How bad is this aura tank tree?

So, been messing with an idea for an aura tank, over the top nothing serious....but how bad is this?

want to run determination, vitality, discipline, haste, reduced mana, and tempest shield on shirt;

the three purity with reduced mana on hat.

i just wanta see what i can do with a templar aura tank, but im really not sure what to do with it. advice please?
Last edited by Bitle on May 15, 2015, 11:23:22 PM
The biggest problem with this build is that you get blood magic, meaning all of your auras reserve a % of your life instead of your mana, and you have no energy shield to back it up. You are reserving approximately 80% of your life running all these auras so your life nodes are only giving you 1/5th of their normal effectiveness and you only have 3 energy shield nodes so you're not going to have more than 1-2k energy shield max. You won't be very tanky at all.

If you want to run a huge number of auras, you have two options.
#1. pick up every aura node in the skill tree and go life based
#2. go low life (reserve your life with auras and use energy shield for your life pool)

Life based would look something like this

The only aura cluster you don't get in this build is the champion of the cause notable at the bottom of the tree because it is simply too far away to be efficient. This build also has an absurd amount of life and a lot of energy shield as well.

Low life would look something like this

You focus only on energy shield as your primary life pool and use the blood magic keystone to reserve your life down to at least 35%, this way you can benefit from things like pain attunement permanently. Low life requires that you use either a solaris lorica or shavronne's wrapping's unique chest piece so that you don't die to chaos damage, which pierces through your energy shield.

Cautionary notes:
Tank builds are really boring and just not worth it solo. If you're in a group and don't mind doing absolutely no damage, you might enjoy it anyway.

In the upcoming awakening expansion they are changing the amount of mana that auras reserve, changing the reduced mana gem to no longer work on auras, and changing the enlighten gem to affect auras instead. We really don't know what effect these changes will have on pure aura builds yet because none of the numbers are solidified, but you may want to hold off on making an aura based build until we know the changes for sure.
How to make currency in Path of Exile, a comprehensive guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Ig9_8XjC8
Thank you for some insight, i was unaware of the upcoming changes, so i think i shall wait to see what the new tree, gems, and aura changes will be. i must messed up the math and used .4 instead of .04 for the 4% nodes....thank you for the correction.

you have much more efficient pathing than i do it seems, and i keep feeling like maybe scion is better for auras at this time.

thank you for the time to help streamline the build :)

it's mostly just to see if i can pull aura tank, i like the concept (i know, it's clear time and solo ability is a bit sub par). time to wait for the expansion :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info