Vigilant Strike

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on Dec 24, 2023, 12:43:42 PM
Hi, I want to know fortify mechanics, how does buff exactly work. Wiki says it gives 20% reduced damage from hits.

For example you have 30% estimated armor reduction. I have three suggestions about this:
- it buffs percentage reduction number, result will be 36%(30% * 1.2) of total reduction;
- you gain another 20% reduction (like dodge and evade, first fortify works and then armor);
- you'll get 50% reduction (already existing 30% + 20% from buff).

So.. what's the right one?

Thank you for your time!
Last edited by MockinMan on Jul 12, 2015, 10:58:00 PM
"
MockinMan wrote:
Hi, I want to know fortify mechanics, how does buff exactly work. Wiki says it gives 20% reduced damage from hits.

Your second suggestion is correct
"
- you gain another 20% reduction (like dodge and evade, first fortify works and then armor)

It is only added to Shock, Vulnerability, and unique items that say "increased damage taken".
Balance & Design
An additional note for those less familiar: Damage Taken modifiers are calculated after Armour/Resists/Endurance Charges.

And because this was asked during the Beta a couple times: Fortify specifically only applies to Damage from Hits, and thus has no effect on Damage over Time from, for example, Blood Rage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 13, 2015, 7:24:46 AM
Can Vigilant Strike not go on cooldown if you miss an enemy? To clarify I am not talking about accuracy but the actual click (maybe it is accuracy I don't have RT in the build yet). It is really weird attacking a flicker strike mob for example "missing" then not being able to Vigilant Strike again without expending an endurance charge. If it is just that I need RT forget what I said here.
I need a signature to look legit
Last edited by Hunt8722 on Jul 13, 2015, 5:00:13 PM
For just about every other attack in the entire game.

If you do not have enough resource, you do a normal attack.

Why does vigilant strike not work this way?

No endurance charge? Regular attack while the cooldown cycles.

Super annoying when you are just going about having a lovely day and you suddenly stop attacking.

I would like to make a build around this skill but without some sort of mechanic like this it just becomes annoying.
Last edited by spider0804 on Jul 15, 2015, 3:52:26 AM
Hi again, thnx for your last reply.

I have another question about fortify mechanics. Where's only one cluster in passive skill tree for this skill and it has interesting property: increased fortify effect.
It just increases 20% to 23% with full cluster? Isn't that too low? Or was that cluster created for additional damage while fortified? On other hand, 35% is very strong boost, if it adds it like that (but I guess increased means 100% (wich is 20%) will be increased for 15%).

With best regards, MockinMan.
"
Hunt8722 wrote:
Can Vigilant Strike not go on cooldown if you miss an enemy? To clarify I am not talking about accuracy but the actual click (maybe it is accuracy I don't have RT in the build yet). It is really weird attacking a flicker strike mob for example "missing" then not being able to Vigilant Strike again without expending an endurance charge. If it is just that I need RT forget what I said here.

I agree. It feels a bit clunky to use right now because it can easily whiff (especially easily when shift-attacking).

Besides this, this game needs many more abilities like this and cold snap. If you want people to press more than one button, powerful short cooldown skills are a simple, effective and fun way to do that.
"
Hunt8722 wrote:
Can Vigilant Strike not go on cooldown if you miss an enemy?

The funny thing is it goes on cooldown, but if you'll strike an enemy, it'll still give you a buff :D Dunno is that intended or bug.
"
Stormfox wrote:
"
Hunt8722 wrote:

I agree. It feels a bit clunky to use right now because it can easily whiff (especially easily when shift-attacking).

Besides this, this game needs many more abilities like this and cold snap. If you want people to press more than one button, powerful short cooldown skills are a simple, effective and fun way to do that.

I honestly can't get myself to start using it. Considering that you can simply take any other "non cooldown", OP skill, and attack with it all the time, or strike once with Vigilant Strike and have to wait (or build for Endurance Charges = investment, which is not present in other skills), the choice seems obvious. :V Not to mention that you can "hit air" with Vigilant Strike and it will still go on CD. Another thing is that if you want it to do damage, you need it linked to some stuff = gem slots taken. Slots, that could be used for something else.

TBH, War Cries work a lot better than Vigilant Strike - you do not need many links for them to work, you still need to be around many monsters, and you need to pick which one you want to use. I think that adding Support Gem for War Cries, that would give you Fortify, but would decrease (or "lessen") the area of their effect by say 50%, would make it much easier for Melee's to use this effect (which was intended to make Melee's life easier - not harder with more and more gems chugged in their setups). Or even make separate War Cry for that.
Spoiler
Fortify duration based on amount of enemies around? Could use more than one War Cry that way. Get around many enemies, use "Fortifying War Cry" and get 20+ fortify duration. Use other War Cries.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Jul 21, 2015, 2:35:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info