[outdated] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+)

"
Serleth wrote:
Other than Poacher's Aim though, to get jewels that well rolled, we may be looking at an expense of (total ballpark estimate) an extra 5-10ex. Which don't get me wrong, is totally worth it, but I don't think we can be reliant on a jewel-based tree for a build that's meant to be cheap for startup and relatively simple to gear.

I will be posting this into the tree section of the guide post for those that want to use it (and I'll probably make this spec change myself, as I get the jewels required).

This. Exactly where my mind is at as well now after an evening of theorythinking and reading your posts. Gonna form something out close to what you came up with, from Scion tho. Which makes refunding points later as inexpensive as possible to where I wanna be when affordable.

Edit: What I had worked out already was very close to your heavy-jewel tree. Corruption nodes gone, Scion start, and another three jewels is all.
Last edited by hoeken on Jul 5, 2015, 2:52:43 AM
=)

The way I would handle levelling this tree personally (for those just joining the conversation, see this post) is to avoid Acrobatics at first, spend the 3 points into the Scion start area investing into the 18% resistance nodes instead, and all the other jewel-access nodes would go into Ranger projectile damage and Scion life.

So the while-we-wait-to-get-good-jewels version of this tree ends up being (compared to the original tree), -2% projectile, +2% all resistance, and +1% maximum life, but -36% evasion rating.

It removes literally all but one jewel socket in order to get that done. So, less defensive, but slightly easier to gear, and a hairball more life.

Thanks for your input, hoeken, very much. I think together we've come up with a more min-maxed version of the build. =)

RE: your edit: yeah, I can see why you'd prefer to go Scion start, but I'm personally fine investing in the respec points if necessary, and I'd prefer to be able to get Corruption earlier so that I don't have to wait on scaling damage by scouring poe.trade for jewels. Just my preference.

EDIT: Phew, just spent an half-an-hour editing the guide's original post. ;)
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Last edited by Serleth on Jul 5, 2015, 3:39:58 AM
Sounds and looks good!

Here I was, simply preaching for a jewel spam like no other, but it turned out to be quite the rewarding conversation I must say! Glad to be of help!

Heh yeah sorry to make you spend so much time on editing! ;)
A very minor tweak to the pathing by Herbalism will net you 1 additional point and 21% Eva at max charges.

Could possibly use it to get the 6% life by Blood Drinker.

http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAF4A7gMeBS0FtQYjCC4PqxUgFr8ZihmOGbQajxvIH0Ej9iSLJpUqTSpbLOktgy5TMHw1kjY9N9Q-zz8nQzFDNkcGR35JE0rITZJRR1KvUuxVS1WFWhpaUmHiYqxlTWf8bAhsjG1sbmluqnTtdct2gnn2e8N9dYTFhNmGs4ngjX2Nfo2_kx-XBpuNm7WdqqXLqJqtSrTFtNG18re2u0274702vea-p8LswzPDOsSiyAzLvdDQ02_TftQj1fjYvdrB2-fdX-OE5ljmgepi7T_tg-968Yr2o_ba-wn-ug==
Last edited by Comfyasabadger on Jul 5, 2015, 4:10:18 AM
@Hoeken

Indeed it did, and well worth it!

Thanks again =D

P.S. I've added a credits section. Consider yourself credited.

@Comfyasabdger holy derpbags, I completely missed that. Thanks! =D Credit to you as well, sir.
Last edited by Serleth on Jul 5, 2015, 4:26:04 AM
I really like your Final Tree now Serleth!

You do ignore flask buffs, but the damage potential makes me willing to go against my urges to buff them. But the most compelling fact is there are Two more jewels within Six points reach, for a grand total of 8.

In no way saying to change it, because it's perfect now. But for the sake of another min-max while we are at it! The 6 points for 2 more jewels are reachable by leveling, say we don't want that. Instead we:

-Grab ourselves an enlighten QoL gem, and remove Charisma nodes. 3points
-Remove the random projectile node beside Sniper. 1point
-Remove the upper left Damage over Time node in Corruption nodes. 1point
-Then we decide to level up once more, even we tho didn't want to. 1point

We might lose a small 6% effect on auras, 10% projectile damage and 9% DoT.

But hey, jewels are OpieOP *Insert quote about jewels*

8% maximum life (P), 13% chaos damage (P), 12% projectile damage (S), 12% DoT

x2

16% maximum life (P), 26% chaos damage (P), 24% projectile damage (S), 24% DoT

- changed nodes correction

Spoiler
Total profit for the above changes, 6% effect on auras has no chance on this, and do mind 6 levels and we don't even have to change anything.
16% maximum life (P), 26% chaos damage (P), 14% projectile damage (S), 15% DoT

=

"
Going all out on jewels (one more time), we get +50% projectile damage, +51% damage over time, +78% chaos damage, +31% life. compared to my original non-Jewel spec.
Previously: +36% projectile damage, +36% damage over time, +52% chaos damage, +15% life.

I'll stop now!

P.S I shall be a ranger the 10th! That last tree convinced me! ;)
"
hoeken wrote:
You do ignore flask buffs, but the damage potential makes me willing to go against my urges to buff them. But the most compelling fact is there are Two more jewels within Six points reach, for a grand total of 8.

Yeah, I wanted to stop the tree around level 88 to provide flex for people to either spend four points to finish off the Acro branch (level 92), or invest in more jewels (94), two flask branches (93), more Scion-area life, or a combination thereof.

