Chance to shock, freeze and ignite

I've been a bit confused about chance to shock freeze and ignite. I use molten strike and have resolute technique. I cant crit, but I have 10% from passives to chance shock freeze and ignite. My aps is 11.5. I also use wrath, herald of thunder and ash. Does that mean, given my attack speed and skill and support choices, I will more or less be always shocking freezing and igniting??
Well, you'll certainly be igniting constantly. But shocking and freezing, not necessarily. This is because you need to deal a certain percentage of the target's life in lightning/cold damage (1.1% for shock, 3% for freeze) per hit in order to actually apply the shock. This is because the duration of a shock or freeze is calculated based on the percentage of the mob's life dealt by the hit, and if it is less than 0.3 seconds it doesn't apply at all.

(Meanwhile, ignite duration is always 4 seconds and always applies regardless of the amount of damage dealt. It's only the damage of the burn that scales.)

(Also, I assume you mean Hatred rather than Wrath, as otherwise you wouldn't have any source of cold damage. Making that assumption, you'll likely be able to freeze regular mobs, but won't have much luck freezing or shocking rares/uniques with that setup.)
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on May 22, 2015, 9:05:00 AM
Sorry yes I mean hatred. Thanks for the explanation. My tooltip dps is about 42k and then of course there are the projectiles so i believe I do fulfill the 1.1% and 3% thresholds for most mobs. Exciting!
Careful. It's not about DPS. It's about damage per hit. You have to meet the threshold in a single hit. I certainly doubt you'll be able to do that for too many mobs with your relatively small amount of lightning damage, although freezing should work for a lot of things.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Ah I see. Thanks so much. Your explanation has been very helpful :)
You could try The Three Dragons helmet to shock fairly constantly, just like we do on incinerate build. You can expect a sensible damage boost.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info