[outdated] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+)

If you're a solo player, yes.

If you're a party player, no. Poison Arrow cannot cull.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
"
Serleth wrote:
If you're a solo player, yes.

If you're a party player, no. Poison Arrow cannot cull.

I like to play solo so yea.

What concerns me is the playability of this build when you don't have hours to spend a day to level the char.
I usually play around 2 hours a day and some more during the weekends.
Will I still be able to make the stated 0.5 exalt/hour ?
And even run a 6 link.
Last edited by Mispleled on Nov 30, 2015, 5:12:53 AM
Yeah, that's the point.

No matter how fast you progress, the build excels since it has minimal start-up cost (a 5L bow, some alteration orbs) and can be played at any pace. Tho note that faster = more orbs / hour. The stated 0.5 Ex / hour was from 1.3.x, in 2.0 it's a bit lower but the principle stands still.

The 6L bow is rather cheap nowadays, there has been a discovery of crafting methods. See the first few posts about that.

For a reference, Serleth and I have both been able to clear the 8/8 achievements in Warbands with this build, he was very fast with it, too.

IGN: WildTortillaFart
"
Chronodroid wrote:
Yeah, that's the point.

No matter how fast you progress, the build excels since it has minimal start-up cost (a 5L bow, some alteration orbs) and can be played at any pace. Tho note that faster = more orbs / hour. The stated 0.5 Ex / hour was from 1.3.x, in 2.0 it's a bit lower but the principle stands still.

The 6L bow is rather cheap nowadays, there has been a discovery of crafting methods. See the first few posts about that.

For a reference, Serleth and I have both been able to clear the 8/8 achievements in Warbands with this build, he was very fast with it, too.

Thanks for the quick rundown. I am planning to play this char the upcoming league and get the full armour set with it.
Hi Serleth !

Thanks for this build, I'm currently lv32 and choose to take PA NOW :)

I'm in standard and have some currencies from my previous char (all but no exalts :) ).

I have left soul siphon for the moment (got elreon rings), I have entropy + method of the madness. Now I'm going heart of oak -> duelist path
+1 silverbranch 4 linked (actually 3 gems, all gems with quality, waiting lvl 38 to put AOE)

I have made a 4 link flame totem : flame totem + faster casting + faster proj + add lightning damage.
(is there a better combo for that ?)

I was wondering what kind of quiver can I run before I can get / buy a drillneck ?

I also found a +2bow that I can use at lvl 51, I think we can't found a +2 before that level ? (eliminating legacy +2 silverbranch)

do you have so other tips regarding my current setup to smooth the leveling process ?

Thanks !
"
partyboy79 wrote:
I have made a 4 link flame totem : flame totem + faster casting + faster proj + add lightning damage.
(is there a better combo for that ?)

I was wondering what kind of quiver can I run before I can get / buy a drillneck ?

I also found a +2bow that I can use at lvl 51, I think we can't found a +2 before that level ? (eliminating legacy +2 silverbranch)

do you have so other tips regarding my current setup to smooth the leveling process ?

Thanks !

Regarding Flame Totem, the only better gem is added chaos (instead of added lightning).

No specific base-type is required for leveling the build. You just want resistances and life.

I'm not sure precisely the change that a +2 bow makes to the level requirement of the bow. It's possible that it could be earlier. I'll try remember to investigate that today.

Other than that, most of what you need is described in the leveling guides. Since you're running it in Standard, you probably wouldn't need to stack IIR as much as possible, as you would want to do in a new league to accumulate currency while leveling, but that depends on how much currency you have available. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Sounds like you're well on the way. The more gear you have pre-prepared to add life, the more you can forgo life for damage as you level. That's really about it.
nicebuild
As my build stands right now, level 86, I have 25/302 on my flame totem+cull, about 20k tooltip dps with 5 frenzy charges up, and just under 4k hp with much of the Scion hp wheel taken.

I'm pretty satisfied with the build, not building wealth super quickly, but with patience it will come.

I can't come anywhere near affording a 21/20 PA gem yet, or a 6L +3 bow... but once again, that will come with time. I'm leveling 2 extra PA gems so I can use the vendor recipe to get Q20 gems, re-level them, and try to corrupt them to L21 myself.

I've had to use jewels to cap some of my resists, with 2x Andvarius, resist are REALLY stretched thin... so I'm just barely above 75%. I don't see any way I can reach 113%, so I just avoid maps with -% elemental resists, and try to focus on magic monster and pack size. I'm considering dropping 2 life nodes to pick up Cloth&Chain, maybe with that I can drop resists off my jewels and pick up a bit more damage?

I do run into mana issues sometimes, especially with -20% regen affix on maps, but it's not THAT big of a deal with some kiting and careful management.

I'd like to pick the 10%projectile damage nodes up again, which will happen as I level - for right now I feel better having the extra HP.

