[2.0] Raggapauls EasyPeasy Crit Ice Crash Scion!

Hey there,

you like to cut through mob packs with ease? Like a colourful screen? You love melee action? You dont have any drop luck (just like me)? Then go and play the cheap, viable EasyPeasy Crit Crash Scion!

Key Facts:
Spoiler

- 1H + Shield Ice Crash Crit Build
- Viable for beginners
- Viable for mapping (at least low and mid tier, with good equip also high end maps)
- Offensive: Abyssus, high crit, high crit multi, dual aura
- Defensive: High life, Armor, Evasion, Block, Fortify, Warlords Mark
- 4 Jewel Slots for just 4 skill points
- 46 all res, 54 fire res from tree
- Very cheap (Start mapping with <2ex gear)

The Skilltree
Spoiler

- 21 Skillpoints - smooth start
- 40 Skillpoints - Adding crit, res and life
- 63 Skillpoints - Adding more life
- 92 Skillpoints - Adding Block, life, damage and crit
- 104 Skillpoints - Finishing with even more life, crit and 4 jewel slots

Bandits:
Normal - Skillpoint (Life if you play HC)
Cruel - IAS or skillpoint
Merc - Skillpoint (Endu Charge if you play HC or if you are a coward)

This is just an example of how to level this build. If you find nice jewels (+% life, crit/critmulti, 1h damage, melee damage, area damage), you can always use a skillpoint to get a jewel slot much earlier.
I used to take the block/shield nodes very late because I just didnt need them before. Usually you should start mapping at around lv 70, this is when you should add the block nodes. The Abyssus adds a lot of incoming damage, so the block and evasion helps a lot.

The Gems
Spoiler

Chest: Ice Crash - Melee Phys - Weapon Elemental Damage - Increased AoE - Blood Magic (- Add Fire Damage)
Standard AoE Setup. On bosses you can switch to Reduced AoE/Increased AoE damage for a massive damage boost

4-Link: Leap Slam - Fortify - Curse on Hit - Warlords Mark
Your movement skill. Thanks to high crit/multi, I very often kill mob packs on maps just with a single Leap. If you dont kill them, you apply Warlords mark and gain endurance charges.

4-Link: Vengeance - Riposte - Stun - Endu Charge on Melee Stun
Should give a lot of Endu Charges and adds additional damage. When they crit, they can kill whole mob packs.

3-Link: CwDT (lv8) - Tempest Shield (lv12) - Molten Shell (lv14)
Helps a lot with survivability. Tempest Shield is up all the time on maps and gives additional 3% block chance. Molten Shell gives ~1000 armor and prevents ~600 damage.

Other gems: Hatred + Herald of Ash + Ice Golem
You can adjust as you like. Some people might want to add CwDT to a 4link and apply temp chain. Others want to use CwDT + Temp shield + Molten Shell with increased Duration. Its up to you. The build is flexibel enough :)

The Gear
Spoiler

Weapon: Since Ice Crash only works with axes, maces and swords (+ unarmed and staves) you have to take one of those three. Here is what I use, bought it for 25c.

I prefer swords and maces over axes, since they add nice implicit bonus. Especially the 20% crit multi from some swords, 18% increased accu and 20% increased elemental damage give a nice boost.
You should look for high phys dps and base crit. Fast weapons are nice, but not necessary. Since stun/freeze depend on huge hits, slower weapons are somehow better.

Chest: Any 5l Armor Chest will do it. High life and armor rolls are necessary. Add all the resistances you need. I alched a chest with 1100 armor, 70 life and 2x 35%+ res.

Helm: Easy slot: You need an Abyssus! This is the only must-have item on this build. The flat phys and crit multi are godly! It also has a high armor roll (~700). The lower the increased phys damage taken, the better. I use an Abyssus with 141% crit multi and 48% inc damage taken. You should aim for >140 and <45.

Shield: Since we have 140% increased defenses from shields, you will need a good shield with high evasion or (even better) high evasion and armor. Ise use this, bought it for 2c:

Since you can easily stack resistances due to the ~50% added from tree, you should always look for the highest evasion/armor, block and life rolls on shields. They should be very cheap if they dont have good res mods.

Boots: You would like to have high life, armor and movement speed rolls. Add resistances if you need them.

Gloves: High life and armor, res if you need it. Nice mods are accuracy, flat phys and IAS.

Belt: Rustic Sash with 20%+ phys implicit, high life, armor, res and if possible also weapon elemental damage. Life flask mods also help a lot.

Rings&Amulet:
High life, res if needed. Crit/crit multi, flat phys. Your typical crit melee jewelry.

