Guide on how to roll maps in 2.0

Hello everyone. I've seen that many people have problems sustaining their maps in 2.0 so I'm gonna make a quick guide on what I think is a decent way to sustain and progress in maps. I've gotten up to multiple 80+'s so I definitely know what I'm doing.

There are 3 tiers of maps as described by GGG in the patch notes:

Low tier - 68-73
Mid tier - 74-78
High tier - 79-82

Now on how to progress:

68-70
These will be the first maps you'll get. Since they're easy to find and replace, you should just spend transmutes and alterations on these. Aim for either a double roll with 30 quantity or more, or a double roll with packsize. If you want to progress out of these maps faster, you can use alchs. Doesn't matter how much quantity you roll if you use those.

71-73
The high end of the low tier maps. You'll end up here pretty quick probably. I'd recommend to alch these. Quantity still doesn't matter so much at this point. Just get rolls you can run.

74-76
You've now reached the mid tier maps. These are harder to mantain. If you want to play it safe, start using your chisels before you alch. If you use chisels, aim for 90+ quantity or 75+ quantity with a packsize roll. If you choose to not use chisels, aim for at least 70+ quantity or 60+ with a packsize roll.

76-78
At this point you may struggle to stay at these levels. I'd recommend to always chisel these maps and aim for 95+ quantity or 80+ quantity with packsize.

79-82
This is the high tier of maps. GGG has made clear that these are not meant to be sustained indefinitely, and as I've experienced, it's is very hard to do so. Go all out on these maps. I'd recommend to chisel + alch them to the same amount of quantity as the 76-78 maps or even higher. After you've got a good roll, you can use a Vaal orb on the map. Vaaling maps has multiple outcomes:

- Nothing happens. The map will stay exactly the same, but the map boss will have a chance to drop a vaal fragment or gem. Vaal fragments and gems have a chance to drop from every corrupted map boss.
- The map becomes unidentified. The rolls on the map will stay exactly the same but since the map is unidentifiend you get a free 30% quantity bonus. One of the best outcomes.
- The map rerolls itself. Can be either good or bad.
- The map rerolls itself, but gains 8 mods instead of the normal 6. These maps have usually very high quantity bonus (140+) but can be a lot harder since there are 8 mods, some of which you might not be able to do easily or can't run at all.
- The map increases with one level and rerolls itself. For example, a 79 Shipyard will turn into a 80 Excavation map. One of the best outcomes since it's a free level, but since the mods are rerolled it might be tough.

I've experienced that vaaling maps usually has a better outcome than not vaaling them, but this depends on the mods you can or are willing to run. For example, if your character can't handle no mana regen and a vaal orb rolls this mod, you're in for a bad time. I would just stash these maps, so another character can do it at some time. In that way, it isn't a complete waste of a map.
Also, before you put in the map you can add three vaal fragments in the empty slots to boost your quantity with 5% per fragment for a total bonus of 15% quantity. I'd recommend to do this to high tier maps too.

That's it, have fun mapping.
Great info, thanks for the tips!
I'd also recommend trading up your 68-71 maps; as you say, they drop very frequently, and you can always use the higher level maps.

Trading up maps has been very helpful in maintaining a map pool for my friends and I.
(1.2)Puncture/Ice Shot duelist - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1078942
(2.0)The Party Crasher - Hardcore viable Ice Crash Duelist - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1335704
Thanks for your guide it has been very helpful.
I'm wondering what you mean when you say "aim for X% quantity". Do you mean I should chaos orb them if they're not or just that it would be nice to get over X iir.

Also, do you know which maps are "better" than others in terms of monsters per map?
I've found with 80+ maps if I roll them so that quantity + pack size > 100 and add domination to the maps they become easy to sustain. My 80 + map pool keeps growing you just have to sell lower maps and items you find to fund your Zana mods.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
What do you think about +1 unid recipe? At least for these 1-2 from tier, that you don't like?

p.s. I never checked, making 3 maps 20q will give you unid+1 with quality or chisel and paper scrap?
Burn all the orbs!
Last edited by skuadak on Nov 26, 2015, 8:56:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info