[2.2] Nuclear Shell - VMS Scolds Flameblast [DEAD AFTER 2.3.0]

After 2.3.0, GGG officially killed the build and Vaal Molten Shell skill.

2.3.0 patch:

"
Vaal Molten Shell's duration has been reduced from 10 seconds to 5 seconds at all gem levels. Its damage has been reduced at high levels. It does the same damage at gem level 1, up to half the damage it previously did at gem level 20.

The skill is dead.

Archive
Build now uses a Witch class & Elementalist ascendancy

At the moment, at least in Perandus and partially standard legaues, this (or similar VMS-based) build is probably one of the, if not the most powerful in the game in terms of cost efficiency, or how much currency you spend vs how much power you get for it.

With a few exalts worth of gear you get both high clearspeed and insane boss killing ability, with relatively high survivability to top it off.

Intro

The idea of this build dates back as far as Torment league, just posting the particular variation that I run these days. 2.2 update brought VMS builds to new ridiculous heights, so I decided it is worth to update it.

The build uses two main skills - Flameblast and Vaal Molten Shell (VMS). Flameblast is used both as VMS activator and as a backup skill when VMS is down.

After ascendancy the build gained so much more damage that now it is possible to kill things mostly using just Whirling Blades while VMS is active, resorting to using Flameblast only for very tough targets.

Gear for it is relatively cheap, you can totally crush all maps with 4L.
Main concern is the current price of Scolds, however in Perandus it is super cheap.

Alternatively, the variant without Scold's and VMS can be built on less than 3ex budget with 5L, and will still deal respectable damage. You can use either Flameblast or Firestorm depending on your preference.

Updates

After 2.0 I decided to get rid of RF, in order to be able to run a higher variety of map mods, and to prevent every Discipline user from blessing my char with a high life degeneration...

After 2.2 the build no longer uses the EB / MoM combo in order to save passive points, instead just Ghost Reaver is used. It also switched to Flameblast. Elementalist ascendancy is now used in order to gain Conflux, idea is from this video by Cory W

Videos

[2.2] Volcano - run without Sacrificial Harvests
[2.0] Gorge (initial testing)
Atziri Trio (old RF build version)
Bosses in Necropolis & Crematorium (old RF build version)

Other versions

CI/ES version of a similar build was posted by sftruze, and can be found here.
Instead of Elementalist he uses Occultist ascendancy, in order to debuff enemy chaos resist,
get more max ES, and get ES regen on kill.

Pros & Cons

Pros

- can eliminate any boss in the game, except Ubers (haven't tried), in mere seconds.
Normal Atziri trio, which many people have problems with, died in less than 5 seconds.
Bosses up to T10 maps die either instantly or from a few casts.
- fast clearspeed. With VMS active, you kill an entire enemy pack by whirling through it just once or twice, without casting Flameblast at all! My result is around 150 mil XP at lvl 87, with lots of wasted time picking up shitty loot.
- combines extremely high damage with high defense. Endurance charges, 50/30 block with Rumi, Enfeeble, optional AA, up to 5% leech with Warlords and Atziri's Promise, CwDT Arctic Breath, high life regen from frenzy charges + golem, golem taunts and distracts enemies.
- 75% (legacy) and 100% (dual-wield) chaos conversion build versions can run elemental reflect maps
- fast movement with Whirling Blades
Cons

- clearspeed depends on map layout. In maps with bad layout you can't chain VMS effectively, this somewhat reduces clearspeed since you have to stop in order to cast Flameblast
- not very good in multistage fights vs. Atziri, since you need to charge a new VMS gem for each boss stage, which is tedious
Mechanics

Offense

Our main attack is Vaal Molten Shell (VMS), which is being triggered on each skill use, due to the special property of Scold's Bridle helmet. This means that it is triggered once on each use of Whirling Blades, as well as around 8-10 times per second if you are casting Flameblast.

Note that VMS activates on the starting point of Whirling Blades, so in order to kill a pack of enemies you need to first whirl right in the middle of it, and then whirl away to the next one, so that VMS would go off in the middle of the first pack. Using Whirling Blades efficiently can greatly increase you clearspeed.

What makes VMS really great through is a buff called Elemental Conflux, which is an effect that places shock, burn and chill on enemies when they are hit with any elemental (chaos is also an element!) damage, with the effect duration based on the total combined value of all elemental damage!
This means that if you, for example, deal 500 chaos and 500 fire damage, the enemies will be shocked as if you dealt 1000 lightning damage!

