Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

[2.0 BETA] HeaT's CI Crit EK Build - Angry Kunai (10k ES, 35K DPS)

HeaT’s HC [BETA] CI Crit EK Build - Angry Kunai

The build aims for a high ES pool (10k+ @lvl 86) and scales damage through crit damage. Viable in both HC and SC leagues. Millions of kunai used, monsters were obliterated in the making of this guide!

The build was created in HC BETA and therefore I obviously cannot link my gear, but I put together a guide where you can view my gear and links in a google sheets document. It helps to have it handy while reading this guide.
http://tinyurl.com/qblznty

Even though this is a build created in BETA, I feel it will transition into 2.0 live largely unchanged or at most nominal changes. I will update the guide with an official skill tree from Path of Exile when 2.0 drops.

Pros and Cons
Pros

+High ES pool (10k, 14k w/Vaal Disc)
+Plays fast
+70% crit chance for a spell is not too shabby, 79% with Assassin's Mark
+CI is actually viable?
+Plays well in party and solo play
+Can transition early with decent gear (lvl70-72)

Cons

-CI is not noob friendly, strong knowledge of the game required
-Lacks persistent mitigation
-Build will probably be expensive for top end gear
-Jewels for CI are "lacking"
-Blood Rage is now extremely hard to use with ES
-If you are low on ES, you don't have pots to refill your ES, Vaal Discipline is the only option

Videos

Build Guide Video
A video build guide with commentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shQURA0gr1A

Mapping Session - Highish level for BETA
General flow/gameplay of the build and how it functions,closed beta.
Party:
http://www.twitch.tv/heatzgaming/v/6820565
Solo:
http://www.twitch.tv/heatzgaming/v/6823244

Bonus – INSANE Corruption Luck - What?!
http://www.twitch.tv/heatzgaming/v/6824692

Keystone Passive Decision Explained

Chaos Inoculation:
Garnering an insanely high ES pool will provide strong effective health.

Gear Explained

A note on gear: For the most part you want gear that has very high Energy Shield, resistances, and to a lesser extent stats that are required for the gems you are using. When you look at my gear you will notice that I prioritize these requirements quite strictly. If your gear has INT it's essentially double dipping into ES because INT also provides ES.

Keep in mind I was able to acquire 10k+ ES in BETA where strong end game items were not readily available so it can be possible reach a high level of ES pool with less than optimal items.

Link to all my gear -

A google sheets doc under with images of all the gear I used under the “Gear and Links” tab.

Notes on some gear slots:

Belts:
A Rustic Sash with ES and resistances is ideal because it offers both offensive and defensive benefits.

Chest:
This is the slot that will provide the highest possible ES roll, therefore making it very important. Attempt to acquire the highest ES on your chest.

Rings:
Because this is a crit based build, diamond rings are a strong choice because they implicitly provide crit chance and you can additionally roll crit chance through master crafting. Other stats to look for are resistances, ES, mana regeneration.

Shield:
High ES, spell crit chance, resistances, and spell damage should be priority.

Weapon:
I tend to gravitate towards Daggers when I play a crit based build because they have implicit crit chance. Spell damage, Spell Crit, Crit Multi, Cast Speed are strong mods to have on your dagger.

Boots:
Rainbowstrides were a drop and a pretty solid choice for the boot slot. An alternative would be Blood Dance because the Frenzy Charges provide an INSANE boost to DPS.

Gems and Links

Notes on Gems and Links: I experimented a lot with this build, different skills and such, therefore some of the links and set ups that I have are not optimal.

(Chest) EK* – Added Fire – Increased Crit Strikes* – Increased Crit Multi* – Spell Echo*
*Designates that you should aim to max quality these particular gems.
**You may have to switch in Power Charge on Crit if you are playing in a party with extremely fast clear speed.

(Helm) Chaos Golem – *Empower – Faster Casting – Minion Life
*You know Chaos Golem + Empower is next level ;)

(Gloves) Discipline – Vaal Discipline – Increased Duration – Hatred

(Boots) Ice Spear - Power Charge on Crit - Faster Casting - GMP
The set up is used to maintain power charges

(Shield) Enfeeble - Tempest Shield - CWDT
A defensive set up.

(Weapon) Assassin's Mark - Ice Golem - Enduring Cry
I switched between Ice Golem and Chaos Golem frequently, couldn't decide on what I preferred. Enduring cry was used sparingly in maps with heavy damage modifiers.

Flasks

Refer to my google sheet doc under the Gear and Links tab for specific flasks used.

Some notes on Flasks:
Flasks are EXTREMELY important for this CI build and I would venture to say CI builds in general. They are a effective choice for mitigation of all damage types. I also ran a Diamond Flaks which should be a staple in crit based builds. Surgeon's is still the best for crit builds and remove bleeding is standard.

