Ice Bite

"
muir wrote:
As noted prior, the biggest issue is that you do not get a frenzy charge ever if the monster is one shot frozen+killed. It's extremely rare that you would freeze and not kill, then hit again, and kill with the SAME SKILL linked to Ice bite.

So I just played around with this support gem for a while, and this doesn't seem to be true. If you one-shot a mob with a skill that freezes (thus, shattering it on your first hit) and have this support linked, you get your roll for frenzy charges. If you clear a small pack of plain enemies with one spell cast, you have a chance of gaining your maximum frenzy charges, which is pretty neat.

I'm trying to figure out if I can use this on my current caster build (which is focused very heavily on freezing & chilling mobs) but I'm having a tough time reconciling the way that this support needs to be applied to the killing blow, while not actually providing a damage boost itself.
Last edited by Softspoken on Jul 2, 2016, 4:20:08 PM
It does provide a Damage boost, by virtue of granting Frenzy Charges :p That's 4% More Damage a piece. If you have five Frenzy Charges, Ice Bite offers 20% Cast Speed and 20% More Damage, which is pretty nice for a Support. Plus, it also carries over to other Skills (faster Warping or Whirling, for example).

It doesn't grant a Damage boost if you can get your Frenzy Charges otherwise, though, and with three Charges it's not that great I'd say..
With Fall of Oriath and the changed Ice Bite support I experience micro game freezes that disappear when i replace the support gem. I used it linked with Storm Burst. Anyone else experiencing the same behavior?
I have it linked to glacial cascade and remote mine, but I haven't been able to gain any frenzy charges, was I just unlucky in the two maps I completed or is this not giving the charges with remote mines ?

The gem reads : "supported skills have x% chance to gain", not "you have x% chance to gain" which I thought meant the player was getting the frenzy charge, not the mine.
The 3.0 buffs to Ice Bite was a great addition.

However the gem needs around 6 frenzy charges before it starts edging out a plain "Added Cold Damage" gem, for the same mana multiplier, without gaining more damage with 20 quality.

Maybe lowering the mana multiplier to 115% or 120% would be more in line.
"
goldomusclor wrote:
I have it linked to glacial cascade and remote mine, but I haven't been able to gain any frenzy charges, was I just unlucky in the two maps I completed or is this not giving the charges with remote mines ?

Mine gets the kill -> Mine gets the on-Kill bonuses. Working as intended.
The gem needs something like "10~20% to gain a frenzy charge upon hitting a unique monster affected by chill". As it stands right now the gem is entirely worthless against many bosses and has to be swapped out for those fights.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info