So, with Elemental Conflux buff active, each enemy will be shocked, poisoned, burned and chilled!
In order to gain Elemental Conflux we chose the Shaper of Desolation node from Elementalist ascendancy of Witch class.

Beacon of Ruin is another important Elementalist skill node - it grants us elemental effect proliferation to nearby enemies, which means that stragglers who were out of range of VMS can still die if they follow you and get around the corpses which will proliferate shock and burn on them.
This mproves clearpseed!

Defense

The best defense is movement - just moving with whirling blades will evade most of the attacks coming your way. However, you still need to cast Flameblast sometimes, plus your game client can freeze / lag / or you might just get into a bad situation, so you still need to be moderately tanky to survive , and for that we have:

* Whirling Blades & Fortify - best movement skill in the game - allows to evade most of the enemy attacks manually, on hitting enemies it also activates Fortify which reduces all damage taken from hits (doesn't work for DoTs)
* Life / ES hybrid lifepool. We are looking at 6000+ effective hp (EHP) with decent gear
* Block and spellblock. With Rumi flask active, we are looking at around 40/50, basically cutting the amount of incoming damage in half.
* Warlords Mark and Enfeeble on Blasphemy. Warlords grants ES leech (with Ghost Reaver) and endurance charges, which reduce physical damage taken. Enfeeble reduces enemy damage, crit chance and accuracy.
* Arctic Armour - provides physical and fire damage taken reduction, as well as chilling ground effect, which can be used to slow down bosses.
* Basalt Flask - reduces physical damage taken.
* Elemental Conflus - most enemies hit by your spells will be chilled

Gear

Helmet
The centerpiece of the build and one item which is definitely required:

Scolds Bridle allows us to endlessly proc Vaal Molten Shell, because each skill/spell use counts as a hit on yourself. In order to pull max effectiveness out of this interaction, we use Flameblast, which has high amount of casts per second. Previously I used Incinerate, but Flameblast usually provides higher clearspeed and generally a safer option in most cases.

Body Armour
Carcass Jack - general-purpose chest usable by a ton of builds, boosts AoE, has life, some ES and resists.
Cloak of Flame (CoF) - not that good for a hybrid build due to no ES and life. It provides 15% reduction to any amount of physical damage taken. You can use a 4L one until you get a Carcass.

We aren't using Lightning Coil since it does not have ES and the negative lightning res that it gives can be quite hard to counteract without decent gear. But most importantly, it reduces our EHP, which is really bad against elemental attacks.

Rings - 1xDoedre's Damning, enables the second curse. Other one is rare with life, resists, fire dmg, cast speed. Preferably with Elreon's -8 mana costr mod.
Amulet - rare, same stats as rings, preferably with Elreon's -8 mana cost mod. Ideally corrupted for +1 curse, then Doedre ring can be replaced.

Shield - Rathpith Globe

Gives damage, life, spellblock and ES.
Until you can get one use a rare ES shield with life, added block chance, spelldamage and resists.

Weapon - Consuming Dark

If you don't have a legacy one or want to maximise your damage at the expense of defense - drop the shield and dual-wield them.

Belt - rare with life, ES, and resists.
STR can also be good since it gives some life as well.

Boots - you have a choice here.
Either rares with life+resists, or Blood Dance, to get % more overall damage and extra life regen. I prefer Blood Dance.

Gloves - rares with ES base. Life, resists, attack speed, DEX. Attack speed is highly desirable here, as it directly translates into faster clearspeed. You can mastercraft up to 12% on a free suffix slot, which is equal to 3 average skillnodes.
Vaal Caress is an option, but with VMS being as OP as it is +2 skill lvl won't make much difference really.
Now, if you corrupt another +2 to vaal skills on it, that might be worth considering,
with this you will most likely be able to kill most bosses extremely quickly even in full party.

