Current state of PvP in PoE - Question from a newcomer

Hello,
I'm quite new to Path of Exile, however I'm experienced in most of online game types, especially if it comes to PvP oriented ones.

I'd like to ask you guys how is PvP in PoE.
1. Is PvP popular? If yes, which one - low level or high level?
2. Is PoE more 1v1 or 3v3 oriented?
3. Are tournaments organized on between decent, short periods of time?
4. Is it worth to play PoE if you are PvP-oriented player?
5. Is PoE's PvP Balanced? Please answer me for 1v1, 3v3 in both cases: 28 and Open.
6. Is CTF popular?
7. Is it worth to spend massive amounts of time to develop your high level character with proper gear or is it better just to stick to low level pvps?
8. Is anything going to change in upcoming 2.0, PvP-wise?
9. Is every character viable? Are there FOTMs that just rule on current condition of the game?
10. Do you need to create separate character for PvP and separate for PvE purposes?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Hoshee
Hello Hoshi,

1. It's fairly popular, however I honestly think it was better pre 1.3, before all the ggg did(which obviously was good) and somehow a lot of people either just got bored or got dissapointed since a lot of people I know did loose their interest in pvp. Regarding which is more active to date, I'd honestly say HLD as there's always people in the sarn arenas, ladder wise LLD is possibly a bit more active though not by a hugh ammount.

2. After playing 1000s of 1v1 I find them pointless, it's not really much tactic but rather rush/hope to counter your enemy. 3v3 is where atleast most I know have the most fun. It requires a syngergized team as well as good tactics and knowledge.

3. The 2 seasons that were post 1.3 were both good, though they were mainly for LLD with some HLD events, during the seasons they're frequent and compact, and between leagues theres pretty much no tourneys besides a few that's made by the community rather than the devs. There's however plenty of things to do PvP wise
* Sarn arena can be fun, especially when it's crowded
* 1v1 on ladder and against your friends to sharpen your skills
* 3v3 ^read above
* Min/max your build both gearwise and buildwise
* Try new stuff, even if you dont have the ultimate gear or min/maxed build it can be fun

4. I'd say though, however expect it to be expensive. Even though HLD is really expensive, LLD can get quite expensive as well so I'd suggest you to learn the game from playing it to the end gtame a few times, read different posts/guides/other information as well as gather currency and resources

5. To a certain degree. A lot of people that never played HLD are favouring LLD in terms of balance and saying HLD isn't however it just needs a few minor tweaks ehre and there and in 3v3's it's quite okay. Can't say too much about LLD as I only played it a little but as far as I can tell it's reasonable balanced.

6. CTF is the most fun gamebattles(or well any 3v3) and if you find a team it's fun, however queueing solo is pointless.

7. It's what you find the most fun. I find HLD more fun as its more fast paced and it's more versatile with the access of all gems and different tree combination. But it comes with its price, HLD is more expensive than LLD. Some people find LLD more fun too, it's just a matter of what you like.

8. There are several changes to some of the gems' required level, which mostly affects LLD. Some supports will be gone while some other will be new. As the PvE change, PvP changes too to a certain extinct. If I remember correctly I read somewhere they are rethinking prices of different crafts you can get through vendors.

9. Every character, no.
Other characters than FoTM, yes.
However a lot of this depends on what you mean with viable. Viable as in winning every other tournament or atlesat getting a few wins here and there and able to compete atleast among the top 50?

10. For HLD most people level their characters first with PvE in mind and when they either found it boring to continue leveling, or when they hit the level they were striving for they often change their characters to a PvP character. Although some people, like myself, likes the game from both a PvE and a PvP perspective and therefor I got tons of characters. Some of which I could just for PvP in a new passive respecc if I want or just carry on in the PvE game.

For LLD you can create level 28 pvp characters only with a fresh tree and quite shitty gear, so the gear you'll have to farm for yourself on another character. Note, if you got a hideout and create a PvP-only character you will not be able to join the arena.

-Tommie
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
Hey Tommie. Big thanks for replying to my questions. Now, I've got a general idea.
Last edited by HoshiQQ on May 26, 2015, 12:24:21 PM
I'd like to add that your first attempts will probably be really brutal. Top players are doing tons of DPS while it look they are taking no damage at all. They are also a few hidden mechanic like damage conversion and elemental penetration to learn so you can be effective.

The biggest change coming in 2.0 regarding pvp for me is the end of the infamous cwdt/EC/IC/Duration combo who made physical damage pretty useless and the new fortify buff who will probably impact Elemental users a lot.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info