idea for enemy only debuff/curse

starvation

causes players to use significantly increased mana/life on skill use for a long duration.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
It seems similar to the map mod "Players have 50% reduced health and mana regeneration rate"
similar in the sense of casting and attacking less often, but different in that, even if you have pots or excess regen, you would still end up with heavily restricted casts.
every enemy skill or debuff sounds like a good idea, until you realize Path Of Exile doesn't have the tools to allow monsters' strategic use.

in order to have legitimate monster tactics and use of debuffs, monsters need to have AI and a well-defined pack composition in every single part of the game.
i.e one "hex master" type of monster coming with a specific-composition pack, that curses with a cooldown, while its "minions" go in to take advantage.

instead, the end result in PoE would likely be huge packs of monster types using this curse (especially in maps), spamming, cheesing and frustrating players endlessly.
imagine a bunch of monsters endlessly putting Temporal Chains and Silence on your char, and you'll know how bad this would be.
bonus points if they are Devourers.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
johnKeys wrote:
every enemy skill or debuff sounds like a good idea, until you realize Path Of Exile doesn't have the tools to allow monsters' strategic use.

entirely valid point... rare monster only mod?

hmm, rare devourer with "200% more mana costs" on a blood magic reaver.... oh the tasty suffering.
"
svnhddbst wrote:
"
johnKeys wrote:

hmm, rare devourer with "200% more mana costs" on a blood magic reaver.... oh the tasty suffering.

extra crit + extra damage + life regen + Starvation Devourer.
comes with a pack of "Deadly" blue ones.
I'll call you for help when I see it.

and keep in mind I just took down two Beyond Bosses in rapid succession (Ephij and Tzteosh. Act 2 Merciless), prior to writing this.
still scared at the prospect of what your suggestion can create, given PoE's existing system.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
svnhddbst wrote:
"
johnKeys wrote:
every enemy skill or debuff sounds like a good idea, until ...

extra crit + extra damage + life regen + Starvation Devourer.
comes with a pack of "Deadly" blue ones.
I'll call you for help when I see it.

and keep in mind I just took down two Beyond Bosses in rapid succession (Ephij and Tzteosh. Act 2 Merciless), prior to writing this.
still scared at the prospect of what your suggestion can create, given PoE's existing system.

on the one hand, that does indeed sound horrifying... goal achieved then, most rares are just "ooohh bonus xp" if this mod adds an element of "oh god no" that doesn't actually instagib you like a ghosted abaxoth might. scary non-instagibs is something poe needs more of.

also keep in mind, ggg likes fair mass-murder of their players.

dying while you knew you were vulnerable to a certain mob, but chose not to carry a countermeasure, is entirely your fault. carrying a warding quicksilver of heat is just generally a good idea, this would just reinforce that. also would be an big indirect buff to vaal clarity.
Last edited by svnhddbst on May 24, 2015, 1:14:19 PM
"
carrying a warding quicksilver of heat

Warding and Heat mods cannot exist in the same flask
my bad, forgot both are suffixes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info