Trade Forum Rules

"
Please do not use external currencies or barter for real world items on the pathofexile.com trade forums for now.

Let me start off by saying, I haven't been around for long, but I've tried to read everything available to me. If this is a non issue, or already discussed, I apologize.

From day one, I was concerned over how GGG would make money, given their stance on 'pay to win'.

Selling storage and trade pages, while I'm sure every person who plays for more than a week will buy, are one time sales. Vanity items may or may not sell, but I wouldn't bet a business on it, and it seems neither would GGG.

The quote above, while doing my best not to read between the lines, leads me to believe two things:

1) 'Pay to Win' will indeed be the theme for this game.
2) GGG won't be selling items that affect the game, but they will let you sell items, and I can only imagine they will take a cut of sales.

In and of itself, I have no problem here, it's my money, I ultimately decide how to spend it, but this "Ethical Micro-Transaction" seems kind of moot when all they're doing is pushing the 'blame' for 'pay to win' onto the end user.

Please correct me if I'm wrong/totally crazy, or let me know your opinion of the quote.
I added "for now" because the policy can change at any time when we've actually sat down and thought about what would be best for the trade forums. I just wanted to get the current policy in place to stop what was currently happening without having to formally sort out a set of policies forever.

We do not intend to do what you are fearing, though. We've been very clear that "pay to win" would be very negative for PoE and that it would create an unfair playing field for highly competitive aspects such as PvP or ladder races.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
It's more that, if they want to change it in future, they can. Not that they would necessarily WANT to, and I'm fairly certain they're not going to let you trade for external currency.

Also, it's a beta, so it would get wiped anyway.

e: Chris the popped-collar ninja
IRON MAN
Last edited by Dreggon on Nov 28, 2011, 6:52:40 PM
Thanks Chris, I was hoping that was the answer, feel silly for bringing it up now, but at least its been cleared up in my head :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info