairly easily because there are always other mobs around them that discharge can feed off of, but occasionally when it's just one target and that target has high light resist or high life, or both, you'll need to pop a mana flask.

Things I'm open to
1) Improving single target DPS. I think using melee would be most effective for single target, but my testing has been limited. I'm thinking maybe Infernal Blow - Life Leech - Faster Attacks - Added Lightning - Lightning Pen - (something blue socket) or cyclone - added lightning - concentrated effect - lightning pen - life leech - blood magic or empower or something red.

2) Anything that could improve my pathing on the skill tree.

3) Constructive feedback that I can use to improve performance.

That's the end, good luck out there Exiles. Feel free to ask questions or comment!
Heya! Seems like we're doing similar builds -- maybe we can help each other!

Like you, I'm also running with Romira's Banquet. Our links are very similar, but instead of using arc I'm using Blood Magic for the main links since I run Herald of Thunder, Wrath, and Discipline (using 100% of my mana).

The main difference is that I'm running with a Crown of Eyes:

That way I'm scaling both damage sources (cyclone and discharge). Oh, and I'm also using hybrid health/ES for defenses.

My current (level 73) tree is here: Link!

For single-target, I'm using Discharge - Conc Effect - Lightning Pen - BM.
Last edited by Exuroo on Jul 25, 2015, 1:11:21 AM
I was interested in seeing the boss fight on that Shrine, too bad you cut the video before. Although that kinda answers what I was wondering (along with the terribly slow Peninsula boss kill)

I'm also working on a CoMK Fist build, just got started with it so I don't have much valuable feedback as of yet. I'm going for a "budget" version (Warbands, mediocre gear, 5L tops) so no Scold's or CoE. I'm also not using Romira's or Discharge (personal distaste factors in along with cost, probably just due to playing too much CoC discharge in the past) at the moment ; Shock Nova (+Arc) does fine up to this point, remains to see in higher content how that holds up. Using life/ES hybrid defenses, end charges, and considering running AA. Still thinking on how to fit in Fortify (maybe on shield charge lel). I'm planning on a separate Cyclone-pen-conc-FA 4L for single target.

Will report back in a dozen levels or so. Maybe do my own thread if deserving and different enough.

I'm proud I made the build that got hotfix nerfed by 80% in under a week :
Kamikaze Clones /1204796 (LL Mirror Arrow Instability Prolif)
Last edited by PepprmintButler on Aug 3, 2015, 4:42:25 AM
So I got to 80 on that char and it's going pretty smoothly. I still haven't ran any serious maps yet (just up to 72s while I get stuff sorted out and build a map base) but for the content I'm doing it's solid.

- About the CoMK setup :
running Shock Nova + Arc (5L). It's great at pack clearing, I don't see myself needing to switch to Romira's Discharge any time soon. The hard part, as with any CoMK build, is getting the ball rolling initially, for which I'm trying a few things (see below). Tooltip DPS on cylone is 5k in hideout, 6k with 3 frenzy charges (frenzy op...)

- About single target :
I've tried quite a few 4Ls to do bosses and isolated rares with.

A : Cyclone - pen - conc - FA
what I'm currently using. DPS is a bit above double what the CoMK cyclone pulls so that's nice. Mana consumption is a bit of a challenge but warlord's covers most of it and I have a mana flask for when that's not enough. Real problem is that the AoE gets ridiculously tiny. I do not have master of the arena (nowhere near that part of the tree) and it shows. Unless I stay right on top of the target (rip mana) I'll be spinning at nothing way too often. Actual DPS is then a fair bit lower than it should. Works great on large hitbox bosses though.

B : Ice Crash - pen - conc - FA
Another decent option, theoretical DPS is a bit lower but it's more consistent and easier to sustain. OTOH it's more dangerous as you get locked into place for significant amounts of time.

C : Ball Lightning - pen - echo - slower proj
With all the generic ele/light scaling and the flat damage on the gloves, this should technically give decent DPS. I found it pretty underwhelming though. Cast speed is shit, and damage output doesn't feel much better than just cycloning at stuff. It's a lot safer though, so a nice thing to have maybe. Tendrils would be another option (with conc) but that seems really dangerous

D : Frenzy - pen - FA - multistrike
Damage about on par with Ice Crash with the added benefit of frenzy charge generation. Problem is I don't have the dex to level the gem properly, and I unfortunately don't have access to more than the basic 3 f charges. On a character that cna take more of those this seems like a great option. I'll be looking into this some more

- About movement/engaging/fortify/frenzy charges utility :
I've been running Shield Charge - Fortify - Faster Attacks (-innervate) and it's pretty great as an opener... If you manage to aim it properly, which takes practice. Fortunately for me I have no less than three different shield charge builds' worth of training under my belt. With the changes in 2.0 it's a lot more usable, as the "recovery period" after charging is dramatically shorter and scaling with attack speed. What it does is quickly get you to a pack, take off 60-80% of one mob's health, and give you Fortify (which is huge). Then you can chain with a Cyclone that should almost immediately kill the target you charged at and start the juicy chain reaction CoMK is all about. Using this has drastically improved the performance of the build for me, it's tricky to use to it's fullest but really great in a lot of situations. Note that if you actually one shot a mob rather than priming it for a cyclone kill, you're still not worse off than you would be without charging, and still get the benefit of Fortify and also Onslaught if you linked Innervate (Onslaught has a huge impact).
I'm also toying with putting Frenzy in that link to generate f charges, as even just 3 gives me also 20% more damage (I have very low IAS). charge - fortify - frenzy - FA/innervate ; there's a hard choice to make there unfortunately.
Shield Charge - fortify - FA - Chaos Golem is also a decent option if already frenzying elsewhere.
FYI and in the continuation of my previous comments (sorry for thread highjacking, I'll stop here) :

I just published my own Doryani's Fist CoMK build guide, which takes a quite different approach
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1386516/page/1/#p11356764

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info