105k dps, Triple Cursing Righteous Fire Flicker, Easy Atziri (videos inside)

What's up with this strange combination of RF and flicker ?

RF's dps when scaled by elemental equilibrium and 3 curses balloons to over 100k.(Calculations are shown below) This is enough dps to kill most mobs almost immediately and the bottleneck for the map clearing speed of a pure RF build is movement speed.

Ever been annoyed by ranged mobs or mobs that run around a lot when playing pure RF or the need to backtrack sometimes when using cyclone? While cyclone provides high survivability(mobility and can't be stunned), your map clearing speed will be bottleneck-ed by your movement speed. Flicker solves this by allowing quick transitioning from mob to mob, pack to pack

The main purpose of this setup is to use flicker as opposed to cyclone as a movement skill and also as a means to apply 3 curses.This setup is able to quickly speed through maps and reaps the benefits of a generic flicker setup (fast clear speed and movement from pack to pack) without needing to worry about reflect damage or having another single target skill.

Vaal molten shell is also used in this build as a means to leech back life against spiky damage and also to take down map bosses quickly.

Here are some recordings of a few map runs

lv 76 Academy
https://youtu.be/mCoAUJHUpGg

Lv 74 Gorge (3 minute 40 seconds) Using lightning coil
https://youtu.be/BrHi5CXacyk
Apex
https://youtu.be/KFCeJdhYxAY

<work in progress>

Why 3 Curses?

"
While it is true that more effective hp increases the base damage of RF. The base damage you obtain is quite pathetic.
It is essentially (Hp+ES)/2
Besides Elemental equilibrium, what really scales the damage of RF are the 3 curses: Elemental weakness , Flammibility and Vulnerability.

A lot of people have overlooked Vulnerability in their curse setup and it is pretty shocking. A quick look up on the vulnerability feedback thread shows a dev explaining that vulnerability scales the total damage by a modifier because the mod is applied from the side of the monster!

Think about it. Elemental equilibrium, Quality Elemental weakness + Flammability with Quality curse on hit with 18% curse effectiveness from the tree provides (47+39)1.28 +50= 160 . -160 fire resistance. that's a huge dmg modifier. And on top of this huge dmg modifier. Vulnerability, which is applied on the side of the monster to the total dmg dealt to it, scales it by a further 33(1.28)=42.4%.

If you aren't using 3 curses your damage will be pretty lacklustre. But if you are using 3 curses with EE your damage will balloon to over 100k dps with sufficient hp. It should be noted that curses on map bosses have 60% reduced effectiveness though and this will drop dps to about 60-70k which is still higher than RT melee in general

TLDR: Any RF build worth its salt should use 3 curses else you are just severely gimping yourself. Dropping 1 curse is the equivalent of dropping melee physical or multistrike in a melee build

Why have a Vaal molten shell setup?

Vaal Molten Shell vs Academy Boss
https://youtu.be/mCoAUJHUpGg?t=83

One of the main weakness of RF builds is that the damage is dealt in melee range which puts the player in the danger zone. Without reliable leech to top up the player, the damage taken will overwhelm the puny life regeneration and kill the player. This happens mostly against bosses like the trio in apex, Atziri and palace dom or any maps with rip mods or hc mods.

Vaal molten shell provides a means to deal heavy damage to the bosses to breeze through hard content and also provides a means to leech back life to deal with spike damage . It synergizes with your fire damage nodes and elemental damage bonus and is further scaled by RF to deal about 8000 base dmg at lv 17. This build uses curse on hit flammability and elemental weakness as well as elemental equilibrium to reduce the mob’s fire resistance by ((39+47)*1.06+50) =141.

Note: I have quality curse on hit and elemental weakness as well as a curse effectiveness node.

Damage dealt when hit = 2.41*8000= 19280
With 9.8% leech from a doryani and the life leech gem you will end up leeching for 1889.44 hp /sec (capped by life leech rate)

With the additional leech on top of your life regeneration , seething pots and other dmg mitigation mechanics like coil and armour... you will be able to tank almost anything safely.

Why take resolute technique?

As mentioned before, RF's base damage is terrible and relies heavily on EE and 3 curses to scale it...hence accuracy becomes important and RT is taken so that we can reliably apply EE and curses on hit.

Gems setup

Spoiler
Flicker setup and curse on hit setup

Option 1: No blood magic

6L
Flicker strike->Melee Splash->Curse on Hit->Vulnerability->Elemental Weakness->FLammability
5L
Flicker strike->Curse on Hit->Vulnerability->Elemental Weakness->FLammability
Or
Flicker strike->Melee Splash->Curse on Hit->Elemental Weakness->FLammability
(Use with a Vulnerability on Hit corrupted gloves. About 2-3 ex for a Vulnerability on Hit aurseize)

Option 2: Blood magic

6L
Flicker strike->Melee Splash->Blood Magic->Curse on Hit->Elemental Weakness->FLammability
(Use with a Vulnerability on Hit corrupted gloves. About 2-3 ex for a Vulnerability on Hit aurseize)

RF setup

Righteous Fire->Increased AOE->Concentrated Effect->Increased Burning Damage

Generic RF setup.