As well, you can always get a reduced flask charge used belt to help with that, or increased charges gained, since we aren't going to be using a unique belt.
Last edited by Serleth on Jul 5, 2015, 6:38:13 AM
This looks like a really wonderful build and definitely improved with all of the suggestions and conversations between everyone. I have been lurking over this build since you first posted it on reddit and thought it was wonderful then, it looks even better now! I never played a Poison Arrow build before, and am definitely looking forward to making this my first build in the new league. Hopefully with the wipe coming Monday US time, I'll be able to test out a good leveling process for it.

As a first build and the low chance of getting a Death's Harp when the league is first released, I'd definitely like to see how effective it is like you stated of getting to level 38 with the Rustic Sash recipe and then switching over to a Poison Arrow 4-Link. However, I am a bit worried of even the viability of rolling a +1 to gems level on the bow with the low amount of alteration's I would have at that point, do you think just a 4-Link would do the job until I can purchase a +1/+2 bow from someone for cheap? Or do you think it might just be better to continue using the Rustic Sash Recipe with Split Arrow until I can get to around level 64 and the +2 to Gems and try to roll one?

Thanks and amazing work!

For starting and leveling, I was planning on simply getting to something like this (if It's worth going into Poison Arrow early vs sticking with Split Arrow):

http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAm40ILu2DGY4AXtN-fXX-urvjxKKXBhmKwzoki4ngD6vmWBa_bWyTHwMeJpXmgbVINj1JEx9BYeLLvQYjnaobyFVLYqxsjOOEtMV2gtvnwuy00UcGBbXIDNDQjb9Sr9QjrUrdXzBxZ_y7Td2oS3g6Qg==

And then from there heading down to the duelist area, grabbing most of those nodes and then finally heading up to the scion area. Does this sound like a decent way to go about it? Or do you think it would be faster to just hold off on the PA specific nodes until around 64, and stick with SA / Tornado shot even if I am not able to get a Death's Harp?

I picked up Acrobatics early because honestly I don't see myself being as great a mechanical player as you seem to be in your videos, so I'm not sure if I'd do well without it.

Thank You!
IGN = PancakesYum
Last edited by Raventear on Jul 5, 2015, 3:23:32 PM
"
Raventear wrote:
This looks like a really wonderful build and definitely improved with all of the suggestions and conversations between everyone. I have been lurking over this build since you first posted it on reddit and thought it was wonderful then, it looks even better now! I never played a Poison Arrow build before, and am definitely looking forward to making this my first build in the new league. Hopefully with the wipe coming Monday US time, I'll be able to test out a good leveling process for it.

Thanks! It's been a lot of work refining it and I'm thankful for the community's discussion here and on reddit to help continue to improve it to the final state we see it now. =)

"
As a first build and the low chance of getting a Death's Harp when the league is first released, I'd definitely like to see how effective it is like you stated of getting to level 38 with the Rustic Sash recipe and then switching over to a Poison Arrow 4-Link. However, I am a bit worried of even the viability of rolling a +1 to gems level on the bow with the low amount of alteration's I would have at that point, do you think just a 4-Link would do the job until I can purchase a +1/+2 bow from someone for cheap? Or do you think it might just be better to continue using the Rustic Sash Recipe with Split Arrow until I can get to the +2 to Gems and try to roll one?

What you can do to offset the alteration cost, since you're likely to be banking a reasonable amount of scrolls early on, is ID every blue bow you come across starting at ilvl 28 (when you can get 4Ls) until you find a +2 bow. It's fairly common, shouldn't take you more than 60 bows to find one. Heck, you might even find a rare in that time.

I haven't tested exactly how well a PA works in a +1 gem setup myself, but I'm going to do it after the wipe so that I can refine the leveling process for the guide a bit more. You have the right idea with your tree though, picking up Method and Entropy before making the change over. With slower projectiles now providing more damage, I think it will be viable to start leveling with it at that point but I do want to confirm it before officially making the change in my guide.

"
And then from there heading down to the duelist area, grabbing most of those nodes and then finally heading up to the scion area. Does this sound like a decent way to go about it? Or do you think it would be faster to just hold off on the PA specific nodes until around 64, and stick with SA / Tornado shot even if I am not able to get a Death's Harp?

For leveling with PA, yes, Duelist is probably where I would go myself to pick up the regeneration so I could start running Blood Rage asap and pick up some Frenzy charges to continue scaling the damage that way. I would then likely head to Witch, actually, to pick up the AoE nodes there until Carcass Jack, since running one Andvarius is doable without too much resistance on the tree. After Carcass, I'd pull those nodes out, then move to Scion.

That respec is completely doable with just the quest-earned respec points.

Like I said, still something I need to refine and I'll be updating the guide this week with my recommendation as to whether we should wait to 64 or if we can make the move at 38.
Last edited by Serleth on Jul 5, 2015, 3:31:36 PM
Thanks for your response! I'll definitely be testing it as well this coming beta wipe and will definitely give you my feedback on which I personally preferred. And thank you for the excellent tips with the Witch AoE nodes in the beginning and with the ID'ing of the blue bows to hopefully pick one up while leveling.

Thanks Again! I'm very exciting for the live release and hope when I finally get this build in action I can give some of my own input that I may come across while playing.
IGN = PancakesYum
Last edited by Raventear on Jul 5, 2015, 3:56:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info