Do we have any idea yet how badly this build will be nerfed on Dec 11th, or in Ascension?

Any other advice for where I stand right now?

Thanks for the excellent guide, as a new player I REALLY appreciate it.

Last edited by SpidaFly on Dec 1, 2015, 10:59:47 PM
"
SpidaFly wrote:
As my build stands right now, level 86, I have 25/302 on my flame totem+cull, about 20k tooltip dps with 5 frenzy charges up, and just under 4k hp with much of the Scion hp wheel taken.

I'm pretty satisfied with the build, not building wealth super quickly, but with patience it will come.

I can't come anywhere near affording a 21/20 PA gem yet, or a 6L +3 bow... but once again, that will come with time. I'm leveling 2 extra PA gems so I can use the vendor recipe to get Q20 gems, re-level them, and try to corrupt them to L21 myself.

I've had to use jewels to cap some of my resists, with 2x Andvarius, resist are REALLY stretched thin... so I'm just barely above 75%. I don't see any way I can reach 113%, so I just avoid maps with -% elemental resists, and try to focus on magic monster and pack size. I'm considering dropping 2 life nodes to pick up Cloth&Chain, maybe with that I can drop resists off my jewels and pick up a bit more damage?

I do run into mana issues sometimes, especially with -20% regen affix on maps, but it's not THAT big of a deal with some kiting and careful management.

I'd like to pick the 10%projectile damage nodes up again, which will happen as I level - for right now I feel better having the extra HP.

Do we have any idea yet how badly this build will be nerfed on Dec 11th, or in Ascension?

I did have a look at your gear that you are using atm. You are leveling 2 PA gems in your gloves. While you don't have any weapons/shields in your second weapon slot.
Did you know that gems also level in the second weapon slot ? This way you are not only able to level up more gems but it will also free up a possible 4-link in your gloves.
"
SpidaFly wrote:

First, thanks man. I worked really hard to try and keep the guide accessible for new players so that they could jump right into the game and feel comfortable following my work, so I'm glad it's panning out for you. =)

I'll just kind of address things in order here.

a) Those are pretty good numbers for flame totem, but the sort of "slow and steady" wealth increase you're probably feeling is likely in part because it is in Standard league, which has been around for ages and also serves as something of a dumping ground for temporary leagues. What this translates into is that most players have their builds in Standard completed, meaning it's tougher to move items.

If you're comfortable rerolling in Talisman when it comes out, you'll notice it'll be much easier to sell items as everybody starts at 0 in a fresh economy and will look for incremental upgrades.

As for resistances, that's fairly normal as you're building the character but I noticed you sacrificed quite a bit on your helmet in order to get that 48% IIR. I think it's fine to have that until you get your bow 6L'd but at that point you should definitely swap the helmet for one that gives you life and a secondary resistance.

You're also not running any resistances on your amulet, which is by far the easiest upgrade for you to make right now. For that reason, I would advise you to stay away from Cloth and Chain until at least you upgrade your amulet and see where your resistances are at then.

Based on your gear my guess is the mana issues are largely because you're running Purity of Elements. What regearing to get better resistances on gear (tri-res belt, dual res + life + int + IIR helmet, and a gold amulet with life + explicit IIR + at least one resistance) will allow you to do is drop Purity for Clarity. At which point you'll see your mana issues completely disappear.

In turn what THAT will allow you to do is drop Primal Spirit and instead path fully through Heart of Oak, getting you two extra points to either invest in life or damage.

Lastly, once you feel you're done leveling the character, regardless of what your resistances are, I would advise you to not roll over -max res% maps. It's one of the most profitable affixes you can run, giving 18% IIQ, 9% IIR and 16% pack size. One of the central advantages of this build is that it can run virtually every map mod.

In a completed build with life on all non-unique pieces, you should end up with 4.8-5k life which is more than enough to run -max maps without feeling threatened anyway, excepting the occasional boss. Especially once you get used to flask timing and have good monster awareness.

What I advise you to do to get comfortable with certain mods is when you find a map affix you normally wouldn't run right now, put that map off to the side and wait until your next level. Then run it. If you die, no biggie, you aren't going to lose much XP anyway. That way you'll start to get a better sense of how hard certain map mods are for your current life pool and power level.

As for the nerfs, all indications from the developers right now is that PA won't get a nerf for December 11th. Or at least not a significant one. We'll know in about 7-8 days or so when they release the patch notes, but I'm confident in saying this build will survive until at least the end of Talisman.

After that, who knows. But given the investment required in order to get PA good at clearing high-level content, in conjunction with the fact that other OpieOP builds like CoC Mjolner discharge haven't been touched in forever... I find it hard to believe they'd really do anything about PA before addressing other glaring issues in power creep first.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info