Vaal Molten Shell Setup

Vaal Molten Shell->Life Leech->BLood Magic

CWDT Setup

lv 7 CWDT->lv7 EC->lv8 IC

Auras

Reduced Mana->Empower->Purity of Fire->Vitality

There is a lot of flexibility here.

Passives

Bandits
Spoiler
Oak-Kill-Kill

Damage Calculation
Spoiler

HP calculation

Level=94
Strength=366
helm_hp=91
boots_hp=89
ring1_hp=77
ring2_hp=72
amulet_hp=67
gloves_hp=81
chest_hp=0
belt_hp=75

passive_hp=86

hp=helm_hp+ boots_hp+ring1_hp+ring2_hp+amulet_hp+gloves_hp+chest_hp+belt_hp+passive_hp

hpmod=194+40 (if using belly of the beast)
HP = (28+50 + (Level * 12) + (Strength / 2) + hp) * (1 + hpmod/100)= 6770

ES=114

BaseDamage=0.5*(ES+HP)

CurseEffectiveness=eff=1 + 0.06(Passive)+ 0.1(quality CoH gem)

Increase Modifiers

Ele=115+26 (inc elemental damage)
Aoe=20 (Inc AoE dmg)
Burn=75+59 (Inc Burn dmg , includes gem)
Fire= 40 + 12+70(Inc Fire dmg)

Curses
Vul=33*CurseEffectiveness (Vulnerability)
EleW=47*CurseEffectiveness (Elemental Weakness)
Flam=39*CurseEffectiveness (Flammability)

Conc=69 (Concentrated Effect)
EE=50 (Elemental Equilibrium)
Res=0 (Monster Fire Resistance)

DPS=
Base*(1+(Ele+Aoe+Burn+Fire)/100)*(1+Conc/100)*(1+Vul/100)*(1+(Flam+EleW+EE-Res)/100)
=104850.7 ~=104k dps

Take note of how Vulnerability is factored into damage calculation! A lot of people still don't understand how it works and treat it as a generic increase damage modifier.

For dps on bosses... reduce CurseEffectiveness by 0.6 and add about 30 fire resistance to Monster Fire Resistance (that's what Atziri has) That will give us
60486.25~= 60k dps against Atziri

Gear
Spoiler

Things to take note of for gear
1.Chaos resistance: You will want positive chaos resistance to mitigate the chaos degen from blood rage
2.Non fire elemental damage: You will want non fire elemental damage either on your rings or amulet(Lightning coil provides lightning damage too). This is to enable us to trigger Elemental Equilibrium on Hit
3. RoTP or Saffell's: Not much choice here :s You can of course get more regen and multi mod a rare shield to have leo's 2 DoT mods if you are feeling rich. Not really worth the investment though

Flasks
Spoiler

I will flesh out the guide if there is enough interest else it will just stay like this as a record of sorts
http://i62.tinypic.com/2w7lhk5.jpg
Last edited by TheVengefulOne on Jun 29, 2015, 11:07:18 PM
Last bumped on Aug 29, 2017, 9:39:34 PM
reserved for updates later on
uploaded a recording of an apex run since a midnight dropped :o

That's all the updates for now
Great guide!

I like Cyclone much more :) And your cyclone guide seems more tanky because of block.

Will you use Cyclone or Flicker in 2.0?
"
hitreza wrote:
Great guide!

I like Cyclone much more :) And your cyclone guide seems more tanky because of block.

Will you use Cyclone or Flicker in 2.0?

With enough dps to kill white and most blue mobs on contact flicker is much faster than cyclone especially against packs of mobs that are spread out like goats and avian retches. With cyclone no matter how high your dps is, your clear speed is bottleneck-ed by your movement speed. Flicker solves this by allowing quick transition from mob to mob pack to pack

Map clearing speed aside, I am also a big fan of cyclone and using cyclone does provide a lot more survivability (can't be stunned, high mobility etc) The good thing is cyclone more or less uses the same sockets as flicker so I can just swap out flicker for cyclone if needed like in my apex run :o

I will probably be using a mixture of both
Will Carcass Jack work for this build or does it have to be Lightning Coil?
How viable will this be in 2.0?

Oh and what did you pick for the act 2 bosses?

Thanks!
Last edited by rotan on Jun 19, 2015, 1:16:36 PM
"
rotan wrote:
Will Carcass Jack work for this build or does it have to be Lightning Coil?
How viable will this be in 2.0?

Oh and what did you pick for the act 2 bosses?

Thanks!

Definitely ok with carcass jack. Easier to color too.

I am just a fan of tanky setups. With lightning coil, taste of hate, saffell's and purity of lightning... 6k HP is enough to face tank a palace dom smash (I have never bothered to dodge it) I can dig out my damage calculations to show the amount of damage taken and mitigated if you are interested

I helped oak in normal and killed them all for cruel and merciless
Last edited by TheVengefulOne on Jun 19, 2015, 10:14:45 PM
Thanks again!
disregard this, i was just blind lol
Last edited by Drigin1 on Jun 23, 2015, 2:49:41 AM
Finally got to try out the build, I like it so far! I just hit 75 so I'm not that strong and I have trouble keeping the regen going (edit had the wrong shield on like a noob) but I see that this has a lot of potential. Thanks again for the build!
Last edited by rotan on Jun 23, 2015, 1:46:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info