Gems

6L: Vaal Molten Shell - Increased Duration - Void Manipulation - Controlled Destruction - Increased AoE - Empower / LL
Hypothermia can be used if you have one spare green socket, however, it is not very effective.
4L: Flameblast - Faster Casting - Void Manipulation - Controlled Destruction
4L: CWDT (5) - Blade Vortex - Arctic Breath (7) - Stone Golem (7)
3/4L: Blasphemy - Warlord's Mark - Enfeeble (+ Enlighten lvl 3)
3L: Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Fortify
3L: Flame Dash - Faster Casting / Arctic Armour - Vaal Lightning Trap

Use AA if you have at least 1 piece of Elreon jewelry with -8 mana and level 2 Enlighten, Otherwise you'll be running out of mana.

Vaal Lightning Trap is optional for very dangerous bosses that you need to bring down quickly. On most maps I don't use it at all, because it requires the same amount of souls to fill as VMS, delaying your first VMS activation.

[2.2] Gear lvl 90
+ Doedre's Ring
[2.2] Gear lvl 85
[2.0] Gear lvl 89

Stats

-- will be added later --

VMS dmg is around 20k unbuffed, up to 35k in ideal circumstances.
This is just tooltip though, real dmg with shock, burn and poison is much, much higher.

Tree

Planned tree - 110pt - for any additional points just go to Scion life cluster

This tree has 4 jewel sockets.
Probably at least two of them should be filled with 8% to max life jewels with other useful mods, cast speed in particular.
Other jewel sockets should be filled by either Sacrificial Harvest (preferable) or Atziri's Reign jewels (meh, only use close to max rolls and only if you can't get Harvests)

Ascendancy

Class: Elementalist

Shaper of Desolation - grants Elemental Conflux, main reason to get Elementalist subclass.
Beacon of Ruin - Ele Prolif with less radius, but without using up gem slot and no dmg reduction!
Pendulum of Destruction - each 10 seconds grants 100% increased dmg for 4 seconds, not bad!

My current tree

Bandits

Norm - Oak
Cruel - Krait
Merc - Krait (moar damage) or Oak (better phys mitigation)

Mapping, dangerous encounters

Map mods that you should always reroll:
* Enemies are immune to leech - no mana to use skills and you don't restore hp
* Enemies are immune to curses - same as above, plus no Enfeeble = even less survivability

Map mods that you can run, but not necessarily should:
* Blood Magic - need to link Life Leech to VMS, set up CwDT-Warlords Mark, care to not ever hit reflect with Flameblast (unless you have dual Darks), and lose all ES. Too inconvenient, I always reroll this.
* Elemental reflect - doesn't matter if you run dual Darks, but for one + shield - can be problematic. You should mostly be fine if you link Life Leech gem to VMS.

Dangerous enemies

Spoiler
* Porcupines. This is your number one enemy. Not map bosses, not Beyond mobs, not Nemesis or Bloodlines mobs. Fucking porcupines. On explosion they release a lot of spikes that deal very heavy damage. Exploding a big enough pack of them is almost a guaranteed death. Leech is useless against them since they deal damage after death, when there is no one to leech from. They are especially dangerous on added elemental damage maps, and even more so if there is an added lightning damage mod.

First thing you can do is to carry around an Immortal Call gem, and slot it in your CwDT setup instead of a golem if you see porcupines in a map. Unfortunately, if a map has added ele damage, IC does nothing against it.
Second, simply avoid killing large groups of them - separate them, and kill 3-5 max at a time.
Third, if you did kill a large number of porcupines at once, move perpendicularly from the center of explosion. This way spikes have way less chance to hit you. If you move directly away from the center, a ton of spikes is guaranteed to hit.

* Academy map boss. The best way is just to skip him entirely. If you use VMS he spawns a million of tornadoes that will freeze your system or game client. The only way to try and outleech his damage in melee would be VP with Vinktar flask, but we don't have that. However, even if you manage to live before killing him, after the kill your leech stops, but there is still a ton of tornadoes, with your system / game client being frozen and you unable to escape, so you die anyway. Alternatively, you can use Flameblast, but then you have no leech aside from Arziri Promise and boss is not Enfeebled. So it is still very sketchy.

Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on Jun 30, 2016, 3:58:02 AM
Last bumped on Aug 30, 2016, 8:30:24 AM
Added some basic damage calculation.

With corrupted Vaal Caress Gloves it should be possible to reach more than 1 million singletarget dps without curses.