I am not a big fan of cannot be frozen uniques so I opted to use Immunity to Freeze and Chill on at least one of my flaks. Using Alchemist on the tree synergizes well with this strategy and is viable as a means to avoid the Freeze problem CI generally encounters.

Skill Tree and Bandits

http://tinyurl.com/nkxrtl9

Alira - Passive - Alira
Choosing Alira on normal is preference, 60 mana is nice though, helps with mana regen if you are having issues.

The only passives that are out of the ordinary are "Practical Application" and "Nimbleness" (super underrated). CI builds tend to have problems with stun so that is why I picked up these passives. Nimbleness is extremely strong passive in particular for this build because you gain DPS and it provides utility in 2 forms.

Moving forward with the build, if I were to acquire a 6L I would use Life Leech and spec into Ghost Reaver for added survivability. Other options are:

-Master of Force and jewel socket
-Dip into ranger tree for projectile damage
-Leadership and Charism as an attempt to run an extra herald
-If you build for Frenzy Charges, picking up frenetic is another option

Jewels

I used the unique jewel "Energy from Within" (transforms life into ES @ 50% of their value), but honestly I don't think this jewel is very good. It actually rounds down the value, for example, if life is 3%, instead of adding 1.5% ES it will only give you 1%. I feel it should round up because as is I don't think it's very efficient unless your pathing is constructed in a way where a jewel socket only costs 1 skill point.

Brittle Barrier (20% Faster Start of Energy Shield Restart) is another unique jewel that is an option, but from brief testing I think we are talking about tenths of seconds here, not even a second, so I prefer jewels that increase DPS or provide other forms of defense.

If I were to rank this build on a scale of 1 to 10, I would place it at 9. I find that having such a high ES pool feels really safe and one shot proof, especially when you add the mitigation effects from your flasks. DPS is at a nice place and the build "feels" really good...fast, responsive, very focused.

If you have any questions post them here or send me a message! Thanks for checking the build out!

you can catch me on:
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by HeaT1 on Jul 17, 2015, 11:53:34 AM
Hi, im not begginer (got 3 end game builds, can solo mapping 78's, atziri killer and lvl 80 hc)

but... i never played ES/CI before!

I wanna test this build on tempest. Any kind of help apreciatted ;)

good work at guide, prob i will follow it..

Regards.
DPS and ES look solid. Well made video too. How do you deal with reflect not having leech? Just skip it?
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
"
Mofendes wrote:
Hi, im not begginer (got 3 end game builds, can solo mapping 78's, atziri killer and lvl 80 hc)

but... i never played ES/CI before!

I wanna test this build on tempest. Any kind of help apreciatted ;)

good work at guide, prob i will follow it..

Regards.

if it's your first time dont make the transition until you have at least 8,000+ ES. ES/CI builds have an adjustment period in terms of gameplay style, when you do transition, familiarize yourself with the mechanics and gameplay style by farming zones like aqueduct/dried lake until you better understand the build. test big hits from voll or other enemies and see what the recovery period is like, etc. anticipate high damage situations and preemptively use vaal discipline. slowly ease yourself into maps.

"
MatrixFactor wrote:
DPS and ES look solid. Well made video too. How do you deal with reflect not having leech? Just skip it?

thanks!

if it's on a single rare target, it's not too much of a problem if you have granite flask up (even without granite it's not bad). since your ES pool is so high you are able to handle the reflect quite well and cant really one shot yourself. also, using vaal discipline against reflect works REALLY well even against bloodlines reflect (about 4k regen/sec). i skip reflect maps.

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by HeaT1 on Jul 10, 2015, 11:01:39 AM
Hi, bulid looks very nice.
i will fallow it on one hundred percent, but on SC.
Anyway good job.
"
AngryJew wrote:
Hi, bulid looks very nice.
i will fallow it on one hundred percent, but on SC.
Anyway good job.

thanks and right on, i hope it works out well for you!

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
minor edits for live 2.0 edition. ive been getting a lot of questions about transitioning into CI. you can transition early to mid 70s as long as your gear allows you to do so, but at these lvls the tree provides enough ES passive for it to be a viable transition.

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
have you tried ghost reaver + vaal pact?
You will never be happy if
you continue to search for
what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are
looking for the meaning of life.
Last edited by feuerbach on Jul 13, 2015, 8:31:33 PM
"
feuerbach wrote:
have you tried ghost reaver + vaal pact?

I have not but life leech was planned as the 6th link so ghost reaver was definitely planned for crazy survivability.

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Bandits?
I would assume it would go Passive-Passive-Alira or Passive.
But this is like my second CI character so I'm not to sure.
I live for my e-peen

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info