Flasks:
I use life flasks that add armor and that heal 50% instantly. As a cheap addition I use a jade and granite flaks with 20% quality and added evasion/armor. They give a nice boost to survivability. Usually I leap slam into a mob pack and hit granite/jade when they are melee or ranged phys. Last flask is your typical quicksilver with additional MS and charges/recovery. Dont forget to add an anti-bleed flask.
When you are rich you can add your common unique flasks later.

Char stats
Spoiler

Ice Crash (with hatred, HoA and ice golem) @ Level 77. Not a single quality gem, 5L (IC + Meele Phys + Inc AoE + WED + Blood Magic).

Defense (with 3 Endu Charges, Molten Shell & Tempest Shield). 50% damage reduction from armor, 20% from Fortify, 28% chance to evade attacks, 39% block chance. Full resistances.

How to level and play
Spoiler

Leveling:
I started with two melee weapons and dual strike. Depening on what you have, you can also start with a two hand weapon and any melee skill you like. I switched to ice crash on lv 28. Important: Ice Crash ONLY uses the main hand. Thats why I played with a nice main hand (high pdps) and a nice offhand (dps doesnt matter, but needs nice mods like crit multi). The offhand usually is a dagger with 80% clobal crit chance and crit multi mod. Dont look at your tooltip dps when you dual wield. Its wrong. When you start using Abyssus you should switch to 1h + shield.

Usual Playstyle:
I leap slam into mob packs, Warlords Mark applies. If they hit you, use your granite/jade flask. CwDT will apply Molten Shell and Tempest Shield for additional survivability.
With high crit multi, I sometimes kill whole packs with the leap.
On the early maps, you will kill bosses before the curse expires so you shouldnt have any problems. If you get in trouble, just leap slam away and attack again.

Reflect:
Reflect might be a problem with high crit multi. I usually dont play reflect maps, not because its rippy but because you have to be cautios and are therefore slower. Reflect packs with thornflesh or single reflect rare mobs arent much of a problem usually.

How to improve this build and what else to say
Spoiler

This is the first build I posted here so please be nice to me ;) I feel its a very easy to play yet interesting build. I managed to map easily without dying with low gear (except my weapon, that is more like mid gear). Since the build stacks many kinds of defenses (armor, fortify, endu charges, evasion, block, life, life reg, life leech, stun) its viable for almost every situation. Of course I didnt test it with Atziri :)

When you manage to add enough mana leech, you can switch from blood magic to another offensive gem like additional fire damage. If you want you can also add Endu charges for more defense. This way this build becomes even better.
Last edited by raggapaul on Jul 15, 2015, 6:48:21 AM
Any feedback lords & ladies? ;)

I will play this in next league, so any optimisation is more than welcome!
good and well thought out build mate
tree looks fine as well and has good possibilities to go for more dmg or safety

i only fear that most people will prefer 2h builds with ice crash to go for huge hits that kill an entire screen with 1 hit
1h melee builds are somehow not so appreciated

€: and you should totally use blood rage btw, sustaining it will be easy with this build
Last edited by prospecial on Jun 29, 2015, 7:58:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

a) I tried bloodrage. Due to the 2,8% regen from the build, its really easy to use. It raised my DPS a lot!
b) I just bought a 6L very cheap, thanks to a very nice person (maskedmartyr). Together with blood rage I now have 60k dps aka one hit everything.
c) I understand that people will prefer 2h but you cant use a 2h with Abysuss, at least not on hc. my build is much easier because its cheaper and more tanky.

Swapping Inc AoE for Inc AoE damage gave me 90k dps. Taken into account that I dont have any quality gems and due to the synergies from the quality (20% cold damage from ice crash profits from weapon elemental damage, etc.) I believe this can easily go above 100k for boss setup and easily 80k for aoe setup while being very tanky. I still like it :)
Last edited by raggapaul on Jun 29, 2015, 1:30:24 PM
yep, 90k are amazing
you made me thinking about a char like this in hardcore ^^

a nice crit scepter should have even more dmg than any sword, but i dont exactly know right now
there are special nodes near templar for that to play around with

is blood magic gem really necessary? how about the leech from warlords
maybe its just me but i absolutely hate it
can ice crash be supported by mana like that?
Last edited by prospecial on Jun 30, 2015, 10:24:12 AM
why not vaal pact?
ign: trytowin
"
ggrambo wrote:
why not vaal pact?

you can surely take it
depends on personal taste i think
life regen is pretty nice

with very high damage i would take it
Last edited by prospecial on Jul 4, 2015, 3:31:57 PM
Looks very nice..well done man!

but what do you mean by this "Swapping Inc AoE for Inc AoE damage"
Sorry dude, was offline a couple of days :D

Inc AoE for packs for additional range, Inc AoE damage = concentrated effect for bosses. Will boost the damage a lot :)
what jewels do you recommend for this build?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info