Some other options would be:
a) Moving VMS to a 5L and Incinerate to a 4L. This allows us to use Fire Pen for VMS.
b) Using Vaal Lightning Trap to shock bosses. The problem is in which sockets to slot it.
Last edited by Shajirr on Jun 26, 2015, 10:55:45 AM
Updated for 2.0

- got rid of RF
- Incinerate damage almost doubled (with one less damage gem used!!)
- lost 30% on VMS damage
- got dual-curse nodes
- got MoM/EB/GR for both damage mitigation and fueling Incinerate cost
- in addition to running 2 heralds can also now run Anger
- have 30% block and spellblock, with Rumi block chance becomes decent
- lots of new ways to reduce incoming phys dmg aside from block

Added generic Gorge run vid with this new setup
Last edited by Shajirr on Jul 12, 2015, 5:12:16 AM
Hey, cool build! I have thought of doing a similar build since i have a +4 vaal caress and a 100% scolds. But i have some questions:
Why use cybil's instead of a rare wand?
Why did you spec out of Righteous fire?
Is the build reflect safe?
I make mirror tier items, I don't rlly play the actual game. Reddit hates me. I'm not cool.
"
TheAmigoBoyz wrote:
Hey, cool build! I have thought of doing a similar build since i have a +4 vaal caress and a 100% scolds. But i have some questions:
Why use cybil's instead of a rare wand?
Why did you spec out of Righteous fire?
Is the build reflect safe?

- Why use cybil's instead of a rare wand?
- Whirling Blades. Moving with WB is great in Lockstep mode, and it allows me to use Fortify.
Rare wand will have more dps, but I won't be able to use the whole MoM/EB system with it since there will be no life restoration with GR. You can go mana-bsed, but this will require the removal of one herald, which kinda defeats the purpose of swithing to a wand to get more damage.

- Why did you spec out of Righteous fire?
- Every Discipline user causes you to degen life, sometimes rapidly, since the EB doesn't get rid of ES, and ES makes you burn for more dmg.
Also, a variety of map mods becomes much more dangerous or non-runnable to you unless you don't use RF at all.
Namely, -max, vulnerability, shocked ground, +% dmg added as shock, half/no regen, blood magic
Basically, in mapping RF is more of a liability than a useful feature.

- Is the build reflect safe?
- Nope. But this isn't really an issue anymore since it is very easy to spot now compared to how it was before. Corrupting Blood is a much bigger issue than reflect will ever be.

You can make it mostly reflect safe by switching to RotP + switching Anger for PoF.
This however means no spellblock and less damage.
Last edited by Shajirr on Jul 12, 2015, 5:13:06 AM
Updated the gear with more optimised skill gem links, and added the section for skill gems setup
Hey! 1% block has been nerfed of jewels im thinking to move to this build (of yotmato)
its good idea? have this build more dps than the yotmato? can you actualise the new tree? leveling too? its a tree similar like yotmato? or you focus more to spell dmg instead of block???
IGN:ZorryFlurry
"
k3nz0ry wrote:
Hey! 1% block has been nerfed of jewels im thinking to move to this build (of yotmato)
its good idea? have this build more dps than the yotmato? can you actualise the new tree? leveling too? its a tree similar like yotmato? or you focus more to spell dmg instead of block???

Well jewel nerf is not enough reason to move in my opinion, with Rumi you still have capped block.

About dps - should be about 2-3 times more damage even without Scold's Bridle helm, with 3 Dragons instead. I don't really know what his dmg is though, ask him.

Ah damn the tree is broken, thought it worked. Will update.

However, again, block by default is 30%, 33% with Tempest Shield, plus up to additional 30% with Rumi's flask, as a result build requires more careful play in dangerous maps.
Last edited by Shajirr on Jul 13, 2015, 7:19:12 AM
Hey,

Build looks really promissing, as I am trying to follow the
yotomatos build for now.

Whats your suggested ES amount, when to switch to EB? Cause with low mana regen Incinirate is such a mana drain, you have to pop mana flasks fairly often.
Last edited by tradzhedy on Jul 13, 2015, 7:30:08 AM
"
tradzhedy wrote:

Whats your suggested ES amount, when to switch to EB? Cause with low mana regen Incinirate is such a mana drain, you have to pop mana flasks fairly often.

In my experience I could only power 5L Incinerate after having at least 800 ES, 1000+ is a safe minimum level I think. 4L Incinerate should be working with a lesser ES pool.

Also, if you can, buy the -7 or -8 skill mana cost Elreon ring / amulet from someone.
It will help greatly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info